Cargo trailers. Where to shop?

Anything and everything about the Utah BMX scene.

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

bnd
Information Minister

Cargo trailers. Where to shop?

Postby bnd » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:56 am

I'm at that point now that we need one. We have a mid-sized SUV so I'm looking at a 5x8. After looking around the prices are starting around $1200 for a new one & up. Any tips on what to look for & where to buy ( customer service, warrenty, ect) would be appreciated.

Thanks.
b.
“Sometimes if you want to see a change for the better, you have to take things into your own hands.”

skicruz78
GT

Re: Cargo trailers. Where to shop?

Postby skicruz78 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:35 am

bnd wrote:I'm at that point now that we need one. We have a mid-sized SUV so I'm looking at a 5x8. After looking around the prices are starting around $1200 for a new one & up. Any tips on what to look for & where to buy ( customer service, warrenty, ect) would be appreciated.

Thanks.
b.

Ditto!

Skicruz
Christopher Morley
Let's play bikes!

sixstringsteve
GT

Postby sixstringsteve » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:31 am

I've only stopped by for parts (wiring, lights, etc), but Lone Peak Trailer at the point of the mountain treated me like a regular customer. Keep in mind that I haven't purchased a trailer there before, but the fact that they'd treat me well for $60 of wier makes me think they'll treat anyone well. They have a HUGE inventory as well.

I'll be watching this thread closely. I'm getting to the point where we'll be needing something like this soon, but I'm going to have to hit KSL for a used one.

Kaosracer
NEXT

Postby Kaosracer » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:50 pm

i got mine at Trailer Source in murray, if you tell them its for bmx they say they will give discounts but say and do are entirely different. Mine is a Wells Cargo TC treker Vee nose 6x10 and it was 2600 OTD. there is also a trailer shop just north of the Humane Society that sells Interstate trailers and they have good deals for CASH sales.

JAlvey
GT

Postby JAlvey » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:56 pm

Ours is from wasatch trailer in Kaysville. They've always been outstanding to work with.

Some things I've learned: 6' wide is better than 5' because you can rack bikes on both walls without overlapping. Get a fold down door instead of a hinged one. The wind is always blowing at Rad outdoor and slamming the hinged door shut/open. Make them throw in a spare tire and tire rack. Make sure it has interior lights. Get one tall enough that you can stand up without hitting your head (5' should work for you Bruce!)

I'm glad we got one. We just keep our stuff in there between races, so when its time to race, loading is as easy as hooking up and pulling away. That also frees up some space in the garage (buy more bikes!). I looked for a used one for a while, but then realized that if you shoo for a while and pay cash, new ones are only 20-30% more than well used ones. In other words, they hold their value well. You will probably be able to use one for 5-6 years and then sell it for 400-500 less than you paid

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:37 am

Getting ready for the races is at least an hr or more process & I have to unload everything before I go to bed on race night then do the same thing over the next day. It's a hassle & only going to get worse when Romey starts getting mobile. Right now we would have 2- cruisers, 1- 20" & a mini. chairs, playpin, Big Ogio bag & misc gear. Probebly a cooler too.

Iv'e driven by Wasatch Trailers many a time & noticed their inventory. Somebody else recommended them too. The info Alvey provided answered alot of my questions but I think I'm going to try to stay with a smaller one. Reason being we also go up to Wyoming alot to visit family & will use this to haul our stuff. I would like the trailer's footprint to not stick out a mile vertically & horizontally because of wind resistance. The Meltons had a killer trailer that was custom I think that followed the lines of their truck. Does color matter or cost different? I like the look of grey/silver.

Iv'e scoured KSL alot & noticed they keep their value & good deals are snatched up fast.

b.
“Sometimes if you want to see a change for the better, you have to take things into your own hands.”

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:45 pm

I was up North today & found time to stop by Wasatch Trailers. I talked with Damon who after a while, I found out I knew him from bitd & we knew alot of the same people in the motorcycle crowd. Small world.

Anyways, after looking I'm leaning towards a 5x10 enclosed w/ a ramp door. Roughly in the nieghborhood of $1900 bucks. I can stand 3 bikes at the front with the rest of my gear in the rear. Looks to be perfect for our family right now. I just have to figure out a way to secure them standing up. Im sure there are ways implimenting a bike stand & tie downs or something like that.

Do I need to have this thing licensed?

b.

JAlvey
GT

Postby JAlvey » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:21 pm

There are a few different ways to set up a rack and lock system in the trailer. Check out mine, waynes, and dallas' this weekend

You do need plates/registration. I think it comes out to about $18/year

sixstringsteve
GT

Postby sixstringsteve » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:34 pm

licensing depends on the weight of the trailer.

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:49 pm

I picked up a 5x10, ramp door, LED lights, 14" tires, 1 yr bumper to bumper warranty, tax & licensed for $2150 out the door.

The customer service was great. If your in the market I wouldn't look any further. Drop my name to Damon if you go shopping.
Wasatch Trailers in Kaysville.

b.

sixstringsteve
GT

Postby sixstringsteve » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:45 pm

Cool, congrats. I'd love to check it out sometime.

zuluprinciple
NEXT

Postby zuluprinciple » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:23 pm

Hi

Did a search for bmx trailer setups and found this link on google.

We race bmx up here in Vancouver Canada and i just purchased a 6x10 trailer and was looking for some ideas on how to set it up.

Any chance those with a setup can post some pics!

Thanks

Wendell

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:18 am

Ill try to get some pics of mine up soon. It's pretty simple. I bought some Yakima bike holders(?) for about $10 bucks a piece, mounted them on a short 2x4 then bolted that to the floor. I also mounted some u-straps to the floor on each side. So I have 3 of my bikes at the front of the trailer standing up. I then ratchet down the one wheel in the holder. I then tie-strap the handlebars down to the u-straps. I bought a thick piece of foam & put it at the very front so my tires don't push up against the front wall hard.
Pretty simple but it is kind of a pain in the butt. I just have to dial it in a little better.

Thanks for finding us.

b.

Dwayne6Lane
NEXT

Postby Dwayne6Lane » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:25 am

bnd wrote:I picked up a 5x10, ramp door, led lighting, 14" tires, 1 yr bumper to bumper warranty, tax & licensed for $2150 out the door.

The customer service was great. If your in the market I wouldn't look any further. Drop my name to Damon if you go shopping.
Wasatch Trailers in Kaysville.

b.

Hello can you tell an online store for the shopping? I am waiting for your reply.. Thanks
Last edited by Dwayne6Lane on Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:07 pm

Not sure what your needing......a Wasatch Trailer website? Maybe try goggling them.
Like I said, they are in Kaysville, great service.

b.

Return to “UtahBMX”