Dropping the Gate

Anything and everything about the Utah BMX scene.

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

DJ Darby Crash
NEXT

Dropping the Gate

Postby DJ Darby Crash » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:45 pm

I would like to get a little input from the BMX world. I am curious on what people feel is an appropriate amount of time before the gate drops.

Let me explain, some people want the gates to move at a slower pace so that they can relax and enjoy the local track. No rush, get into the gate finish getting ready by pulling your gloves tight and cinching down the helmet. Heck, it's a local race, take it easy.

However, there are those that want would like the gates to drop faster. Give it more of a National Race feel. Have 2 motos on the track at a time. Basically, get in the gate and within about 15 seconds or less it drops. Most of us have gone to a National or have seen one and they don't mess around. Get in, clip in and go.

By being more lax on the gates it has been said that it gets people less ready for how a National is run and is a dis-service. By running them faster it has been said that it adds pressure where some just want to come and enjoy a nice day of racing.

I know the main goal of all tracks is to keep people coming and the sport growing. What is the majority rule on this subject?

PAPAWHEELY
Schwinn

Re: Dropping the Gate

Postby PAPAWHEELY » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:47 pm

I don't think you have to run them as fast as the Nationals, the racers who go to Nationals should allready be used to fast gates. I feel that during qualifying you should start the cadence when the preceeding moto is on the third straight. That still gives you time to stop the cadence in case of a crash. During the mains,when the previous moto is on the last straight, giving time for the announcer to announce the full race and podium finishes of those who made their mains.
On a related subject, if you're in the gate, be ready to race, no matter what your gate routine is(clip in etc). I saw one of my future competitors (56-60) loose a national main because he was watching me and not paying attention to his own race.
Matt

ogr13
COG

Postby ogr13 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:11 pm

Well said Matt!
Thanks for working the gate Darby!
Dave Cote
Crazy Old Guy

JAlvey
GT

Postby JAlvey » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:01 am

I think that just what you are doing works great, and thanks for volunteering to do it. We need to run the gate fairly quickly in order to get the race done in a reasonable amount of time. What you were doing works perfect. At a national, they usually drop it once everyone is on the second straight. Darby was dropping it very regularly as riders went through the third turn, and most of us noticed that and prepared accordingly.

Matt suggested during the mains waiting until the prior moto finishes which is a good idea. Allows the anouncing to quiet down for those who listen for the beeps. Allows the spectators to watch a close finish and the next start. Most importantly, over the years, I've seen close races at the finish result in riders being pushed off the track, potentially into the first straight. It wouldn't work to well if another full rack of adults were charging that head on.

Return to “UtahBMX”