PIC of the day! *revamped*

Anything and everything about the Utah BMX scene.

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

greg
2004 36-40 Cruiser State Champ

Postby greg » Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:54 am

guess who this cat is????? What style! What grace!

I mean....what style? what grace? lol

Greg "how long does it take you to crash" prawitt

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:13 pm

Greg,

Is that the west side it looks like the popular Grove Park. Are you related to Stan

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:09 pm

Hey Greg, I used to dress just like that! Thanks for sharing & if ANYBODY has any pics they would like to share, feel free to post.

This pic isn't excatly OS but it's one of my favs.
This is from the 02' RCF in Mesquite. I had to race 28X because 36+ wasn't a class yet. Alot of locals in this one. L-R is....Raymonde, Dude from Vegas, Steve Spencer, Lonny Lierly, Jason Halverson & myself. All of us getting a great gate. If you look closely in the middle is Jason Melton & to the right is Mark "Armstrong" Miller.

b.

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:27 pm

This is from my personal collection.
This is from the ABA great Salt Lake national in 1984. This is a pro cruiser moto, L-R is Toby henderson (Pro Bike parts) Factory SE, Stu Thompson (ABA Hall of Fame & greatest BMX'r ever)Factory Huffy, David Lee,Peddle Power, Rod Beckering,Factory SE, Tinker Juarez (He went on to be a top Mt. bike racer in NORBA & still is.)Factory Bandito, & Clint Miller, Factory Kuwahara.
This was the first jump on the first straight. This was by & far the worst track I have ever raced on. The track was 2 inches of sand, all the way around. It was held at the Utah State fairgrounds, I believe the arena is still there. Back in the day they had a Gold Cup (Redline Cup now) qualifier on Saturday & the national on Sunday. Friday night was usually a double points pre-race. If you look closely you can see a guy on a bike in the middle with an afro w/ a 69 on his number plate, that is ABA Hall of Famer Darrell Young from JMC fame.
The track had 4 straights & had 1 jump on each straight. After the national came & went the local track op's ( The Youngs) kept the track open through the 85' season, calling it "Endurro BMX". They ended up packing it down enough to be ridable. In early spring 85' my brother was leading a moto & crashed over a jump, breaking his collarbone, ending his BMX career. He raced one more time after that.

b.

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:37 pm

This is the oldest pic I have in my collection. 1968. Yes, I can poke fun at myself. My younger bro wondering "What the HELL!" :shock:

b.

greg

Postby greg » Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:44 am

lol great pic bruce.

yes, that is Sorensen Park on the west side. Stan is my older brother. My house is actually visible in the picture, right above my rear wheel.

So, guest, who would you be?

Postby Guest » Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:22 pm

Look how nice that grass is. I worked at that park picking up trash in the summer. My friend lived on the corner (Felice's). I showed my kid your picture in the year book and he said you still look the same. He didn't know you could grow a mustache in the 9th grade.

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:09 pm

Paulie Lange EATING it!

b.

tread
Old School Bike Expert

Postby tread » Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:27 pm

Here I am in 1982 SandySalt Lake skatepark 7200 south 30th east?Image

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:30 pm

Killer pic Mike. Greg, is that a Thruster your riding?

Charlie Williams, factory Hutch & Richie Anderson, Factory Patterson. 1983 World Cup in Nashville. The track is still there to this day.

b.

greg

Postby greg » Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:56 am

b, yes that is a Thruster...Timmy Judge replica to be exact. As is the case most of the time, I wish i still had that bike. I really liked the looks of it.

I showed my kid your picture in the year book and he said you still look the same. He didn't know you could grow a mustache in the 9th grade.

Well, tell him it can be done in the 8th grade. I was one of only two that had a mustache in jr. high. 8)

So, I'm still wondering who you are Mr. Guest.

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:03 pm

Scott Clark, Saddleback race track in Cali, 1978. Clark was the NBA #1 pro in 1979. The NBA was actually the oldest of all the bike sanctions until the early 80's when the (ABA/nbl (can't remember???) bought them. This was another of the old school down hill tracks. Look how bumpy this track was, could you imagine racing on something like this today?

b.

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:11 pm

This is truly one of my most prized pictures in my collection, courtesy of Mark "Armstrong" Miller.

b.

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:44 am

This is an old & famous pic from BMX Plus! 1981. Classic tabletop.

b.

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:20 pm

Here's a great pic of the 1981 World Championships. The bottom pic is Utahs very own Mike Poulson who also carried the #1 plate in the state too.
Indoor racing on concrete was very popular in the late 70's & early 80's. I was fortunate enough to experiance this type of racing & it really was alot of fun. You ran street tires & really easy gears. When I was racing in the SL fairgrounds I was running a 39-16!

b.

Return to “UtahBMX”