Recreation committee seeks OK for Ogden BMX track

Anything and everything about the Utah BMX scene.

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

D Dale
GT

Recreation committee seeks OK for Ogden BMX track

Postby D Dale » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:30 am

I just read this on KUTV.com... This would be great!!!!

OGDEN, Utah (AP) - Ogden's High Adventure Recreation Committee is seeking city approval to convert an old landfill site into a BMX bike track.

Committee members will ask the city planning commission for a conditional-use permit this week. The Weber County-owned property sits on Ogden's "A" Ave.

Ogden's chief administrative officer John Patterson says plans for the track include two loops with 10-foot-high berms at each end. The facility would also be equipped with an office, announcer's tower and a public address system.

Patterson says a nonprofit BMX organization plans to manage the facility, which could host regional racing competitions.

Costs to develop the track are still being calculated.

JAlvey
GT

Re: Recreation committee seeks OK for Ogden BMX track

Postby JAlvey » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:03 pm

Ogden and it's mayor are very aggresive about trying to turn Ogden into an "outdoor/action sports destination" . They've already recruited a number of ski and outdoor companies to the area. They are trying to build a gondola from Ogden over the top to SnowBasin. They've built the iFly/ice wall/ etc at the salomon center. The BMX track is part of a larger cycling complex that is in the final planning stages. It will include a track cycling velodrome and some road bike stuff. USA Cycling is looking at moving to Ogden from Colorado Springs along with that in 2009 or 2010.

A BMX track will fit in really well there, and there's a ton of kids up here who want to race, but can't make it to So Jordan.

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:55 pm

The staff here at Utah BMX.com have been quietly aware of this for some time now but were told by our informants to keep this under wraps for the time being. I'm sure our guy will lay this out when it all comes together. Those $20 handshakes sure come in handy sometimes, Good luck!

b.
“Sometimes if you want to see a change for the better, you have to take things into your own hands.”

Trunions
Huffy

Postby Trunions » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:12 pm

They are meeting Aug 6th. A few of us want out to the site a few weeks ago, it has alot of promise. If anyone wants to help get with Dan Patterson, he has been working really hard to get this track going.There is alot to be done and Dan knows better than I what we have to do.

Diesel
AA Pro Track Sweeper

Postby Diesel » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:38 pm

Just got the call from our guy Josh, who is on vacation. John Patterson called him with the news that the planning commision has approved our conditional use permit! Good news for us! Another obstacle put behind us!!! Now it's on to the next pedaling hard.
We are looking really good at this point! I was out there tonight and met the neighbors. Norma and her son LeeRoy seem like nice folks!

Sometime soon, I'll sit down and fill in the blanks for everyone out there. At this point, I think it's pretty much a done deal with the land so it's worth spreading the word out. I think the support is out there so we may be in business by mid 09 if things come together!

Diesel
Man made Global Warming is a HOAX!
Al Gore and his boy's gonna take you to the cleaners while they get bank!
Stop Obamacare, Cap and Tax and Alien Amnesty!

greg
2004 36-40 Cruiser State Champ

Postby greg » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:10 am

This is FREAKIN' awesome!!!!

Dan.....You are the MAN! If there is anything I can do to help, dont hesitate to let me know.

Ogden area certainly has the population to support a track, and same with Provo. These areas need tracks! Can you all imagine what kind of series we can have with Rad, Deseret Peak, Ogden, and Provo? The big point weekends would be off the hook BIG with all of the racers converging to one track. This needs to happen to drive Utah into the BMX stratosphere.
Greg "how long does it take you to crash" prawitt

Return to “UtahBMX”