Newbie Questions

Anything and everything about the Utah BMX scene.

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

ktmracer
NEXT

Newbie Questions

Postby ktmracer » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:40 pm

I've been in the Mountain Bike scene for a few years now and my kid has hit the age that he is riding his bike around quite a bit now. After looking at Rad Canyon and the BMX scene, I've decided it would probably be a good bonding experience for us both if we were to get into BMXing.

My questions are: What bike should I get him? What bike should I get myself? When/where can we practice? What do we need for safety gear? Tools? Spare parts? etc.

I'm trying to pick him up a redline pitboss to teach him hand brakes and that should hold him over until summer. But what after that? I've also been looking at some assorted redline/Haro/GT Junior bikes? Would these be too big for him? He's 5 yo and 46" tall. I'm 25 yo 220 lbs and 6' tall. We'd prefer to keep the budget for both bikes at under $400 for the pair.

I'm not too worried about have top of the line equipment, just something we can try out the sport with. If it catches on with us, then I can look into upgrading then.

Thanks.

joker75
SBC Army

Re: Newbie Questions

Postby joker75 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:40 pm

Junior size bikes would probably be a little big for you son. You are probably going to want to look into a mini. The best thing to do would be to go to one of the many bike shops around and put him on a few and see what looks like it fits him best. As far as for you I am 6' tall , but aron 170. Weight isn't as much of a factor as height, and proportions. I ride a bike that is probably between a ProXlL and a ProXXl. Depending on your riding style you could probably be fine on either. Same thing goes though. If you have the chance hit some bike shops and see what size you feel most comfortable on.

As far as what brand, model, everything and else that is entirely personal and depends a lot on how much you want to spend. To keep the price under $400 you are going to have to look prety hard, or consider buying used. There is always someone at the track looking to upgrade so talk to a few people when you get there.

Currently the only track practice we have is during registration on the night of races. This is because the track is built Friday the dau of the races and torn down Sunday after the races are finished. Once summer hits Rad Canyon practices on Tuesday and Races on Thursday. However, sprints and just good old seat time can be had any time the weather permits. Make wure that you have a decent helmet, and the rest of the safety gear is personal preference. You'll see neck braces, elbow guards, Knee/Shin guards and chest protectors. The rules require a helmet, and long sleeved shirt and pants. If yu want to wear shorts or short sleeved shirts you are required to have the kne/Shin guards and Elbow guards.

Hopefully that helps, but I'm sure that you'll ahve more questions as you get started. Just ask around I'm probably the least friendly of the group so as long as you steer clear everyone else is pretty cool.

Good luck and let us know when you are going to race.
Hal Gaerte
Performance Bike Parts
Disclaimer: AKA of "Snappy" has nothing to do with my ability to snap a gate. It has everything to do with the sound bones make when the break. Don't ask, it's a touchy subject.

b2
Not a Troll!

Postby b2 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:07 pm

Hal's got you set in the right direction about everything but let me add a couple things;
1) Protection: i wear the 661 comp pressure suit.

2) on the helmet tip, fullface is the way to go (but not required). most people use MX-grade stuff (SNELL/DOT/ECE certified). Protect the most important part of your body--your dome. Most people use Fly Racing brand as they seem to provide the most support back to the sport. The MX stuff weighs a little more but can offer more protection.

3) your jeans and long sleeve flannel shirt will meet the requirement, but you may eventually decide to get a jersey and leathers--again, same stuff the MXers use (see Fly reference above).

4) Your bike size: i'm 5' 11" 178 and ride a Pro XXL frame--this has a 21.75" top tube--but that's not the only thing to go off of... you'll just want to try a couple out but my bet is the Pro XXL will be closest to the best fit for you.

5) Li'l Dude's bike size: mini is the size to scope first--but if he's a smaller guy, maybe even a Micro Mini (Redline and Haro call it that) or Micro (as GT calls it). My littlest one is almost five and fits the Micro Mini best still. Put him on some at the shops or come to the track and nearly anyone with one in his size will let him at least sit on one. Like Hal says, you'll have to hunt--start the hunt on UtahBMX.com, @ the track, KSL.com, Craigslist, eBay if you're going to buy used.

If you're planning to pick up anything new, check with Heather and Ian of Performance Bike Parts: ginabmx@hotmail.com/801-842-3885. They run a "mobile bike shop" from the track but can order nearly anything in that you'd want. Other "brick and mortar" shops may have some inventory you can see first-hand.

Tools: 15mm open-end wrenches for axle nuts and pedals. asst hex (Allen) wrenches--at least 5mm & 6mm. Some parts will need 8mm, 2.5mm, 3mm and more depending on what you end up with. An adjustable open-end wrench for the odd-sized nut (but I try to stay away from using those), wire cutters (for brake cables), chain breaker tool if you need to be changing up your chains. You may have a lot of the correct tools already being an avid Mtn Biker.

Come out to the track this weekend and check out everything. There are great people in this scene and nearly anyone will help you out.

ktmracer
NEXT

Postby ktmracer » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:01 pm

Thanks. That helps a lot. I'm starting my search. Hopefully I'll be out to the track with some bikes in the next month or so.

ktmracer
NEXT

Postby ktmracer » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:09 pm

How about this bike:

http://cgi.ebay.com/MCS-Stinger-mini-/270700755574?pt=BMX_Bikes&hash=item3f0705ba76

I've never heard of the brand, but the specs sound okay.

jakesteiger
Huffy

Postby jakesteiger » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:48 am

The MCS bikes are a good bike. My son ran an MCS for his first year and did pretty good with it. The best part is the price most mini's and micro mini's are going for about 250 and higher. This bike would be a good bike just starting off, just to get your feet inside the door.

Later,
Jake

sspencer
Factory Bikini Cuts Hotshoe

Postby sspencer » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:12 pm

LakeTown Bicycles is having a sale on their GT BMX complete bikes. Go talk to WIll or Phil and they will set you up.

LakeTown Bicycles
1520 West 9000 South
West Jordan
(801) 432-2995

They are right in front of the Home Depot next to Sonic.

Tell 'em Steve sent you!
Spence'- dizzle fo'- shizzle
UTAH BMX Charter Member

ktmracer
NEXT

Postby ktmracer » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:24 pm

I picked up that MCS. It should be here in a couple weeks. Hopefully then we'll make it out to a race. Thanks everyone for the feedback.

joker75
SBC Army

Postby joker75 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:16 pm

No need to wait until then to come enjoy the fun. You can still come watch and get to know some of the great Utah BMX family. Then you'll have a better idea of how things are run so you can relax and have more fun when you get to race.

Also there is usually a Big Wheel race on Saturday and Sunday for the little tikes that are just learning. I think they run 6 year olds and under, so your son should be just fine to run with that group this weekend. It's great. All of the little groms race kids around their own age, and ride everything from trikes, to strider bikes, to normal bikes with or without training wheels. They race the last two straights which are usually very tame so they don't get too out of control. Everyone gets a trophy to make it more exciting for the kids.

If you get a chance you should try to make it out just to check out the scene before being thrown into the whole thing head first and having to try to figure it all out at once.
Hal Gaerte
Performance Bike Parts
Disclaimer: AKA of "Snappy" has nothing to do with my ability to snap a gate. It has everything to do with the sound bones make when the break. Don't ask, it's a touchy subject.

b2
Not a Troll!

Postby b2 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:46 pm

Yeah, what the joker said. Besides, we only have two weekends left of indoor racing in the SLC area (but red hills has 3 weekends in march and April in salina).

dilleyboys
GHP

Postby dilleyboys » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:22 am

There is also going to be a new track in Farmington. Legacy Raceway BMX. Practice starts in April and racing begins May 6th. Come check it out. I believe there is more information posted on RAD Canyon BMX.

Return to “UtahBMX”