BMX CAMP AT VELOCITY SPORTS PERFORMANCE

Anything and everything about the Utah BMX scene.

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

Todd S.
Intense

BMX CAMP AT VELOCITY SPORTS PERFORMANCE

Postby Todd S. » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:12 am

Velocity has asked me to help them put together a camp for BMX riders only. I have been taking Chantz there for about six months and it has helped tremendously. I highly recommend attending to see what it is all about. Come prepared to get a butt kicking work out.

Here is the flyer for more information:

Velocity Sports BMX Camp Flyer

Todd

TP
Stud Vet Pro

Re: BMX CAMP AT VELOCITY SPORTS PERFORMANCE

Postby TP » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:34 am

WOW ! very interesting !

My sons started going there in 2007. It helped them a lot this year in their football goals!

Why is this interesting to me? I have had several conversations with the trainers about this very thing (A BMX specific clinic). I even sent them an email about six weeks ago on this subject. to which I got no response.

I guess they know enough about BMX to go ahead and train racers on their own, NICE !

What people should understand...... if you are doing no training at all..... ANYTHING, as in any training will make you improve.

I would encourage anyone who wants to get in better shape to train and work out ! When it comes to BMX specific training... You might want to talk with actual BMX pros who have actually racked up in a gate. It also doesn't hurt if they have won national and world titles also ! In other words..... there is more to winning races than the speed and power in your legs ! BMX isn't track .

Good Luck.... I will see you at Velocity as my sons look to improve their speed for FOOTBALL.

You all have a great day ! TP

awsm4
GT

Postby awsm4 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:45 am

So TP, is that an offer? Do you have the facilities? Let me know.
I will also be interested in attending something put together by velocity, so Todd I look forward to the Flyer.

The stuff I am doing at home with Skylar can only go so far and I am open to options...

See you in Reno.

Adam
440-1539
Living at risk is jumping off a cliff and building your wings on the way down!

Todd S.
Intense

Postby Todd S. » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:56 am

This isn't supposed to take place of training or clinics to better yourself on your bike, but rather to get yourself in better physical condition. I kept the fact that we were training there to ourselves for six months to see how much difference it would make. Any one who has noticed Chantz's improvement can see the results. The results speak for themselves. This might not work for everyone but it has made a huge difference in Chantz.

TP
Stud Vet Pro

Postby TP » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:40 pm

Adam,

Winter is a tuff time to train for sure, But it can be done. I won both days in Reno in 2007 and I did all my training indoors. It can be done !

As far as getting in better all around shape? Velocity would for sure help with that. I in no way shape or form have anything bad to say about Velocity ! they are very professional and know how to build Athletes !

Keep in mind. Most people who go there try and improve footspeed and agility. Which transfers over to their specific sport. IE...Football, Lacrosse, Basketball, Baseball , Vollyball etc. Last time I checked we don't run,jump or cut in bmx, that doesn't mean cross training isn't a good thing .

I would love to see Velocity incorporate some BMX specific things for the bmx kids !

awsm4
GT

Postby awsm4 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:04 pm

TP -

You have mail.

Adam
Living at risk is jumping off a cliff and building your wings on the way down!

Curtis Newkirk
Photog Extraordinaire

Postby Curtis Newkirk » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:41 pm

What is the youngest age of attendance? I will be happy to send at least Bennett if they will take a ten year old. Anna if they will let her. Charlie is a bit young for this type of training.

To speak to what Todd (both of them) are talking about, I can tell you that Bennett has been training since he was seven. He works an Arielle Martin/USOC comined with a Mike Kelly type program. The kid has done what he has through training and sheer willpower. Many of Utah's good riders can be great riders with minimal daily effort (1 hour or less if you are focused).

In fact, in the avatar photo to the right>>> Bennett was seven in that shot and had been training for a couple of months. Shortly after that he earned his first NAG plate, and has held one every year since and now has a collection of three. Making top ten in the country three years in a row is great bragging rights, but it was the work between the races that helped make sure it happened. We owe that to Arielle and Mike and the training they showed him how to do. This is what Velocity does as well, and I know plenty of top BMX'ers who have been through their programs.

If no one can answer my age question, I will call Velocity when we get back from Reno and find out.

Cheers!

TP
Stud Vet Pro

Postby TP » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:12 pm

I spoke with Velocity on the phone yesterday and today.

They are very interested in doing a BMX specific workout along with some gate and first 8 to 10 pedals sprinting at their facility.

There is a chance this could be a weekly thing and even an age specific thing as well. depending on how much support it gets.

I would encourage anyone wanting to improve to come, learn and train hard. it will be money well spent.

I will meet with them tomorrow to go over some training ideas and to figure out what we can do to be able to use our bikes in a safe and appropriate way inside.

It will most likely be a stumpy gate and first 30 feet type training. there isn't room to go much farther or faster than that. We will see?

Watch for more info and a flyer soon.

Have a great day: TP

Todd S.
Intense

Postby Todd S. » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:37 pm

Just got back from Reno, lots of fun as always. TP, glad to see you get involved with this program. I think our BMX community can benefit greatly from your experience and the training that Velocity provides. Looking forward to Saturday to see what kind of turn out we get.

Todd

J Gallo
Web Guy

Postby J Gallo » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:25 pm

Here is a link to the updated flyer:

Velocity BMX Camp Flyer

J
Gallo
"The ability to walk fully upright is overrated. Along with tying your own shoes."

BLong
GT

Postby BLong » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:39 pm

Nate sent me an e-mail ***Age range is 8-18 yrs of age***

Call him and give him the riders name, DOB, your Visa/MC, and e-mail (for waiver) to get registered.

I signed Stitch up.

-Brian
Last edited by BLong on Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
----------------------------
truebmx.com

Ashley Topham
Schwinn

Postby Ashley Topham » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:22 pm

I Have been going to velocity since i was in 10th grade and i love it there. The trainers are great and i tink that it helps you improve alot. Plus they are good at what they do. And i think it would be awesome to have a training camp for riders.
BMX CH!K

Return to “UtahBMX”