Rad Canyon Indoor #3 Build Assistance

Anything and everything about the Utah BMX scene.

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

sspencer
Factory Bikini Cuts Hotshoe

Rad Canyon Indoor #3 Build Assistance

Postby sspencer » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:40 pm

Hello fellow Utah BMXers,

Here I am again, knocking on your computer screen looking for a little help. A key component to our tremendous weekends is building a safe and quality track for all to enjoy. We usually only have around 8 to 9 hours to get the SL County arena tracks built so any set of hard working hands would be appreciated. Most of the handwork and prep will be done after 2:00pm so if you can make it out around of soon after that time it would be appreciated by the build crew as well as the racers who are ready to hit the track for practice asap on Friday night. .

Please remember that our races would not happen with out the valued help of all of our volunteers here in Utah.

Thanks and I look forward to seeing everyone out to the track this weekend!
Steve
Spence'- dizzle fo'- shizzle
UTAH BMX Charter Member

sparkoli2
Schwinn

Re: Rad Canyon Indoor #3 Build Assistance

Postby sparkoli2 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:13 am

steve
i would like to request a three sixty loop out of first turn into a banzi over the shark tank like fonzie followed by a 60' step up step down step up, into a berm followed by a jello pit full of hotties for a finish. this to much to ask. :D

sspencer

Postby sspencer » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:46 am

into a banzi over the shark tank

How about some ill tempered sea bass (ala Austin Powers) ;oP

Steve

UTAH BMX Charter Member

sparkoli2
Schwinn

Postby sparkoli2 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:36 pm

that will work as long as their at least angry or a little upset. :D

billyschuler
GT

Postby billyschuler » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:44 pm

is it too much to ask to have frikin sharks with frikin laser beams on their heads, everyone deserves a good warm meal!!!
Freedom Energy/ODEN/Dirt Militia Team Manager

sparkoli2
Schwinn

Postby sparkoli2 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:11 pm

The Japanese are willing to release flipper after his rampage he caused over the mammal slaughter in Japan if he's willing to do community service instead of sharks.

Diesel
AA Pro Track Sweeper

Postby Diesel » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:02 pm

How about just something different! Maybe put the gate on the other side and run it backwards. Or at the least, don't put the jump so close to the first turn. I'm sure there are at least fifty reasons why you can't do it.

Sick to death of the same ole thing!

Diesel
Man made Global Warming is a HOAX!
Al Gore and his boy's gonna take you to the cleaners while they get bank!
Stop Obamacare, Cap and Tax and Alien Amnesty!

sspencer

Postby sspencer » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:05 pm

How about just something different! Maybe put the gate on the other side and run it backwards. Or at the least, don't put the jump so close to the first turn. I'm sure there are at least fifty reasons why you can't do it.

Sick to death of the same ole thing!

Diesel

Dan,

By moving the gate to the South side of the arena we have to deal with the corral chutes used for the livestock events. We would have to place the gate further up to allow for proper room for placement and ample staging. The moved up gate position would create a very short first straight and increasing the already unfair disadvantage to the outside gates. This would also drastically shorten an already short track. Then, to have these chutes/gates removed we have to pay a substantial fee and in most cases the County does not wish to remove them so they can be used late Thursday and sometimes late Sunday after we tear down. Once in a while we get the opportunity to have all of the panels and chutes removed to have some additional room. When that time does come we can look at switching the gate position.

The jumps are often different styles, sizes and vary in position so they are not always the same. The U-in-a-U footprint with a left hand sweeper is what makes it feel so similar everytime. And yes, the jump into the first turn has been a bit tight at times but not always.

If time and resources allow, I have a few ideas I hope to implement this weekend but those are the critical factors in completing a race ready track by 6:00pm Friday.

One thing I have learned during my time track building over the last 15 years is that I will never please everyone and will always have to deal with those who complain more than they will ever appreciate what they have. I dont profess to know everything when it comes to building a track and always welcome friendly suggestions and ideas as I do admit that I get caught thinking inside the box at times so please keep the ideas coming. As always, my ultimate goal is to always build a fun and challenging track for all ages and abilities in hopes that they will continue to come out and support our evergrowing local program.

Dan, I feel I can say this to you as a friend so until you have built over a hundred tracks and learned from those experiences or even take the time to come out and hustle out a track in 8 hours you will continue to not understand.

Looking forward to seeing you this weekend,
Steve

UTAH BMX Charter Member

travishealeydotcom
Huffy

Postby travishealeydotcom » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:42 pm

Steve,

I had a cool idea the other day for a new type of jump... inside-out jumps. :lol:

So like a double would be like a table with a banzai before and after... a step up... a banzai to step table thingy? Rollers would be like dips... idk, I think too much school makes you go crazy!

greg
2004 36-40 Cruiser State Champ

Postby greg » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:03 am

step away from the glue Travis. :lol:
Greg "how long does it take you to crash" prawitt

Todd S.
Intense

Postby Todd S. » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:17 am

Steve,

I would like to thank you for all the time you spend preparing and building a track for us each and every time we have an indoor race. I think you and your crew of dedicated volunteers pull off a miracle every weekend we race. Your track layout allows for a very smooth flow to the track that most people don't appreciate until they race on a track that was done by someone without the expertise you have. I'm not coming at Dan by any means, so don't take offense Dan. With that said, I have a question ( idea? ). After watching so many people go down in the sweeper at The Legacy Center ( Chantz numerous times ), is it possible to build a little more bank thru the sweeper so the riders aren't sliding out as much? Do we have enough dirt available to do this? Will it take to much time? Is there a reason this just would not work? Again, thanks to each and every volunteer that gives their time to allow us to show up and enjoy watching some of the best racing around.

Todd

crash
GT

Postby crash » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:53 pm

One of the things that were overlooked was tire selection, although Max crashed in the same spot (the little off camber spot coming out of the end of the sweeper:(. I think the new Maxxis DTH tires did not hold too good on the type of dirt. The track held together and by the last sunday Mont had a good idea of what the right combination of water and sweeping worked.
The DTH is an incredible tire but we put a holy roller on the front with much better results. We left the DTH on the back and it seemed like a better combo.
I think we will stay with that for South Jordan as well it will work better with the "marbles" on that track.
So pick up a Holy Roller from Heather and Ian and give it a try.

sparkoli2
Schwinn

Postby sparkoli2 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:53 pm

steve
sorry for the attacks. when i made the post it was to show the irrational thought that goes into the attacks on your ability as a track builder.

ladies and gentleman a turn is an obstacle. be flat or banked. when i was building tracks for national mtb series they specificly requested flat turns somewhere in the course. why you ask well a flat turn takes the power out of the situation and narrows the playing field.

There is a saying in racing you need to be slow to be fast. maybe all that doubt this will see what im talking about if you go take heathers clinic. then she can show all of you that dont like the turn how to truely ride it.

the sad part of all of this is you got a track to ride built by the guy who builds for the organization you all are members of that dedicates his time for the pleasure of others. hes not getting squat for doing it except the satisfaction of saying i made it. so get off his back or get out there and do it yourself. rent a building get the organization to back you and build your track.

those of you who complain about the turn need to ask yourself this. if i had LEARNED to ride the obstacle then maybe it would not bother me. quit being lazy and realize the underlying factors before you open your mouth. nothing personal dan and not dirrected at you just the vast so called majority. :D

comp threes or fours . the intense tires are not made for a surface that the facility offers. maxis offers the holly roller just do not get the 60 compund. 40 will do just fine.

so go slow to be fast otherwise your just blowing smoke out your arse
oh trav can you send me some glue. i like the way it made you think and yes school does that to you.

tntosborn
Huffy

Postby tntosborn » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:51 pm

Steve,
I think your tracks are awesome. I can't speak on your Northern Fall track as I've never been there, but the South Jordan Track the past two years has been great. That sweeper each time I come down I try to get a little braver each time and its held every time. Thats part of the adrenaline rush is diving into that 1st turn and just going for it.
Anyway your tracks are well built and very smooth, built by a very talented crew. I hope to make it down there at least two times this winter from Boise and I know we got some more families that are jumping on the Utah Winter Train this year and we're all looking forward to it.
You got a great program going on, keep it up.
Todd

greg
2004 36-40 Cruiser State Champ

Postby greg » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:28 am

shoot, if it were me building a track (I know...ha ha....me building a track...funny one), I'd put a flat hair-pin turn that you actually had to use brakes for. I know most of you racers dont know what a brake is, but it is actuated by that little hanlde on your bars next to your hands. Just once in awhile to throw some people off. It'd be fun to watch the fast kids go shooting across the track because they forgot to brake before the turn. :twisted:

Personally, I think flow is over rated. I think it'd be fun to have a track on occassion that wasn't just about flat out speed. Put some strategy, power, skill, and yes, some luck too, into the mix.

I do think that the tracks that have been built over the years are great. There is always something that has pissed me off about them, not that it was built wrong, but that I cant get my slow butt over/around them smoothly. I've always realized that it is MY problem with what is happening out there on the track......not the tracks fault.....and definately not the track builders fault. We are all on the same track, hitting the same obstacles, and have the same chance of washing out, bonking a jump, or whatever.

That's my two cents. Great job Steve and boys.......keep pissing me off, making me push my safety zone. I wouldn't have it any other way!
Greg "how long does it take you to crash" prawitt

Return to “UtahBMX”