Travis Healey turns Pro in Reno.

Anything and everything about the Utah BMX scene.

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

bnd
Information Minister

Travis Healey turns Pro in Reno.

Postby bnd » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:19 am

I saw that he turned up with him & T.P. making the A-Pro main & doing quite well, congrats!

Is this a start of some older, faster local Ams turning up & creating a solid pro class here in the state?

b.
“Sometimes if you want to see a change for the better, you have to take things into your own hands.”

b2
Not a Troll!

Re: Travis Healey turns Pro in Reno.

Postby b2 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:37 pm

Dude! That's sweet! Congrats Travis!

UtahLori
Utah's Girl Pro Mom

Postby UtahLori » Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:18 pm

Congrats Travis!

Arielle called me all excited about how well you were riding.

That is fantastic! :D

LM
You can't always change your destination overnight but you can change your direction.

JasonStout
GT

Postby JasonStout » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:21 pm

Travis,

Hey man. What to say. We've had so many conversations about this decision- and you finally did it. Not a minute too soon if you're making your main in Reno. TP will be a great travel buddy too! I can probably speak for many when I say it's been a great thing to watch you grow up on the track and see you progress as a rider and a person.

Best of luck in your new profession! So many of us couldn't and wouldn't make this huge step. We'll all be living the dream through you!

(Now go do your sprints and manual stuff for practice.)...j/k

You're the man!

JS
"Push to the line!"

JasonStout
GT

Postby JasonStout » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:22 pm

j/k about the j/k!

JS
"Push to the line!"

JAlvey
GT

Postby JAlvey » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:55 am

We just got back from Reno- it was a ton of fun. Healy's results don't do justice to how well he was riding. He was in the top 3 into turn 1 every time. In the main on saturday, he had a two seconds (or so), and then was taken out in the first turn, dragging someone's bike down the second straight for a fourth overall. If he'd gotten through clean, he would have been 1st or 2nd overall. On Sunday, he moved through moto's easily and then was taken out in turn one in the 1/4. Baisley got hurt pretty bad in that same crash. He was definitely one of the fastest A pro's out there.

Diesel
AA Pro Track Sweeper

Postby Diesel » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:14 pm

Travis rode solid all weekend! I was impressed (for what that's worth) to say the least. He stuck it in there hard every lap. Saturday, he rode through a bunch of WWTH, always seeming to put himself in the best position to avoid getting tangled up. Like he'd been doing it for years! If he keeps that up, I can see a new AA coming out of Utah very soon! How long has that been?

Travis, the eye's of the Utards are upon you!

Now I just hope you'll start going to the races!

Diesel
Man made Global Warming is a HOAX!
Al Gore and his boy's gonna take you to the cleaners while they get bank!
Stop Obamacare, Cap and Tax and Alien Amnesty!

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:30 pm

I think Tim Fuzzy Hall turned AA before he retired from racing around 97-98'ish. Before him was most likely Mike Poulson. I don't think Glen Adams or Bill Brzenk quite made it or stuck around long enough.
I think T.P. will be turning AA before Travis just on the time he's put in this year alone unless Travis goes on a tear.

b.
“Sometimes if you want to see a change for the better, you have to take things into your own hands.”

jnasty
GT

Postby jnasty » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:18 pm

I don't think Glen Adams or Bill Brzenk quite made it or stuck around long enough.

But Glen Adams was in RAD!

enough said.
DO WORK SON!

Травис
NEXT

Postby Травис » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:48 am

Wow, THANK YOU all for your kind comments--on this thread and at the track. I had so much fun in Reno; I don't think that I have ever been to a more exciting race in my career! Thanks to all the Utahns in attendance for their support during the race.

What I was really impressed with was how well our Utah riders did. Fall Reno has always been a very tough race for everyone. Yet, we had several riders who did very well--even if they did not make their main--considering the competition we all were facing. The nice thing about the arena is Reno is that you get to actually watch most, if not all, of the races. Great job everyone! Be sure to wish TP and Matt Baisley a speedy recovery from the carnage this weekend. Matt went to the hospital to get checked out (he was having a hard time breathing) but fortunately it was only a separated shoulder. Todd got his front tire nearly ripped off in the first main on Saturday down the second straight, and had to put his foot down to avoid falling. He jammed his heel into the ground really hard. While he was able to finish the last two mains on Saturday, his foot did not farewell the following morning and was barely able to ride (or even walk). Get well guys.

Some of you may be wondering what is going on here. You might remember a thread that was started at the end of June last year about how I had decided to quit racing. Let me just say this, during that time I was becoming quite frustrated with BMX. It seemed like I was unable to get fast enough to not just be competitive in my class, but to be successful. Since that time last year, I decided to occupy my time with playing basketball. This actually turned out to be one of the most valuable experiences in my (short by some) lifetime. Because I learned something very valuable.

Take a look into this example. I have raced since I was just a young kid (6). As I became older, my parents and I decided that I should commit my time to BMX, passing on other sports I had participated in--soccer, basketball, karate, etc--to dedicate my life to BMX. By the time I was in my mid teens, I was fast and talented on a bicycle.

Now let me jump ahead back to the basketball for a moment. I played Jr. Jazz when I was younger (8 or 10ish?--idk) but that was the extent of my basketball career. So imagine me, last summer/winter playing basketball purely out of observation from what I saw on the television when I watched the Jazz play. My understanding of the sport was, to say the least, very limited. After fighting through some frustrations and finally sitting back to analyze the situation I had put myself into, I realized something. The people I was playing basketball with have dedicated their lives to basketball, like I did with BMX. So I thought, what would happen if they came and tried BMX? I decided that they would be riding--worse than a novice--like I was playing. And that was when it hit me, like a ton of bricks.

What I discovered was, with that new perspective I had acquired, that I became extremely grateful for the talents and abilities I am already able to do on a bike rather than my old way of thinking which was probably something like, "Yeah, I'm great on a bike, what's it to ya? I earned it." Now I feel totally different about BMX. I feel at peace with myself, so to say. Actually, the next time I rode, it was actually fun, rather than feeling jaded about it or having it be my "job", my "mantra", my "life".

Sorry if I bored you with my little anecdote or if it was confusing. It is difficult to put feelings into words. I just really wanted to get that out there and share it with the rest of you who may or may not be experiencing what I had been earlier in my life. I suppose this was something I was meant to learn...

Thanks again to everyone. A super special thanks goes to Heather and Ian for helping me out this year and letting me go with them to Reno. Mike Kelley, the gates in the backyard did wonders for last weekend. TP, Arielle, Mont Allen, and of course my parents for their constant support and love, everyday of my life.

Diesel wrote:...
Now I just hope you'll start going to the races!

Diesel

Me too, especially after how much fun Reno was! I have my eye on a few of the up and coming races, but we'll have to see how it goes with school. And what I can do after I graduate from SLCC this semester.

bnd wrote:...
I think T.P. will be turning AA before Travis just on the time he's put in this year alone unless Travis goes on a tear.

I hope TP can do it this year! How cool would that be, a 40 y/o AA!
Travis Healey - travishealey.com

JasonStout
GT

Postby JasonStout » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:59 am

Great response T!

Best of luck to you!

JS
"Push to the line!"

awsm4
GT

Postby awsm4 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:42 pm

Awesome Indeed! I couldn't be more proud to have such a talented young man represent Utah BMX and Rad Canyon. Above all that I would consider you a top tier role model for my 14 year old son and many other impressionable young teens at the track. Thank you for that (I know it is not your responsibility :D ) and good luck on your newly renewed passion!

Adam
Living at risk is jumping off a cliff and building your wings on the way down!

b2
Not a Troll!

Postby b2 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:14 pm

awsm4 wrote:Awesome Indeed! I couldn't be more proud to have such a talented young man represent Utah BMX and Rad Canyon. Above all that I would consider you a top tier role model for my 14 year old son and many other impressionable young teens at the track. Thank you for that (I know it is not your responsibility :D ) and good luck on your newly renewed passion!

Adam

I have to agree with that.

And your response above was excellently articulated, I enjoyed reading it.

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:28 pm

Thanks for chiming in Travis & keep us updated with your races.

b.

Return to “UtahBMX”