RC indoors, cheers & jeers.

Anything and everything about the Utah BMX scene.

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

bnd
Information Minister

RC indoors, cheers & jeers.

Postby bnd » Sun Jan 02, 2005 5:14 pm

- After being off the bike for so long I was surprised that I was able to get a half decent gate at the end of practice on Saturday. The rest of the track was another thing though & I still didn't have it together after Sunday practice. Iv'e just got to spend more time on the bike before the next race.
- I loved the track but one thing I don't care for is the HUGE first speed jump. I don't mind them but that thing is soo damn big that it really dictates (who & who cannot yak the front end up sky-high) the outcome of the race from the get go. Tone it down some next time pleeez!
- The 3rd straight was put together awesome. It seemed to flow great & I saw a bunch of different lines going through it.
- The speed trap was fun as I had a best time of 1.72. What was your best time?

- This goes out to some of the 28+ guys that are kicking ass in 20"intermediate.......how about turning up sooner than later? I looked at the moto sheets & to tell you the truth I don't want any part of racing 19-27x but that's where us older guys have to race because of the turnout in 28+. I'm going to think about hanging up the 20" if things don't change soon. Elliot.....Oblad....Eglinetine.....MOVE UP!! You are all fast enough to be totally competitive in the expert class, C'mon I moved up early & it was worth it. Please think about it fellas. :) What if all 3 of you guys get together & agree to move up the same weekend? Next race? Next month?

- It was great seeing Jonas Harmon Saturday w/ his cute girlfriend, if you read this Jonas, flow B.J. our e-mail - bndrace@comcast.net.
- Mike Kelly making alot of guys half his age look bad by jumping the pro jump. That was awesome.
- I saw a little kid who looked no more than 4 or 5 novice wearing little sneakers w/ clips screwed to them :roll: . Clips have no place on a kid under 10 & and less than an experianced intermediate.
- Much props to the Rock Springs people who came down to support the scene, hopefully more of them will make it down & we can do the same with them.
- The vending rule. That's just straight up lame that I can't bring a BMX frame or whatever & sell it without being fined.
- The 28+ novice & intermediate classes are still the funnest to watch.
- It was nice seeing the Mannini's back at the track. They helped with the old Logan track in the late 90's & it was just great seeing them again.
- Who is the new announcer? He did a great job.

As always it was nice seeing everybody & yes the Dirt Diva is going to start racing. Thanks to Ian & Heather, Gallo & Jackie.

b.

JasonStout
GT

Postby JasonStout » Sun Jan 02, 2005 8:00 pm

The track was the best I've ever seen it. The 3rd straight provided a lot of variation for all levels of riders.

It was great to see all of you again! let's do it again in a couple of weeks!

JS

J Gallo
Web Guy

Postby J Gallo » Sun Jan 02, 2005 9:10 pm

I thought it was the best track RAD Indoor has had yet. It had something for everyone. It flowed well and had ALOT of variation to keep it interesting. What can I say about that 3rd straight... AWESOME!!!

Thanks to all the volunteers who continue to dedicate themselves to giving us a place to ride!!!

As far as the weekend went, I was really impressed with the turnout. Friday night was outstanding! Probably about twice as many people as I had expected, and it looked like everyone had a great time.

Saturday ended up with 40 motos. Pretty good for just a single point weekend, with only Sat and Sun racing.

The new Staats jerseys looked SWEEET! Melton, Fazzio, Winebrenner, Kelley, Allred and also Dani and Nick Donner looked pretty slick in the new jerseys.

All around it was just great to be back on the track. And not completely from a racing perspective. I really enjoyed just watching the action and taking a ton of pictures. It's hard to go a month and a half without having some real "updates" to the website. I know everyone likes to check out the pictures so it's nice to get some new ones up!
Gallo
"The ability to walk fully upright is overrated. Along with tying your own shoes."

TP
Stud Vet Pro

Postby TP » Mon Jan 03, 2005 1:00 am

1.53 :lol:

Curtis Newkirk
Photog Extraordinaire

Re: RC indoors, cheers & jeers.

Postby Curtis Newkirk » Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:25 pm

I had a great time and dittos on the track. I thought it was better than the Nov track by far. I am really starting to have fun as a retread coming from the 70's & 80's. I don't look at it as getting whipped by Kelly and Spence - I am just riding behind them and learning the ropes again :lol:

About that speed trap - was that the metal plate a few feet past the gate? If so, how were you guys getting your times? I never heard it announced, but the audio was a little hard to hear where we sat.

bnd wrote:-- I saw a little kid who looked no more than 4 or 5 novice wearing little sneakers w/ clips screwed to them :roll: . Clips have no place on a kid under 10 & and less than an experianced intermediate.

LOL - was it this kid in Blue?

http://www.utahbmx.com/bmxpics/nfpictur ... g_3957.jpg

What a great weekend!
~Curtis

mackdaddy
Resident Sushi Expert

Postby mackdaddy » Mon Jan 03, 2005 1:30 pm

Great to see everyone!
Curtis we were getting our times in practice, going out of lane 8!
It was for the riders and just for fun!!!
Best time I had 1.56!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :D
Jason Melton
Overland Group
jmelton@overlandcorp.com
http://www.jasonsellsslc.com
(801)860-9357

Curtis Newkirk
Photog Extraordinaire

Postby Curtis Newkirk » Mon Jan 03, 2005 1:53 pm

Got it. So that was the little LED display there on the right.
Darn. I should have spent more time in lane 8!
~Curtis

JasonStout
GT

Postby JasonStout » Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:50 pm

1.52!

keep working TP!

Just Kidding!

1.8?

JS

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Mon Jan 03, 2005 5:37 pm

Now that I look at your guys times, I think my best was more like 1.62, I know I'm old & slow but not THAT slow!. :oops:

Hey Todd, we were watching you do some gates & commenting on what it must be like being your sprockets & chain. :shock:

Gallo, you won again on Sunday? Congrats.

b.

J Gallo
Web Guy

Postby J Gallo » Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:29 pm

No, I got 2nd on Sunday. Not a bad weekend, a 1st and a 2nd :)
Gallo
"The ability to walk fully upright is overrated. Along with tying your own shoes."

TP
Stud Vet Pro

Postby TP » Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:24 pm

Nice try Stout!!

b, it was good to see you and d out riding! yeah, I go thru a few chains!

I was really amazed at how close my times were when I hit it with my back tire. (the sensor was right where my pedaling stoke was and my front tire would go over it half the time!)

I got 1.55,1.53,1.53,1.54,1.54 with my front tire. (pretty darn consistant!)

The three times my front tire went over it and I hit it with my back tire I got 1.63,1.61 and 1.64. so any where from one tenth .1 to six one hundreths .06.

what does this mean? heck it's not reliable but just kind of interesting. How long is it from my front wheel to my back? three to four feet? so at the speed I was going(which isn't super fast as the sensor was about 5 cranks out of the gate) one tenth is three to four feet? unreal!

who nows maybe my thinking is off? it just seems like a faction of time is worth a whole lot in the inches,feet catigory? just a thought.

SOOOO, who said a good gate isn't that important? Anyway, the track was fun and the timer was kinda fun too! I was a little under the weather but other than that I had fun!

mackdaddy
Resident Sushi Expert

Postby mackdaddy » Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:37 pm

I agree with TP
the timer was fun!!! Something different to do in practice!!!!
Kinda fun to have a goal to beat each time we are in the gate for practice!!
Jason Melton
Overland Group
jmelton@overlandcorp.com
http://www.jasonsellsslc.com
(801)860-9357

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:27 pm

If Mike is willing to set it up again, I'd like to see it. We need a full time time keeper though, I felt bad jogging Tracys memory every time I came around. What was the distance from the gate to the pad? I had a problem keeping my front tire down too at that distance, maybe moving it another 10ft'?

b.

TP
Stud Vet Pro

Postby TP » Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:50 am

I agree with b, move it out just a tad more and I'm sure we could get someone to write down the times. The times would be differant every race anyway just because the size of the starting hill,how hard the dirt was etc. would never be exact two races in a row.

I don't know how long the cords are but if the time display cord is long enough you could put it past the sensor and then you could see your own time as you went by?

I'm off work until after Reno so I don't know if I'll be on here before I go. so good luck to all who go and we'll see the rest of you in a couple weeks! train hard, TP

FLYNHIGH
Flynhighbmx Webmaster

Postby FLYNHIGH » Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:46 pm

I had tons fun this weekend. The track was probably the best it's been, and everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves. There was some huge classes too. (If I remember right) 5 year olds, 10x, and 28+N had full gates!

I thought the pro-section was aweome! I am hoping to see more of those in the future indoors (and outdoors too!!! :lol: )!!!

Here's a pic my brother took when he snuck my camera...
Mike Kelley jumping the pro-section!!!
(His first attempt)

I think my fastest time on the timer was somewhere in the low 1.6's (1.62ish, and that was with my rear tire!). Just like TP, I had problems with actually hitting the timer... put it like a foot further and it should be good!

It definiately was a great warm-up for Reno next weekend!

~Travis~

Return to “UtahBMX”