Indoor racing circa Sept. 1983.

Anything and everything about the Utah BMX scene.

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

bnd
Information Minister

Re: Indoor racing circa Sept. 1983.

Postby bnd » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:15 am

Iv'e a few more pics I'll post of the indoors. Still waiting for Justins photos. :D

Iv'e got plenty of Riverview (Twin Peaks) also. I'll start another thread when that happens.

b.
“Sometimes if you want to see a change for the better, you have to take things into your own hands.”

sspencer
Factory Bikini Cuts Hotshoe

Postby sspencer » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:16 am

Hey Bruce,

I have a couple pics from the Coliseum days too. When I get a chance I will post them up.

Sx2
Spence'- dizzle fo'- shizzle
UTAH BMX Charter Member

JAlvey
GT

Postby JAlvey » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:43 pm

Sorry Bruce, lots of sick babies, so I've been home for about 20min over the past 48h. I'll get them to you soon, and post some of the indoor ones here.

So you where in a gate next to Vic Brown and lived to tell about it?

Anyone know what Shane Turpin is up to?

1zie
Huffy

Postby 1zie » Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:21 pm

Justin,
Last I heard Shane Turpin was the National Sales Manager for Bimota Motorcycles.
http://www.bimotaamerica.com/
KMS

JasonStout
GT

Postby JasonStout » Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:53 pm

My dad has some great shots of Ian and I racing indoor and at Riverview. I'll have to get them to b. to scan.

Keep it coming!

JS
"Push to the line!"

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:44 pm

Any & all photos are welcome! All this stuff needs to be preserved for the history books.

Shane Turpin ended up being a top national motorcycle roadracer. I believe he still does stuff out at Miller. He came back to BMX for one summer around 97'. He got really good then left. The guys is a natural talent on two wheels.

Vic Brown. How about that smile? Vic was a short, stocky black guy who was a crowd favorite. He was smoking fast but alittle out of control at times. He turned A-Pro, raced a few nationals then disappeared.

More soon.

b.
“Sometimes if you want to see a change for the better, you have to take things into your own hands.”

PAPAWHEELY
Schwinn

Postby PAPAWHEELY » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:02 pm

Shane has also shown up Drag racing bikes with us at Rocky Mountain. Quite alot of talent and personality.
Matt

Punk-Biker940
GT

Postby Punk-Biker940 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:39 am

Scott Mckay wrote:I'd like to see some pics of the Riverview Jr. High track. I went to school their and remember the track looking so awesome. As I remember it now it was probably a pretty tight small track. I never raced I just rode the track a little.

I'd love to see more of this history aswell keep it coming.

I would love to see pictures of this track too. My dad always talks about it when we drive past that school. He said he's raced on it once or twice too.

bike_nerd
NEXT

Postby bike_nerd » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:54 pm

bnd wrote:Yeah, left to right is Sean Marchant, Chris Seamon & on the right of the pole, Orlando Delgado.

Chris Seamon & his little bro Clint were sponsored by Ricks Bikes out of Midvale. Seems to me that Chris had a Co-Factory deal with Kuwahara. Both were really good. I think in the summer of 84' Midvale held a bicycle road race, Chris signed up & won it. He later turned A-Pro & had some success. I can't remember the excate year (85-86-87?) Chris was killed in a motorcycle accident. Clint never returned to BMX. I remember Chris as being very, very nice & an excellent racer. I have his obit somewhere.
b.

Hey, new to this forum.

I actually raced BMX out at Riverview, Fairpark Col (and some really sandy course in Draper, Brady Bunch???) from '85-'87/'88 and remember the Seamon's. Clint was my age and good friends with a buddy of mine who got me into racing and we hung out and practiced a couple of summers here and there while my friend got bumped around from parent to parent. I can't remember much about Chris other than he was super fast. There's also some mention of Vic Brown. I think we refered to him as "Downtown" Victor Brown. Super fast guy who you could always count on to clear the triple before the finish line.
I don't know if anyone recalls the "A Team" but I was approached by one of the dads managing the team for a sponsorship right before I was to turn Expert and subsequently broke my jaw after a bad crash on the backside of the big roller before the first berm. I can't recall much of that team as they seemed to be getting started right as everything seemed to be winding down. For some reason I remember going to some retail shop they set up to talk about things, but it's all pretty fuzzy.
It seemed like we had a good 300+ motos during the summer on Saturdays and around 100 on Tuesday nights. Those were some great times.

Anyway, it's crazy to see all of this again. I'll have to do a bit of digging but I think I've got some Polaroids of the Riverview track and at least one of the few medals they gave out instead of trophies. Actually, I think it might have been a keychain medal.

Late edit:
Here's the keychain medal. I can't get a good picture of the backside as the engraving is super light. But it reads: "1st Place, Mtn View Raceway '86". I can't remember which year Riverview became Mountainview, but it may have been '86???

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:22 pm

Thanks for the insight Bikenerd, The A-Team was Bob Lunaks team with Dave & Kris Park, Bill Brzink, Dale Yohe, Joey May & a few others that escape me right now.
Anyways I would love to see any & all old photos. Iv'e got alot from Riverview I need to post up. I remember my bro ate it hard on the backside of the roller going into the first corner too. That area was fast.

b.

ckeene
NEXT

Postby ckeene » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:20 pm

Hey, these pics are great. I recently rounded up my dad's pic's from my racing days from way back when. Myself and Joe Stephenson would alway be at the track together. I've got pics from indoor, Harper/Riverview/Twin Peaks, Provo, Ogden, and even Park City (I also recall a few other tracks, Hillcrest, the Jordan River NBL track, one out by the point of the mountain for a national.) My memory is awful with who's who in the pics. Joe is a bit better at recognizing other peeps. Once I get the pics back from Joe, I will start scanning. I think I even have some beta tapes my dad made of the racing. I'll have to dig around some more. I'll try to make it out to an indoor race to see the changes. Maybe it will inspire this creeky body to race.
Clyde

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:49 pm

Hey Clyde, I remember you & Joe well. Doesn't Joe work for Fed Ex? The guy who initially started this site works with him. Any all pics would be appreciated plus I have a source that could transfer those Beta tapes over to digital tape or DVD.

Thanks again for joining the site,
Bruce.

wildhoney74
NEXT

Postby wildhoney74 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:21 pm

Hey there,
I'm unsure, as to if I've met anyone from this website in person. I did visit the BMX track in Murray with Griffin, and his son Collin... on many an occasion. I was married to Griffin Law, at the time of his passing... back in 1996. I was also 10 weeks pregnant with Griffin's now 12-year-old daughter. I named her Amity Celeste Law. I went into shock, immediately after hearing that Griffin had drowned in Causey Reservoir... just east of Ogden, Utah. After that, I felt as though someone had torn my heart out ... and stomped on it. To this day, I still miss Griffin terribly... and I believe I always will. I'm from American Fork, Utah. But I presently live in Albuquerque, New Mexico. I was wondering, if you might possibly have more old racing photos of Griffin... back in the day. Amity has been wanting to get involved with BMX racing herself. Words cannot accurately describe how great of a racer Griffin truly was. I'm thinking that Griffin's little girl may have what it takes to be #1, just like her daddy. She reminds me of him a great deal, and I'd like for her to have something to remember him by... being as she never knew Griffin in life. Please let me know, if you could be of any assistance in this matter.

Warmest Regards,
Marianne R. Law

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:12 am

Welcome to the site,
I probebly do have more pics of Griffin, I'll have to look.
When Todd Parry got back into racing I was told he was close to him so I dug out some great black & white pics I took back in the early 80's of him & gave them to Todd. He's a member here so you can PM him & ask for more info. Check back here & I'll see what I can find over the next few days.

b.

wildhoney74
NEXT

Postby wildhoney74 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:52 pm

Right on! Thanks for responding to my post. My apologies, if I came off sounding like something of a drama queen. It's just that I spent a long time yesterday, looking all over the web for photos of Griffin... that I could possibly show to our daughter. It's also that time of year again, when I'm reminded of how Griffin died... and of how much we all miss him. Thanks again!

Return to “UtahBMX”