Riders that we have lost.

Anything and everything about the Utah BMX scene.

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

sspencer
Factory Bikini Cuts Hotshoe

Utah Loses BMX Icon Bob Lunak

Postby sspencer » Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:56 pm

It is a very sad day for Utah BMX. Long time track operator, team manager and all around great guy, Bob Lunak passed away this evening after battling a long bout with cancer.

Bob was instrumental in taking Utah BMX to the next level and adding a huge dose of professionalism in the 80's and 90's. Some of you may remember him as the TM for the "A-Team" out of Utah which consisted of national standouts Kris Park (his step son), Joey May, Dave Beeson, Bill Brzenk, Dale Yohe, Gary Gines and more. He was also the inventor/owner of Body Belt (frame pads and kidney belt). He operated the River View/Twin Peaks track in Salt Lake in the mid-80's into the early 90's. He was a father figure and best friend to all who knew him and his legacy will live on in the thriving scene that is Utah BMX today. I attribute a great deal of my BMX knowledge and experience to Bob and with out his influence I would probably not have succeeded in some of my endeavors.

We will miss you Bob.... R.I.P.

Your student, admirer and friend,
Steve
Spence'- dizzle fo'- shizzle
UTAH BMX Charter Member

Heather Allred
Huffy Queen

Postby Heather Allred » Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:21 am

Steve
Great post, I am lost for words after reading that post. Those were some fun racing days for sure.
R.I.P Bob

Heather

TP
Stud Vet Pro

Postby TP » Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:55 pm

I only had the pleasure of knowing Bob for a short time, I came back to racing in January of 1990 after 6 or so years away. Bob was running the twin peaks track at the time. Bob ask me if I would like to ride on the national Body Belt/ A-team. And of coarse I said yes! I rode for Bob for a few months before I hurt my knee and had to quit racing in August 1990. I learned a lot from Bob in that short time. He said a few things to me that touched my heart and I still remember to this day 15 years later. I can remember where we were and exactly what he said ! Isn't it funny how words of encouragement and praise can stay with a person for the rest of their life. Bob will always have a part in my racing success ! R.I.P

My hope is that everyone who knew Bob will go on from this point forward and be a positive person and be the one touching peoples hearts in a good way as Bob did mine!

BMXER4LIFE
Master of the Snap

Postby BMXER4LIFE » Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:49 pm

I had the opportunity to know Bob when I started racing here in Utah in 1994 after being stationed at Hill Air Force Base. He was a great guy that loved the sport and was always enthusiastic about it. I loved the Twin Peaks track and after Bob stepped away from the Utah scene, I personally missed his presence. I would always ask Kris how he was doing whenever I ran into him. My deepest condolences go out to his family. Bob, you may be gone but you will never be forgotten by those whose lives you touched through your love for BMX and the Utah BMX scene.

oldschoolbmxer

Bob will be missed by many !!!

Postby oldschoolbmxer » Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:29 am

Bob is an incredible man that has a Heart without boundries.
Bob did not have children of his own but took in a mass of kids that grew well while under his Wing. Three of Bob's kids made their mark on the national and world levels of competitive sports.

Beyond his passion for BMX and Arm Wrestling, Bob was a talented musician. He was a member of the band The Lemon Drops who too made their lasting mark on the music scene. Bob had recently purchased a new Guitar and had start playing again.

On top of all of these great accomplishments, Bob was a fanatic about nice vehicles. Bob's cross country Big Rigs were top notch just like the cars he rebuilt with plenty of power over the years.

My best memory of Bob was his ability to successfully communicate with everyone.
I was fortunate to run around with many of Bob's kids. We were for the most part within 2-3 years of each other. Bob would keep a distant eye on all of us and you would know if you had stepped out of bounds.
Bob would tilt his head forward and to the side a bit and give the look of
"I see what you are up to, don't let it happen again".
With Bob's massive structure, and swift movement, generally we did not need told twice. The lesson was quickly learned and never forgotten.

Rest In Peace Bob, we will miss your person... retain all the memories and forever be in the presence of your spirit.

dopebmx

bob

Postby dopebmx » Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:20 am

i will miss him very dearly. He taught me the fundamentals of bmx. when we created dope, kris and i traveled everywhere to race. He coached us and taught us how to be winners. he did not understand how or why we did not win at every event. He taught Kris how to be the best bmx racer ever to come from ut. he taught me how to have a bmx company. If bob had not sat me done and told me what was up Static would not be the leading numberplate producer for al of MTB racing. Bob i will keep the promiss i made you. i will watch out for the family and i will make sure he is a double aa before we quit. The next time you see Kris please take a few moments to thank him for what his dad did for the sport. If it was not for his father we would not have one of the only facilities dedicated to bmx. I am over come by sorrow and think that the world sucks because i lost one of the only true friends that i ever had. bob, please whip that stop watch out on god and tell him like you always told us "he could be faster if he wanted to". love you bob
'michael
dopebmx

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:10 pm

My PC bit the dust or I would of posted up alot sooner than this.

What great thoughts & memorys you guys have typed up here about Bob. All true & heartfelt. It's really hard to put into words the influence Bob had on me, my brother & hundreds of kids over the years. When I get my home PC back on line in a few days i've got some treats for the people in here that showcases Bobs announcing skills & how he welcomed me back to BMX after an 8 year layoff.

I first met Bob when he worked at the Perry BMX Family Bike center off of Ft. Union, in 1983. I saved up enough money to buy my first real BMX frame & Bob sold me a Patterson. He was totally cool to me & my family & always had time to sit & chat. He was the gate starter for the indoors & outdoors & I'll always remember the look he would give us when he would say "set 'em up riders".
One day I wandered into the old Bike World store around 85' to pick something up & Spiro, Bob & Jim were sitting there shooting the breeze. Spiro handed me an album & told me to pick out the kid on the cover who might of been Bob. This was when I found out he was in a rock band.

I stopped racing & went on with my life but found myself driving by the Riverview/Twin Peaks track in the spring of 93', I stopped in, didn't recognize anybody but there was Bob still running the show. I'll never forget when he saw me & gave me a handshake & was making me feel at home. I raced the next week & he made me feel like a million when he was announcing my moto's, telling everybody that OS Bruce was back, I'll never forget that. The summer of 94' when EVERYBODY came out to start racing again was probebly the most memorable season ever for me because Bob made it so.

Iv'e got a bunch more stories of Bob that I'll share later but you all get the picture, Bob was special, one of the good guys. He kept the BMX scene here in Utah alive during the down years of 86'-93'. I will truly miss Bob & his smiling face for sure but his influence & positive outlook on things will stay with me forever.

Sincerely,
Bruce, Danita, Andrew & Valerie.

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:39 pm

I went to the viewing Friday evening. People were filing in early & when we left, the line to pay last respects was long. I saw guys I haven't seen in 20 years & alot of familer faces I couldn't put names to. People from out of state showed up, people from the industry & some very famous people in the cycling ranks.
Bob was laid to rest Saturday afternoon & even though I couldn't go, I hear that the ceremony was beautiful. R.I.P. Bob & like somebody said earlier, next time you see Dave or Kris, thank them for the contributions Bob made to our local scene. I really doubt that it would be what it is today without him being the leader & torchbearer for Utah BMX.

Bruce

UtahLori
Utah's Girl Pro Mom

Tyler Topham

Postby UtahLori » Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:14 am

We just wanted to send condolances to the Topham family and let them know our thoughts and prayers are with them.

Tyler and his cousin Wesley were a lot of fun to have along on a road trip. They were always entertaining and comical. We enjoyed the time we spent with them both.

Tyler was a talented rider on the track and trails and had a really good heart towards his fellow men, riders and friends.

We will miss you Tyler.

The Martin's
You can't always change your destination overnight but you can change your direction.

UtahLori
Utah's Girl Pro Mom

Postby UtahLori » Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:58 am

If anyone has any information about services, please let us know.

LM

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:41 pm

Man, this sucks. :cry:

I didn't know Tyler very well but when I see his name it reminds me of Lindon BMX & 2 of the most competitive races I ever had down there.

In 20" I would always get moved down into his class so we raced each other alot. He would always get the lead on me & would usually beat me, but one day I figured out those last two turns, when they were big & bowled out. In a main I was following him & in the second to last I railed it & high-lowed the last one hard, came out next to him & he seemed shocked! We were handlebar to handlebar coming out & I started running him to the outside line, he leaned on me & we started trading 'bows....I nailed him hard & he went down like 10ft from the finishline. I felt great but thought he would be coming up pissed but he came over & shook hands & said that was a great race. Next race I did the excate same thing but made it clean & beat him by a knobby & he just looked at the sky & shook his head laughing. After those two races he figured out my move & I never beat him again.
He went on to be a very fast expert with a ton of skills. I'll definatly miss Tyler & won't forget him.

b.

UtahLori
Utah's Girl Pro Mom

Postby UtahLori » Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:44 pm

Tyler Lee Topham

Our TyTy passed away peacefully in his sleep on January 9, 2006. He was born on October 31, 1983, to Julee Topham Pierce and Bill Topham, in Provo, Utah.
He is survived by his parents, Julee (Paul Woodcox) Topham Pierce of Orem and Bill (Kimberly) Topham, of Benjamin, Utah. Also by his 3 brothers & 4 sisters, Josh Topham, Angela (Travas) Gren, Holly (Mike) Sanchez Topham, Jaclyn (Kyle J.) Bateman, Billy Joe Topham, Karrie (Jeff) Baker, Randy Gaisford. Also by 4 nephews and 7 nieces and a lot more family and many friends. He is preceded in death by his grandfather, Norman Wesley Topham.
Our TyTy put all of his effort and energy into his family, friends, BMX racing and motorcycle riding.
Funeral services will be held Friday, January 13, 2006, at 11 a.m. in the Park First Ward Chapel, 50 South 750 West, Orem. Family and friends may call Thursday evening from 6-8 p.m. in the Walker Sanderson Funeral Home, 646 East 800 North, Orem and from 9:45-10:45 a.m. prior to the services at the church. Interment will be held in the Orem City Cemetery.
Condolences may be sent to the family at: www.walkerfamilymortuaries.com
Published in the Daily Herald on 1/11/2006.
Guest Book • Flowers • Charities
http://www.legacy.com/heraldextra/LegacySubPage2.asp?Page=LifeStory&PersonId=16291461

[/img]

Postby Guest » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:58 am

Just to let all the BMXers out there know that one of our BMX racers passed away on Monday. Tyler Topham died on Monday due to an anuerysm in his head. He will be laid to rest on Friday. There are donations be taken in his name to help kids who don't have money to buy a bike get one.

Contact Christine at 801-225-0323 for info on that.

Thanks Betty Larsen

Ashley

Tyler Topham

Postby Ashley » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:48 pm

Tyler.. I miss him soo much! From when I started racin till now Ive always looked up to him in BMX awlays. I remember him winnin the 2001 Redline Cup.. commin clear from dead last in one jump to 1st place and winning it!! That was a great moment.. :) Tyler has always been one of my favorite cousins to be with and hang around with. He taught me some stuff about BMX when I 1st started and I have never forgot them. When he raced he would fly.. Well TyTy.. I told you what im gonna do. And Now Im going to fly just like you. Im doin it for you.

I love you Ty

J Gallo
Web Guy

Postby J Gallo » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:14 pm

As a tribute, I used a picture I took at the races last weekend of a memory board with Tyler's jersey and put it up on the front page.

If it is in anyway innappropriate for any reason please let me know.

I am sincerely sorry for your loss, I wish I had a chance to know Tyler better :(
Gallo
"The ability to walk fully upright is overrated. Along with tying your own shoes."

Return to “UtahBMX”