MTN Bike Updates...

Anything and everything about the Utah BMX scene.

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

joeynsophia
Intense

MTN Bike Updates...

Postby joeynsophia » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:23 pm

Thought I would share some news on how some of our BMX'rs are doing in other disciplines.

Cody Kelley- For those of you who haven't heard, Cody has signed with Yeti Bikes for 2016. Cody now has the opportunity to travel the world and race in the EWS series! (Major Leagues of Enduro). He currently took off to spend 3 months in NZ and Australia to train with some of the fastest in the world. Looking forward to seeing the results of his hard work. Check out his new video on Pinkbike with Richie Rude...http://www.pinkbike.com/news/yeti-fox-w ... -2016.html

Nevada State Downhill Championships- The first race of the year happened last weekend in Boulder Nevada. This race is always a fun event to attend with riders from all over the west in attendance. We had a few local riders make the trip. Below are the results:

Ian Johnson- 1st place Cat 3 Dual Slalom, 2nd Place Cat 3 Downhill
Max Shepard- 2nd place Cat 2 Dual Slalom, 3rd place Cat 2 Downhill
Joey Foresta- 1st place Cat1/Pro Dual Slalom, 1st place Cat 1 Downhill

Haven't heard what the plans are for Mitch yet this year. Hopefully we will know more and update everyone.
Attachments
_DSC1627.jpg

J Gallo
Web Guy

Re: MTN Bike Updates...

Postby J Gallo » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:19 pm

Thanks for the updates!
Gallo
"The ability to walk fully upright is overrated. Along with tying your own shoes."

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:59 am

Any news coming from the downhill crowd?

I saw Cody Kelly won Pro at Sundance. I also just saw Rope is on Santa Cruz now.

b.
“Sometimes if you want to see a change for the better, you have to take things into your own hands.”

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:58 pm

My son has been racing the lil' shredder classes in the ICup series but hasn't really been "mt biking" all but once this season. All that changed today.
We got up and after lazing around for awhile I asked if he wanted to go ride in Corner Canyon and he said sure. My wife told me to not waste my time because he basically couldn't handle it, I said sure but made a beeline there anyways. We didn't hit the trail until 10am and it was already hot. We started off at the Equestrian center & headed straight up. We crossed over the barriers to Clarks, rode up Clarks to the horse corral. There were a few spots where he petered out but for the most part he surprised the hell out of me with his climbing & overall gettin' after it. We took a break at the top.

By this time it was hot, hot, hot!
We headed down Annes over to Potato Hill & then down Creek View. I rode behind him and coached for awhile, telling him this & that but after awhile I kept my mouth shut and as the turns rolled bye I noticed the speed and confidence got higher & higher. After we spit out to the road we headed down to the bike park for some pump track action.

A couple of things I noticed, I took some air out of his tires, down to about 20lbs (tubes) & it smoothed out the ride. He weighs about 55 lbs.
I need to find a bigger cog for the rear, something like a 32 or 34. It would just make it a little easier in super steep places. He runs a 34t in front.
The G-Form knee pads work great for kids. I got these at Go-Ride.
Salt Cycles sell little kid padded shorts, but I would imagine a lot of places do to. He got the same riding lube treatment in the shorts too and it did make a difference. Trying to convince him of that was a different story though.

My kid surprised the heck out of my wife when we got home, the Strava says we rode about 10 miles with 1400' elevation of climbing.
Get your kids out on the trails, they might surprise you!

b.
“Sometimes if you want to see a change for the better, you have to take things into your own hands.”

joeynsophia
Intense

Postby joeynsophia » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:16 am

National Champs update….

Last weekend a small contingency of BMX riders traveled to Mammoth Ca for the 2016 National gravity championships. It was a great weekend for all who attended. We had a few riders who were there competing for the first time on that large of a stage…

Dylan Bonino- Finished mid pack in both Dual Slalom and Downhill. Dylan rode extremely well all weekend!
Pete Gates- Raced very well all weekend and I believe he has found a new passion in cycling!
Carson Spencer-Finished mid pack in the very competitive Under 14 Junior classes. This class is packed with some very talented riders that have 3/4 years of experience on this big of stage. Carson gave them all they could handle!
Ian Johnson-With a 4th place podium finish in Cat 2 Dual Slalom and mid pack with a few mistakes in DH.
Max Shepard- Unfortunately crashed in practice and was not able to race.

Some other finishes of interest were…
Logan Mcphee..Logan finished with a very respectable 11th place in the Cat 1 15/16 class riding the gnarly pro course. Logan was flying all weekend!
Joey Foresta…Won the National title in the Cat1 15/16 class for DH and raced in the Pro class for Dual Slalom where he finished 3rd against some of the Best in the world.

Mitch Ropelato had a stellar weekend with a first place finish in Dual Slalom, Second place in Downhill, and then topped it off with a win on Sunday in Enduro.

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:27 pm

Jackson Hole, 4th of July weekend w/ Grady, Danita & Beau Mahaffey.

https://vimeo.com/176259794

b.

Return to “UtahBMX”