Roadie Scum

Anything and everything about the Utah BMX scene.

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

bnd
Information Minister

Roadie Scum

Postby bnd » Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:18 pm

Matt Spencer, Mark Miller, Rich & Kim Hardy, & myself went out to Rocky Mt. Raceway for the Tuesday night Crit. series. It was Matt's first time & my first time in 3 months. We signed up for the "D" class & there was about 30 or so racers. Mark is a "C" racer & he raced first & after he was done he deceided to jump in with us & show Matt the ropes. You go 30 minutes then they ring a bell for the last lap.
The weather was overcast & not too hot so it was perfect. I did this at the beginning of the spring & got my ass kicked from the get-go & was determined not to let that happen again. We all took off & the pace wasn't that bad for the first 3-4 laps. We all hung as a group, with the main group. Mark set the pace & I dived right behind him for the rest of the race. The pace picked up around lap 6-7 & we were still right there. There was water on the far side of the track & that worried me as I had my front wheel drift on me in some of the faster corners but I managed to stay up. With 2 laps to go I was feeling great, I thought to myself I might have a shot at this but on the far side the leaders broke some & I got dropped by about 30 yards. Mark paced me back up to the lead group over the first part of the dragstrip & I found myself in about 5th halfway down. Mark slid back for a second & I decided to take the lead going into the first corner. I stayed there for about a hundred yards but knew I couldn't hold it, so I sat up & waited for the lead group. About 10 guys passed me including Mark, I was suffering but managed to re-group going onto the last straight. The leaders had about 50 yards on me as I was in 11th, I drafted behind a guy then all of a sudden he peeled off & I just about endoed into a guy that was spent. I went around both of them & Mark raced me to the line, 9th place overall.
I had a great time even though I was kicking, belly-aching, & not really wanting to go out tonight. Matt looked like he had a good time & Mark, the dude is in seriously awesome shape.

Here are some pic's & if anybody wants to see what kind of shape they are in, it costs $7, you don't need to be a member & it's alot of fun. Get ahold of me if your interested.

Mark in the lead with me right behind.

Rich & Kim in the orange jerseys.

Mark & I in there somewhere.

b.
Last edited by bnd on Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:21 pm

Mark & I.

Mark, Rich, Kim, Bruce & Matt.

b.

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:21 pm

:D

TP

Postby TP » Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:26 pm

b,

I think that is so awesome!!! I talked to Mark last week at Rad and he looked great. I think it looks like alot of fun!! I don't know if I could make it but it does look fun!! race on boys, I think your all awesome!!! TP

J Gallo
Web Guy

Postby J Gallo » Wed Jul 21, 2004 7:47 am

I could barely talk my wife into letting me buy Mark's 20" Staats, so it might be awhile before I could ever purchase road biking equipment. But hopefully that day will come, cause I would love to try it. Looks like you guys had a great time!

Bruce, thanks for taking the time to post a report and pictures!
Gallo
"The ability to walk fully upright is overrated. Along with tying your own shoes."

sspencer
Factory Bikini Cuts Hotshoe

Postby sspencer » Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:18 am

That is awesome you guys!!! Congrats on getting out there and doing it. You should start a team. By the looks of the spandex group photo you should call yourselves "Team Moose Knuckle" or the "Plum Smugglers" :P

Steve :twisted:

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:14 pm

Thanks for the props people. I know this is called "Utah BMX.com" but I've learned that a cyclist can not live by BMX alone. A few of us including myself like to be well rounded when it comes to the different aspects of the sport of biking. Showing what some of the other BMX racers are doing with their "off BMX" time is OK with me. Road riding/racing is cheap compared to BMX, at least to get started. You can pick up a good road bike in the paper or in a pawn shop for a few hundred bucks. The saftey equipment you can get for less than $100 bucks. You can do this on a Mt. bike too, the guy who took 4th was on a slick shod Cannondale.
I remember a few years ago I wouldn't be caught dead on a road bike but I got on one & realized that it wasn't bad & it gets you in shape faster than anything else you could possibly do. Like I said if anybodys interested, I could round up a bike & gear & go from there.

When indoors starts back up, look out! Hopefully Mark, Rich & I will have some sort of power to hang with Rythem Time.

b.

JasonStout
GT

I'm interested!

Postby JasonStout » Thu Jul 22, 2004 1:31 am

Let me dust off and tune up my road bike, and I'll see if I can still fit into the lycra.....For sure count me in the next time you ride!

Moose knuckle....STEVE YOU ARE KILLING ME! LMBO!

Great pics you guys. Keep in touch about the next time you ride.

JS

p.s.- I went and checked out the DMV riding. The course seems more technical, and the hill looks like it can kill. Go Lance!

rythum time
Schwinn

Postby rythum time » Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:06 pm

Looks like you guys had a great time. Watch out Lance! Bruce I hardly recognized you with those big guns of yours. :D As far as power don't worry about that just put a roller or double in my way and you guys will blow by me.

Rick

justinsbmxmom
SE Floval Flyer

Postby justinsbmxmom » Thu Jul 22, 2004 1:18 pm

Bruce, I must say you look like Handy Smurf.
Jenni - SE Ridin' BMX Chic

Return to “UtahBMX”