ICup Race #1, St. George Desert Rampage.

Anything and everything about the Utah BMX scene.

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

bnd
Information Minister

ICup Race #1, St. George Desert Rampage.

Postby bnd » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:44 pm

We headed down to St. George for the first MTB cross country race of the year on Friday. The weather was a perfect 70* degrees. The course was just west out of town by a few miles & we pre-rode it Friday afternoon. A couple of really steep climbs & some bombing downhill sections that took you to warp 10.
Changes made this year is that the beginner mens class is now an open, basically 18 years & over. I didn't have a problem with it but some of the older guys in my class from last year did. I was told by Stout that you must get to the first climb, on this course, in the lead group or your stuck in traffic. The shake out section was about 1/2 mile.
I had 18 guys in my class & we were the first group to go. I took off & from the get-go there was 4 of us that dropped the main group. The lead swapped a few times during the 1st climb, we dropped one guy & I briefly held the lead until one of our group dropped the hammer & I couldn't respond without blowing up. I got passed by a bunch of the Jr' class racers that started behind us & lost where I was in my class. Near the end of the final desent I had a major OTB's, cut up my knee but got back on & finshed strong. I thought I had a top 10 for sure but was shocked when I checked the results & finshed 2nd overall, 3 minutes behind the leader. I'll take that.
Danita had a great race & all the gals in here class finished within 5 minutes from 1st to last. She placed 6th overall & not that far out of contending for the top spot. She literally got on her bike for the first time Friday since last Fall so the season looks good for her.
I saw a few old friends & chatted it up with Mike Oblad. I'm not sure how he did in his class but he might of won.

Next race is in a month at the same location but different course. I can't wait to get down there, hopefully podium & maybe turn myself up to the Sport class. Looks like my time would of gotten me mid-pack so the season looks promising.

Mike Oblad in his new team gear.

b.
“Sometimes if you want to see a change for the better, you have to take things into your own hands.”

Return to “UtahBMX”