Breaking news! ABA and NBL Merger!!!

Anything and everything about the Utah BMX scene.

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

mackdaddy
Resident Sushi Expert

Breaking news! ABA and NBL Merger!!!

Postby mackdaddy » Tue May 17, 2011 9:48 am

The ABA and NBL are merging. News broke this morning on Vintagebmx.com and BMXnews.com
http://www.vintagebmx.com/community/index.php?showtopic=27055094
http://www.bmxnews.com
Jason Melton
Overland Group
jmelton@overlandcorp.com
http://www.jasonsellsslc.com
(801)860-9357

McCauley
GHP

Re: Breaking news! ABA and NBL Merger!!!

Postby McCauley » Tue May 17, 2011 12:10 pm

Have to keep an eye on this see what Happens ....

McCauley

jakesteiger
Huffy

Postby jakesteiger » Tue May 17, 2011 4:52 pm

I don't think this will effect us all that much here in Utah as we only have one NBL track here in Utah. Although it will be nice when we go down to St. George to visit family to not have to go buy a NBL membership.

Jake

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Tue May 17, 2011 5:23 pm

Thank god this is happening. Us Abbas are not going to notice much of a change this year but next year things will get interesting on the national scene. I also have a feeling this is going to get ugly with the NBL hardcore holdouts not wanting change.

b.
“Sometimes if you want to see a change for the better, you have to take things into your own hands.”

mackdaddy
Resident Sushi Expert

Postby mackdaddy » Tue May 17, 2011 5:41 pm

Jake, this has already effected us. the random cadence was partly adopted to get in line with the UCI, which the NBL was tied with. We will see some age group changes in the next couple of years since the NBL has different age groups. Our age groupings will probably change to be in line with the UCI system. the whole thing will go to 1 magazine which means you will see NBL events covered. all tracks under the USAbmx banner can choose which format to run, IE low point NBL style or traditional ABA qualifying.
the other thing is ABA Grands will be the ABA League Championship and then there will be a USA BMX combined Championships over Christmas weekend.
Its all going to be very interesting.
Jason Melton
Overland Group
jmelton@overlandcorp.com
http://www.jasonsellsslc.com
(801)860-9357

b2
Not a Troll!

Postby b2 » Tue May 17, 2011 8:21 pm

More BMX! Yay!

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Tue May 17, 2011 9:22 pm

Well i called it, Florida is not totally on board & even though the ABA came riding in on Claytons white horse (he's got 30 of them) & saved the sanction, some of the membership want even more & are bitching about it.
I hope the fat is cut sooner than later after the deal is legally done. Another thing, I doubt the whole "keeping it nbl" is going to fly for 12'. No way that could work & I would bet an RC hotdog the race seasons come inline with each other, classes are made like the ABA's,.........everything will be like the ABA's next year.

b.
“Sometimes if you want to see a change for the better, you have to take things into your own hands.”

joker75
SBC Army

Postby joker75 » Wed May 18, 2011 9:34 am

There will definitely be a lot of information coming down the pipeline in the near future. This appears to be a very good thing for the BMX scene as a whole, and I am glad that it appears to be heading the direction that it is going.

B,
I am sure that there will be a lot more of the ABA in the new system, but there just might be things that the NBL has to offer. I can't say what for sure as I have never participated in the NBL, but there are obviously those that would rather race that sanction than the ABA. I look forward to more track options and more opportunities to play bikes with new and old friends.

Hal
Hal Gaerte
Performance Bike Parts
Disclaimer: AKA of "Snappy" has nothing to do with my ability to snap a gate. It has everything to do with the sound bones make when the break. Don't ask, it's a touchy subject.

b2
Not a Troll!

Postby b2 » Wed May 18, 2011 10:12 am

I'm going to guess the age groups will be more online with USAC/UCI.

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Wed May 18, 2011 4:12 pm

Hal,
You freaking ROCK!

Quote -

"So let me get this correct. I like analogies since they paint pretty pictures that I can wrap my head around a little bit easier.

So, I buy a ticket on the Titanic. Not just any old ticket, but a ticket for the best room with the all you can eat/drink deal thrown in. Obviously we all know what happens to the ship (Sanction) I chose to support. Well then this other ship happens to be plugging along headed to the same place as my ship that just sank.

Now this other ship (Sanction) obviously has a full load of their own that has paid for their share of the food and living space on it. They can either move along and leave me to drown, or they can stop by and help out those that are floundering. Once they make the decision to assist those left floundering they realistically don't have any obligation to feed or provide housing for the new passengers, but that wouldn't be very nice now would it.

So the new ship within reason rations the food stores that they have to allow the new passengers to survive, and works things out with their paying customers to make housing arraingements for the rest of the trip. The new ship didn't buy the old ship so the passengers contract for a ticket still exists, it just exists with a ship at the bottom of the ocean.

Now how would it look if these people who were plucked from the ocean and given somewhere to rest their heads and even given enough food to survive now started complaining that they were not being housed in the finest rooms or being allowed to eat all of the food that they want and drink all of the beverages they want. It sounds kind of selfish and unreallistic to me. However the complaining passengers now start trying to find a lawyer onboard the new ship so they can show them their ticket contract stating where they are to be housed, and what they are allowed to eat and drink.

I realize this is a big pill to swallow for those of you that bought into the all you can race plan, but if this had been one year earlier and you had raced the races you did you would have used up just as much money as they are going to take off of your credit. If you were one of the lucky ones that ate the crap out of the buffet for the first part of the voyage before the ship sank, you got lucky. If you didn't it still doesn't make sense to think that others should give up what they have to allow you to gorge yourself for the rest of the journey."

Hal

b.

b2
Not a Troll!

Postby b2 » Wed May 18, 2011 6:39 pm

I love it! :-). Hal adds a lot of great commentary over there! Yay!

onephastkiss
GT

Postby onephastkiss » Wed May 18, 2011 7:21 pm

sounds like the y will do the math and give everyone some $$ back/toward a usbmx card...aba members may have to pay to be usbmx members as well. I guess we will have to just wait and ski and lift weights this weekend!!!

Diesel
AA Pro Track Sweeper

Postby Diesel » Thu May 19, 2011 6:26 pm

Could someone run me through how an NBL race is run with 35 riders in a single class. For some reason, I bet they have not had that problem much. How does it work? Never been to an NBL race ever. Is their format better? If it is WHY? If not WHY? Come on B, hook me up here!

Why do you guys think the ABA wants to come and prop up their failed program instead of just plowing them under and then pick up the pieces? Are they just trying to be PC?

Diesel
Man made Global Warming is a HOAX!
Al Gore and his boy's gonna take you to the cleaners while they get bank!
Stop Obamacare, Cap and Tax and Alien Amnesty!

onephastkiss
GT

Postby onephastkiss » Thu May 19, 2011 7:07 pm

EVERY MOTO COUNTS TOWARD NAT. POINTS. EVERYONE RACES 3 ROUNDS. LOW POINTS MOVE ON. MAIN IS MORE POINTS, BUT CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG NOT AS MUCH AS AN ABA MAIN POINTS. I PERSONALLY PREFER THE NBL SCORING. NO ONE SITS OUT A ROUND, AND NO SANDBAGGING. MAINS ARE BONUS POINTS....YOU CAN WIN A MAIN, BUT NOT WIN HIGH POINTS FOR THE DAY. GET IT -GOT IT- GOOD

Diesel
AA Pro Track Sweeper

Postby Diesel » Thu May 19, 2011 7:22 pm

How many racks??? You didn't fully answer the question. How do you get 35 riders to the main with 5 or 6 racks? Do they mix the riders up or you race the same guys for 3 rounds?

BTW, I'm not digging having to go race for all the marbles over Christmas. What's up with that????????
Man made Global Warming is a HOAX!
Al Gore and his boy's gonna take you to the cleaners while they get bank!
Stop Obamacare, Cap and Tax and Alien Amnesty!

Return to “UtahBMX”