local goes head over heals for his favorite track!

Anything and everything about the Utah BMX scene.

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

greg
2004 36-40 Cruiser State Champ

local goes head over heals for his favorite track!

Postby greg » Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:01 am

I know it has been floating around for awhile, but the picture of Travis Healey doing cartwheels over the triple at the Great Salt Lake National making a major BMX publication has to be pretty cool.

I didn't see anyone else mention it, and I was flipping through the latest BMX World magazine (no pun intended lol), and towards the back of the mag is a full page picture of Travis's crash over the triple going into the first turn.

I know it's not exactly the type of publicity that you would like to have Travis, but congrat's anyway. It's good to have your name out there and be recognized. That pic is definately going on my office wall (of course there might be a few captions or something added to it.....).
Greg "how long does it take you to crash" prawitt

Curtis Newkirk
Photog Extraordinaire

Postby Curtis Newkirk » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:54 am

Sweet!

Greg, have you been able to find BMX World locally?
~Curtis

greg
2004 36-40 Cruiser State Champ

Postby greg » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:27 am

Barnes and Nobles in Jordan Landing has it. They seem to get about 3 or 4 copies in each month.

If you all haven't checked this mag out, you should. It is very well put together, covering MOSTLY racing with a little dirt and vert thrown in.

This month's issue covered the Great Salt Lake national, with nothing but great things to say about our local scene.
Greg "how long does it take you to crash" prawitt

sspencer
Factory Bikini Cuts Hotshoe

Postby sspencer » Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:15 am

Rather than running around tryng to find a copy everyone should go out and get a subscription. My good buddy Greg Leasure is the Advertising/US correspondent for BMX World and Salt Lake is his favorite national each year :D

Steve
Last edited by sspencer on Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spence'- dizzle fo'- shizzle
UTAH BMX Charter Member

Curtis Newkirk
Photog Extraordinaire

Postby Curtis Newkirk » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:26 am

sspencer wrote:One interesting note about the picture of Travis.......... he is riding in pro practice at the national which is a no-no for am's. Caught chya' Trav'! :wink:

Oh, the horror! A top Am testing his mettle with the pros! :P

In his defense I think I saw Bradford out there too :twisted:
~Curtis

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:35 pm

I was in pro practice Sunday morning. After 4-5 runs Leasure kicked me off the gate.
I figured since the pros ALWAYS come early for our 20" practice & take gates away from the am's........

b.

FLYNHIGH
Flynhighbmx Webmaster

Postby FLYNHIGH » Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:08 pm

I first saw the full-page pic right after I-Bike; Halvey brought back a copy. I actually knew it was going to be in there when I was laying on the ground and Mooney put the back of the camera in my helmet and he told me it would be in there. I was like, "awww.... Oh, cool!!!.... ohhhh!" :lol:

My parents picked up two copies at B&N, and I'm thinking about getting a subscription myself. Let me just say this about the mag; there is more coverage, stories, etc than ads!!! It takes a good hour to carefully read everything in it!!! Definitely recommended! :D

TP and Arielle's name made it as well in the GSL coverage; page 85 infact!. There's a picture of TP and they mentioned him beating C$ and getting the double-Ws in the race report!

I already told them, but big thanks to Mooney and Leasure!!!

sspencer

Postby sspencer » Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:53 pm

Yo B'
You were riding in pro practice too! Shame on you. That is like letting a little kid play in traffic.... you might get ran over son :P

If you want to ride so badly why dont you come out to a regular race or practice :twisted:

B, how about a grudge race at the indoor? I havent been riding, packed on 20 extra pounds, will be on a new bike, will be sick, will have two pockets full of change, ......

Lets go buddy,
Steve

UTAH BMX Charter Member

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:50 pm

If you remember correctly, I was mad as hell after Saturdays 2nd moto, mad enough to sign up for Sunday & you know I NEVER race on Sunday. Needless to say my bad luck turned even worse on Sunday.

Oh, and your little "challenge", reminds me of that great John Wayne classic "The Cowboys". There's a quote in that movie that fits you to the tee, it goes.....

"I've broke my back once, and my hip twice. And on my worst day I could still beat the hell out of you."

Go pick on Melton or Gallo, this dog don't hunt.

b.

JasonStout
GT

Postby JasonStout » Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:09 am

Who's #27 on the AA's anyway- How come you're ahead of him, and you're not even on your bike, Trav? Now that's good press!

Bruce- I still want your pedals! Give me a hint man!!!

Hope to see you at the races Steve

JS

sspencer

Postby sspencer » Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:32 am

Hey b'.
I also have a favorite John Wayne quote from the movie Stagecoach:
"Well, there are some things a man just can't run away from."
Be vewy quiet.... I am hunting Bwuce.... heehehehe.

Stout,
#27 is Tyler Brown (World #6 Elite Cruiser)..... he aint no slouch thats for sure.

I will be at the indoor Friday to build and race... for fun

No excuses,
Steve

UTAH BMX Charter Member

Extreme Team Coach
GHP

Postby Extreme Team Coach » Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:39 am

I want to witness the event it would be like turbo Vs Nitro Very COOL !!!!!!!
2010 ABA NATIONAL #1 TROPHY TEAM

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:08 pm

B, how about a grudge race at the indoor?

Also............I don't recall me ever having a grudge against you, other than cursing you under my breath for having skills that I have yet to find in my 20+ years or racing. :roll:
How about turning your attention to guys that need to REALLY get out on the track (at least I raced a few times this year!) like Newkirk, Oblad, Slick Rick, Treadway, Danita, Big Rob Passey, newbie Matt Petty, Kevin & Chris Sleater, the Fly Mom, Critchfield, Mark "the snake" Miller.....the list goes on.

I jacked myself up again last week (Gallo is my witness), I will not be riding anytime soon, that includes RC indoors coming up. I'm going to nurse my back until the Dec. races. Hopefully I'll be back in some sort of shape to race. Riding is one thing, racing is another & my back is a mess the day after doing gates. It's just not worth the trade off for me nowadays. I do have a new cruiser & ordering a new uniform so I will be racing again sometime...... :D

I will be out video taping races Saturday night & hopefully seeing platform Vinnie turning expert 8)

b.

Return to “UtahBMX”