The U.K. bans clips for the 15-under crowd.

Anything and everything about the Utah BMX scene.

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

bnd
Information Minister

The U.K. bans clips for the 15-under crowd.

Postby bnd » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:48 pm

This story hit most of the big websites today & it is big news. Would it ever happen here? Don't know, but I would not be against some sort of ban for novices to use them. Seeing a 6 yr. old novice who can't balance by himself clipped in or a 10 yr. old riding so far over his bars that he's a OTB's waiting to happen makes me think kids need to learn basic skills before developing bad habits clips tend to lead to.

b.

Important news coming out of the UK today, as British Cycling has announced it has banned clipless pedals for riders 15 and under at Regional and National races in 2011. The story first appeared on a UK website, bmxtalk.com, but quickly spread to Vintage, where the US crowd amped up quick on this most controversial of issues.

The “clips vs. flats” debate has raged hot and strong over the years, pitting brother against brother, and causing fractures in otherwise friendly communities.

BMXNEWS found the following email on a UK member’s Facebook page. The email, written by Roger Wilbraham of British Cycling, goes into deep detail on why such a rule change makes sense for the riders of the UK.

Proposal: A rule change to ban clips for under 16’s at all regional races, commencing in the 2011 Season

Background: The Midland BMX Committee believes that:

1. In our region far too many inexperienced riders are opting to ride in clips, for a variety of reasons ranging from peer-pressure, the increase in speed, fashion and emulating their heroes.

2. Too many riders leave clip pedals on their bikes all the time. In the long-term, we believe that this is bad for their skills development. We believe it can lead to bad pedaling technique. It can also hold riders back from pushing their limits, because they are wary of crashing when clipped in.

3. The crashing argument. We believe inexperienced riders on clips are more likely to crash badly, partly due to their lack of skill combined with the increase in speed that is possible from using clips, and partly because crashing in clips can be worse than when on flats. When crashing on flats it is easier to bail.

4. We have a duty of care to protect less experienced riders from any pressure to ride in clip pedals. There is no doubt that this pressure currently exists as riders look for anything that will give them an advantage.

We are not proposing an outright ban on clip pedals for the under 16’s. This is a proposal to ban clip pedals at regional races, where intermediate riders learn their trade. These riders also tend to have their primary goals at regional races. Restricting these pedals from Regionals will protect intermediate riders from the pressure to ride in clip pedals. Advanced riders, who will still on the whole race in clip pedals at Nationals will continue to train on clip pedals or flat pedals however they see fit. These riders use Regionals as training races anyway and racing on flats at Regionals would not do them any harm, indeed it would arguably be a positive move for them too.

The primary objectives of this proposal are to protect our new riders from injury and to ensure they develop their skills as quickly and as safely as possible. Over time, this will result in a positive outcome for the sport as a whole.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards

Roger Wilbraham
Event Development Officer – British Cycling

NEWS reached out to Mr. Wilbraham for further comment on this issue, and will bring his comments to you in an update if/when we receive them. We are particularly interested in hearing his take on how he feels this move will affect UK riders in international competition such as the UCI worlds.

We also reached out to ABA CEO, BA Anderson and NBL Director of Competition, John Pingol for their take on this news. We will bring you their comments as they come in, so check back here throughout the day.

The natural next question is, of course, “would such a rule make sense for BMX Racing in the USA?”

We also reached out to ABA CEO, BA Anderson and NBL Director of Competition, John Pingol for their comments, both on the UK aspect of the story, and on whether they could see a similar rule taking shape in the US. We will bring you their comments as they come in, so check back here throughout the day.

The discussion is in full effect over on Vintage. Come join the fun.

Incidentally, the terminology surrounding clips, clipless pedals, etc., can be a bit of a brain teaser. Check this:

“Clipless Pedals” are generically called “clips”…it’s kind of an inflammable-means-flammable thing, where clipless pedals are actually clips…the “clipless” part is a throwback to when pedals had physical toe-clip straps to hold your feet in. Later, the conventional “clipless pedal” emerged, with a cleat on the riders’ shoe and a spring-catch on the pedal. Unfortunately, no better terminology emerged, other than being “clipped in” using your “clipless” pedals. I guess they didn’t want to call them “strapless” pedals, no matter what the consequences
“Sometimes if you want to see a change for the better, you have to take things into your own hands.”

JAlvey
GT

Re: The U.K. bans clips for the 15-under crowd.

Postby JAlvey » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:31 pm

I think we should also ban automatic transmissions for drivers under 25, and computers for students under 13- they'll understand their math better if they go old school and whip out those slide rules.

A mandate seems like a pretty silly, but certainly european solution to a non-problem. Seems that everyone over here knows that if you have a young kid and want them to go fast, you have them train on flats and in clips (but mostly on flats), but clip them in for the races. I agree that the novices need to learn to ride before clipping in, but that should be their decision, not some sort of mandate.

I hope all of Europe changes though, so when my kids go to worlds someday, none of their comp can get clipped in in the gate.

Better duck and cover now, I'm sure Dan's climbing back up that tower on this one.....

dylmunchy
Schwinn

Postby dylmunchy » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:44 am

i love it even out the playing field almost like marxism in bmx but better :P
They say there's more to life than a BMX bike....

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:52 am

From what I understand is that this only is aimed at local races, not bigger nationals. I guess at their locals they don't break it down into skill levels so all riders under 15 have to ride flats. This story should blow up over the next week so i'll keep the news coming. I guess the French started this & the Euro Countries think it's a great idea.
I still like the idea of novices having to ride flats & learn basic skills but that's the OS in me talking. If the ABA made that rule I wouldn't have a problem with it.

b.
“Sometimes if you want to see a change for the better, you have to take things into your own hands.”

onephastkiss
GT

Postby onephastkiss » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:23 pm

DOC...I ALREADY HAVE MY BULLET-PROOF VEST ON AND ABACUS IN HAND, AND AN ORDER IN FOR SOME CHECKERED VANS SLIP-ONS AND HUTCH BEAR-TRAPS!!!

JAlvey
GT

Postby JAlvey » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:57 pm

bnd wrote: I guess the French started this

...which means they'll surrender any minute now

crash
GT

Postby crash » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:59 pm

I also read that the over 36 and over crowd will need to do a one footed start due to the tendancy to fall over in the gate and possibly break a hip> Makes sense to me. I for one am for it it makes for better skills. :roll: Crap where is my sarc mark?

Honestly another rule to protect us from ourselves and make everyone feel fuzzy. Maybe we should have age limits too? your done at 40?Or if you dont have enough hours in on practice you cant race? Or how about weight limits?

I can see novice riders not being on clips and in my personal opinion for my son we chose to wait until he was expert. But that was my choice as a parent.

crash
GT

Postby crash » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:02 pm

Oh and B2 that whole falling in the gate thing? Really it wasnt a jab at you, honest. :P

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:40 pm

More news.......

To add to this thread from a Canadian perspective.
Province of Quebec governing cycling body, Banned clips for riders under 14 yrs of age.
Province of Alberta governing cycling body, has voted and approved but not ratified Banned use of clips under 10 Province of BC, governing cycling body has suggested but not voted on a ban of the use of clips for under 12 yrs of age.

The UCI rule book under equipment has a rule in place currently stating that a rider must be able to demonstrate to a commisaire official the ability to clip in and clip out on thier own to be able to use this type of pedal.

New Zealand cycling has banned clips for under 12 Australia cycling has also made the same ban.

The arguements presented were based on a rider developing key bike riding skills, and abilities with out being attached to the bike,

things like being able to bunny hop, pedal manual and spin quickly.

b.

ogr13
COG

Postby ogr13 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:24 pm

Age limits? Weight limits? Skill requirements? :shock:
Gonna have to get a good lawyer, I'll sue for discrimination!
BMX unfair to overweight, underskilled COGs!
What's next, mandatory random gates?

Can't trust Canada, they're not even a real country.
They don't have their own language or their own food food (no, bacon doesn't count)!
Dave Cote
Crazy Old Guy

mahaffeybilly
Huffy

Postby mahaffeybilly » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:35 pm

I have been riding on flats all this year and have been loving it.I am totaly against the little kid that cant even balance good being clipped in before he or she even learns how to ride.I tell all the locals around here to ride on flats and clip in come race time so they can see how much clips actually help.

Return to “UtahBMX”