Things to come?

Anything and everything about the Utah BMX scene.

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

bnd
Information Minister

Things to come?

Postby bnd » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:24 pm

I pulled this off of V, Carruth chimed in on tracks. I agree for the most part but will it ever happen? Doubtful.
Pretty interesting take though.

Quote -
"The tamer track very well could impact attendance at the local national-caliber track. But that's how free markets work, offer programming or products that the people want, and watch them come buy them. Except in the case of a town with 5,000 people, there are plenty of kids and parents who would give BMX racing a try, if the track was approachable, and did not present a risk of debilitating injury that puts the family's livelihood at stake.

I have heard it said many-a-time here on Vintage, and at the races as well that some of the old timers would like to race again with their kids, but just can't risk it. I'm sure we could add a few thousand (nationwide) mountain bike riding parents who might give it a try as well, in order to spend more time with their kid.

We need more tracks, of any scale--as long as they have a starting gate, and can run races. "Normal" people (non-BMXers) think it is crazy-insane to drive 90 minutes to the next state to go practice bike riding. But if it is in their town, or under a 20-minute drive away, I think they could be sold on it.

IMHO, the rhythm section is the biggest...how shall I say...obstacle. If an existing track were to make an attempt to make their track more beginner friendly, one step they could take is to create a parallel straightaway to the rhythm, which has maybe half the rollers, and spaces them out more, so if a beginner gets out-of-shape, they have time to recover--or if they do crash, they don't impact the face of the next one.

Ideally, we'd have another few hundred of these "B-level" tracks--recreational tracks that run local races for for that town and maybe the surrounding towns--and making a big deal about it when someone is ready to move on to the mainline track that might be 30 or 40 miles away. Progression is good. But not when you have to start on a track that is a 6 or 7 in technicality out of 10 points.

Ultimately, the current tracks might feel a pinch for one season or so, but my guess is that the riders who might otherwise be there anyway will tire of the recreational track, and move up to the harder track on their own.

Recreational riders would eventually move on up to the more challenging track in their area. As we have said here before, it's all in how you present it to the participants. We have two of the three levels (National-contender and Elite/Supercross tracks) already in place...we just do not have any on that beginner-rung.

Someday, I hope.

Best,

M

Quote".

b.
“Sometimes if you want to see a change for the better, you have to take things into your own hands.”

Return to “UtahBMX”