Video of the day!

Anything and everything about the Utah BMX scene.

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

bnd
Information Minister

Video of the day!

Postby bnd » Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:10 pm

Since there is a break in the race action locally & nationally, we here at UTBMX are breaking out the video archives for your viewing pleasure.

First up is some indoor jump & race action from 98'. Take a look at how tight this track was, & there was plenty of action to go around.

1. A jumping contest that had Matt Berringer, Tim Thompson, Mike Aiken, Ray Hudson, to name a few in it.

2. 26-30 cruiser action. Kevin Sleater gets the pop, but here comes Spencer going low into that 1ft' tall second berm & all heck breaks loose. That's Jason Melton sneaking bye & getting the win.

3. 31-35 cruiser. All SORTS of crazy bmxer's getting loose in this main, including Don Healey! Can you count how many guys go down in this moto?

To be fair, this facility was extremely tight, especially with an 8-man gate. I remember if there was an 8-man gate, everyone had to scoot outward so everybody could fit on the darn thing. Good times!

http://www.utahbmx.com/bnd/loganindoorscrashmains98.wmv

b.

Punk-Biker940
GT

Postby Punk-Biker940 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:24 pm

thats cool!! Is logan indoor still a track?

FLYNHIGH
Flynhighbmx Webmaster

Postby FLYNHIGH » Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:58 pm

bnd, between me and you, I would like to see anybody today try to ride that track. That thing is TIGHT! I don't think when we, (Alex, here's your answer) TP and my family, ran it the track our track was that crazy small! Since spring 04 it has been closed.

I'm not to sure on my years, but wasn't Logan first run by Randy Roberts who also ran the Preston, Idaho, track (from ???? to around 99)? Then Steve Tooler (spelling?) and Mike Evalson (Tyler's dad) ran it for a few years (00 to about 01). Since they could not compete with the prime indoor track, Tooele Indoor (too bad we lost that one), they shut it down. Then during the winter of 03-04 my family (Healeys) and the Parry's (TP's family) built the track up for a few weekends.

I'm sure, bnd, you can remember the correct years?

Those wooden table tops were scary! My dad separated his shoulder on the little one in the second straight... that thing had very little transition!

I would like to note the backside on the last roller.... wait a minute... What Backside???? The landing is a lip!

BTW, the official in the second corner (stands infront of the camera) is Riley Hall's dad. I raced Riley for a long time, I hear he is into that horse stuff now... I think he came out to Rad Indoor once to watch.

See if you can find anyone else in the video!!!

Definately had some fun racing and memories in that building.

Thanks for posting, 1984... I mean, bnd!!!

FLYNHIGH
Flynhighbmx Webmaster

Postby FLYNHIGH » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:09 pm

The guy with the white baseball hat standing to the left of the two guys in yellow while the 2nd gate is going, (I think) is Mason Schenevar's dad (R.I.P).

FLYNHIGH
Flynhighbmx Webmaster

Postby FLYNHIGH » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:12 pm

The little kid standing of the fence (white jersey and helmet) while both gates are going looks like Tyson Moll.

tmoll

Postby tmoll » Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:48 pm

yup thats me! haha

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:16 pm

Ok, off the top of my head......& I might be off alittle on dates so forgive me.

- Logan Indoors started up at the start of the 97' season. I think Randy Roberts & Steve Spencer brought it online the first season.

- The last season was 2000 *I think*. They had a Redline Cup race, I showed up, thought the track was dangerous & left. I never returned until the Healeys & Parrys ran a few races a few years later.

- Roberts also ran the Preston track from 97' - about 99'-00'. That track was well worth the 2hr. drive & I have many a good memory from racing there.

- Those wooden tables were damn scary! I have Don's crash on video. I have Chris Sleaters crash, where he broke his collarbone on vid too. Those things kicked you really weird.

- The first couple of years ruled there........Idaho was in the house just as much as Utah was it seemed like. The arena was good in those early years but then in 99', the crowds got bigger, the rider count really grew & it just turned into a royal you-know-what because staging was a nightmare as was just getting around the place.

Iv'e got a TON more vid's from that place. I know the thread is called "Vid of the day" but here's alittle extra for today.

This is one of my "Keepers". I was standing on the infield shooting some practice when I noticed a shiny, new quarter about halfway down the first straight in lane 8. Melton beat me to it.............

http://www.utahbmx.com/bnd/meltondorkin.wmv :lol:

b.

FLYNHIGH
Flynhighbmx Webmaster

Postby FLYNHIGH » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:26 pm

Nice socks Jason!

bmx_tyler
Schwinn

Postby bmx_tyler » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:48 pm

B
that is awesome!!!!! I love the older race videos. I know the two guys in the yellow jackets. They are EMT who worked with my dad. We used to have to make the berms by hand. We would drive fence post into the ground and build it up.

The first jumper is Matt Berringer. The second is John Cross from Preston Idaho.

If you hear the announcer it sounds like he said Melton, Spencer and Critchfrield. Ronald critchfield that awesome. I think he hurt his knee at a Logan indoor race.
Tyler Edvalson

bmx_tyler
Schwinn

Postby bmx_tyler » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:51 pm

Jason your my hero!!!!!
Tyler Edvalson

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:14 pm

Ok, one more for tomorrow........

1993 Twin Peaks BMX in Murray. This was the summer I got back into it. I was sporting my old yellow Free Agent, open face helmet, Patterson jersey from 10 years earlier & sweatpants. The other riders were Tracy Myers & David Hoffman. Dave came back a few years ago & raced for about a year. This was about a year or so before tracks started to get real technical. I have never seen a rythem section until Rad Canyon opened up in 96'.

http://www.utahbmx.com/bnd/93twinpeaksbrucemoto.wmv

b.

FLYNHIGH
Flynhighbmx Webmaster

Postby FLYNHIGH » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:30 pm

That is sooo cool! I think I started late 94. I seem to remember a huge banzi down the third straight... didn't see it in the video (maybe I can't see it).

One memory I have of Twin Peaks is when my dad got on someone's bike and hyperextended his leg on the first jump (a step up triple I think). Do you have any footage of when I would have started racing there bnc?

It was a sad day when they closed down that track... I can't believe it is still an empty field...

FLYNHIGH
Flynhighbmx Webmaster

Postby FLYNHIGH » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:34 pm

Just imagine, one day we will look back at the videos I have been taking and think, "Man, that track was not even technical whatsoever!"

flymom
NEXT

Postby flymom » Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:27 pm

I think you should break out some video of the dirt diva and I tearing it up! :lol: That should be good for a laugh or two! :D

ali
aka flymom

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:43 pm

I'll find something Ali.

This is some footage from 99'.

- Tanner Park trails. Danita crashing, me....back when I had some sort of skills & no house payment.

- Mile High nats. This was the first race I raced after a broken collarbone the previous year. Danita battling it out in cruiser.

- Preston, Idaho. Roland, Jace Proctor & myself had some great races up there.

http://www.utahbmx.com/bnd/99trailsmilehighpreston.wmv

b.

Return to “UtahBMX”