Thanks a lot Dave, now I want a Black Market

Anything and everything about the Utah BMX scene.

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

sixstringsteve
GT

Thanks a lot Dave, now I want a Black Market

Postby sixstringsteve » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:59 pm

I need another bike like I need a hole in the head but ever since I rode Dave's Black Market, I've been haunted with the thought of another bike. I like having a beater DJ hardtail that I can abuse and not worry about. I don't plan on racing this bike, but I do want to use it for fooling around, pump tracks, trails, skate parks, etc.

I've owned and ridden a lot of 26" bikes, and I love my hardtail, but Dave's was the funnest I've tried yet. I really enjoy riding my cruiser as well, I feel like it's the perfect size. Maybe it's cuz I'm 5'6" small, or maybe 24" wheels have some magic about them, but Dave's bike, along with my love for my cruiser, has possessed me to consider building up a 24" DJ hardtail.

Here's what I'm thinking:
Frame: Black Market Contraband - cromo, 24" DJ hardtail w/14.4" chainstays!!!
Fork: who knows, but I don't want the bike to have a raked out at the head tube angle, so I plan on something either intended for a 24" bike, or a 26" fork with 8-100mm.

components: single-speed with an avid bb7 mechanical disk brake (my favorite brake, even over hydro). I'm thinking profile cranks, some decent disk wheels, and that's it.

Who knows if it'll ever happen, but i think it'd be a BLAST to ride at the dirt jumps. I love a 26" hardtail for DJ, but it's just a bit too big for me at times.

Here's some more info on the frame:
http://www.bikerumor.com/2010/01/21/bla ... tain-bike/
http://blackmarketbikes.com/index.php?p ... contraband
Last edited by sixstringsteve on Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

sixstringsteve
GT

Re: Thanks a lot Dave, now I want a Black Market

Postby sixstringsteve » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:14 pm

Does anyone know of anyone rockin a 24" DJ hardtail with a suspension fork? I'd love to try it out in person before dropping the cash on a brand new build.

After some more research, I think I have narrowed it down to:
- tonic fall guy (I love that it uses v-brakes)
- Molly Maguire
- NS capital
- blk mrkt contraband (although I hear they don't do so great with a suspension fork)

sixstringsteve
GT

Postby sixstringsteve » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:00 pm

After a phone call with Black Market, I've ruled out the Contraband. They recommend it with a rigid fork. They said 60mm would be the max suspension fork they'd recommend, and I plan on running at least 80mm.

ogr13
COG

Postby ogr13 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:01 pm

Don't blame me, I warned you before I let you ride it! :lol:
Personaly, I blame Kevin Dilley and Steve Olson. If they had not let me borrow their bikes...
You may want to talk to Steve Olson as he just built a Santa Cruz (Jekyl?) for his son and I think it's running 24" wheels.
The more I get to play on this bike, the more I enjoy it!
Not sure if I will continue to race on it, I just wanna play on it...
Dave Cote
Crazy Old Guy

sixstringsteve
GT

Postby sixstringsteve » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:14 pm

ogr13 wrote:You may want to talk to Steve Olson as he just built a Santa Cruz (Jekyl?) for his son and I think it's running 24" wheels.

I'd love to talk to him. You'll have to introduce us.

sixstringsteve
GT

Postby sixstringsteve » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:56 pm

I sold a guitar today and bought a new (to me) bike with the monies. Dang Dave, 5 days after riding your riot, that's gotta be a record. That's a powerful bike you've got there.

Details:
unionstreetbikes.com (that's my actual bike on the union street home page)
http://unionstreetbikes.com/product/molly.php

Union Street Molly Maguire - cro-mo frame built for 24" wheels and an 80mm suspension fork.
14.7" CS, 22" TT, 72* head angle, weighing in at 26 lbs (which is quite light for this bike).

It's meant to feel like a BMX bike, not a MTB. It's getting shipped to me from the other side of the states, so it'll be a week or two 'till it gets here, but once it's here, anyone who wants to is welcome to ride it.

Some pictures:

It's not here yet, but I thought I'd share the good news.

ogr13
COG

Postby ogr13 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:41 pm

Sounds like just what you were looking for & looks sweeeeet!
Remember the responsibility that comes with it & warn others before you let them try it!
Now I have to beat 5 days... :twisted:
Who wants to ride my bike?
Dave Cote
Crazy Old Guy

sixstringsteve
GT

Postby sixstringsteve » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:52 pm

ogr13 wrote:Remember the responsibility that comes with it & warn others before you let them try it!

Yeah, I had forgotten about the responsibility involved, thanks for the reminder. Maybe I should make them sign a waiver before they ride it, stating that I'm not held responsible if they are no longer satisfied with their current bike.

And I have to thank you again for allowing me to take a lap around the course on your bike, it was influential enough for me to justify yet another bike. I'm really curious if your riot is a 21.5 or 22" TT. I'm going to guess 22". I'll bet it'd handle like a machine if you lowered the travel in that fork to 80-100mm.
Last edited by sixstringsteve on Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ogr13
COG

Postby ogr13 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:08 pm

That, and tires, are next on the list.
There's always a list...
Dave Cote
Crazy Old Guy

sixstringsteve
GT

Postby sixstringsteve » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:18 pm

It's gotten so bad for me that my lists have lists.

redneck
Huffy

Postby redneck » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:27 pm

You gotta watch that COG Dave he will talk you into things like two bikes :lol: That looks like a awesome bike that i would wanna try but will fight the temptations of your evils :twisted: I am looking forward to seeing you on a 24' wheel based bike in the gate here soon steve.

sixstringsteve
GT

Postby sixstringsteve » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:51 pm

redneck wrote:You gotta watch that COG Dave he will talk you into things like two bikes :lol: That looks like a awesome bike that i would wanna try but will fight the temptations of your evils :twisted: I am looking forward to seeing you on a 24' wheel based bike in the gate here soon steve.

That's true, I think it might have been Dave (and Jake come to think of it) that talking me into racing cruiser as well as 20". Now look at me, I'm a mess; a 20", a cruiser, and a cruiser DJ. I'm loving every minute of it.

I'll be racing my cruiser on the 7th. But I'm only doing it so you can start making the mains Jake. Your wife told me how you cry at night because you can't make the mains in your cruiser class, and I felt bad for you. Now you know. :mrgreen:

j/k, I doubt you're even in my cruiser class. You're too young. I look forward to riding with the fast guys and learning from them.

Skew
GT

Postby Skew » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:39 am

Dang Steve, I'm jealous! Cool bike! You've purchased three bikes in as many months. If they gave ABA points for enthusiasm and dedication you'd have a number one plate for sure. I appreciate your energy in this sport as it's infectious.
Logan

sixstringsteve
GT

Postby sixstringsteve » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:04 am

Skew wrote:You've purchased three bikes in as many months.

Fortunately I've sold two guitars this month, which helped pay for my bike toys.

Thanks Logan, you're a good friend. Ever since my first race you've been nothing but kind. Hey, if you're ready to start racing cruiser you're welcome to race this Molly 'till you get one for yourself. It's not the lightest thing on the block (26 lbs), but you'll still kick my butt on it. I just don't know how I'm going to get 5 bikes to the races...

I've always loved bikes, I've just been out of the loop for a while, and I could never find people to ride with in the past. In college all I wanted to do was ride, but none of my roomates would ever go with me. I've never had such cool people to share my hobby with. If anything's infectious, it's the amazing bmx scene we have here.

Unfortunately they give aba points for wins, and so far neither of my 3 bikes have brought me any :lol: but I'm having so much fun.

I'm glad it's spreading. It's always more fun to play bikes with others who enjoy it as well. I have a hard time finding friends who have time to play on the weekends. BMX is where it's at!

b2
Not a Troll!

Postby b2 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:55 pm

Looks like Steve needs to buy a trailer now... Jackie may still have a nice one for sale.

Return to “UtahBMX”