4 year-olds?

Anything and everything about the Utah BMX scene.

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

b2
Not a Troll!

4 year-olds?

Postby b2 » Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:53 am

My boy just turned 4 and I took the training wheels off of his bike last Sunday and he's riding like he's been without them for years. I think he'd like to try riding the track--we even drove out to Rad Canyon yesterday and he was bummed that the place was closed... he kept saying "they should wait for me, daddy!"

So, I guess the question is, are there many youngsters that come to Rad Canyon? If I bring him out there on Tuesday (I've seen the schedule, only a couple Tuesdays left), will he have a hard time or be in everyone's way?

A tiny history of me and BMX, I guess. I grew up in central Utah. There was no organized BMX happening in the mid to late 80s. My dad pushed up some dirt and we kinda had a track in a field west of town... my older brothers and friends got me into it. They hit 16 and didn't care about BMX any more and I started to do some flatland freestyle. I always wanted to race but never did. Now that I live in the SLC area and my son has the chance to experience organized BMX, I think he'd enjoy it--I'd at least like to give him the chance. And I'd like to get back into it--but I'll need to find me a bike--unless I convert my little bros. Haro Sport :twisted:

Here's my son:

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:16 pm

Awesome!

The 5 & under classes look pretty good, esp. when indoors starts. Start him off at RC down the last straight & go from there. The starting hill can be very intimitating for the little ones.

You can check out the want ads here at the site. I know "Tread" has some great deals on some newer cruisers, PM him.

....Oh yeah, welcome to the site!

b.

mackdaddy
Resident Sushi Expert

Postby mackdaddy » Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:08 pm

The 5 and under class is a big one most of the time. Like bnd said indoor its bigger. We had 19 riders for that class at one time.

Bring him out to the track on Tues he wont be in the way and will love it!
Jason Melton
Overland Group
jmelton@overlandcorp.com
http://www.jasonsellsslc.com
(801)860-9357

b2
Not a Troll!

Postby b2 » Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:24 pm

Thanks for the info and the welcome!

I'm going to try to make it out to RC this Tues. I'll have to cruise to get from Bountiful, to Holladay and then BFE-West :D. Hopefully in enough time to at least let him have a few runs. How much structure is there to the "practice" nights?

Also, on the helmets, will the lightweight he's wearing above be good enough? I see a lot of full-face helmets in the pics on the little kids. Wally-World has some "X-Games" helmets but they're a little big still. He was bummed because one was his favorite--blue.

And I guess I need to get a top tube and stem pad.

The top tube on his Hot Rock is kinda fat and connects to the down tube (seen below). I'll check with Spin Cycle (needs new grips anyhow) on those pads or go to Home Depot and get me some pipe insulation and home grow some.

Oh, what about the chain gaurd? Is it ok to leave that on?

I'm not always this wordy... :P Just getting excited for the little guy!

greg
2004 36-40 Cruiser State Champ

Postby greg » Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:53 am

welcome b2

I second bnd with starting your son off on the last straight and letting him get used to just riding the small stuff first.

Tuesday practice is usually not too structured, but sometimes is broken up into age groups of 14 over, 13 under type thing. It's a great time to check things out and get used to the track, and there is no pressure. If you have questions when you're out there, don't hesitate to ask just about anyone.

As for the bike and helmet. The helmet he has is "legal", but not really ideal for protection. It's comes down to a personal choice I guess. I'd strongly suggest a full face. There are loaners at the track if you want to just let him try it out. Pads on the bike are not required anymore, so it is a personal choice too. I suggest at least the neck pad, but wouldn't sweat the top bar pad. The chain guard and any reflectors do have to come off, grips have to cover bar ends, and brakes have to work. Make sure he has on long sleeves and long pants, and for his first few rides, it probably wouldn't hurt to have the knee and elbow pads on too, just to help cussion the fall that he'll surely have.

see ya at the track.
Greg "how long does it take you to crash" prawitt

UtahLori
Utah's Girl Pro Mom

Postby UtahLori » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:33 pm

My daughter is still mad at me for making her wait till she was 5 and she is 21 now so if he is game-go for it but like the suggestions given, start off small. I might even go with the big wheel races at first just to get his feet wet.

Good luck and make sure it's all about the fun!

LM
You can't always change your destination overnight but you can change your direction.

b2
Not a Troll!

Postby b2 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:39 pm

Return to “UtahBMX”