Riders that we have lost.

Anything and everything about the Utah BMX scene.

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

bnd
Information Minister

Re: RIP Doug Dunford.

Postby bnd » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:46 pm

So sad to read that.
BTW, Scott Price is another O.S.er that at one point was one of the fastest AM's in the State & is a super, super nice guy. Seems like all those Utah County boys are great people.

b.
“Sometimes if you want to see a change for the better, you have to take things into your own hands.”

bnd
Information Minister

Terry McGinnis. You will be missed.

Postby bnd » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:42 pm

Even though Terry was a bigtime roadie, back in 00' & 01' he started racing BMX with his buddy Jeff Clawson. They both helped support Deseret Peak in the early days. Terry was a great guy who was very talented on anything with two wheels. He was on his way to his last win at Tooele indoors when in the lead, crashed & broke his collorbone. That was the end of his BMX racing days but I was fortunate to run into him off & on at various cycling events over the years. 46 years old.......way too young. :(

The Utah cycling community mourns Terry McGinnis, the executive director of the Tour of Utah
By Jared Eborn
Published: Oct. 24, 2009

Terry McGinnis at the 2009 Tour of Utah.
Photo: courtesy Cycling UtahUtah lost one of its biggest ambassadors for the sport of cycling Saturday when Terry McGinnis, the executive director of the Tour of Utah, passed away after a long battle with cancer.

McGinnis was 46.

"He was a fixture in the Utah cycling community," Burke Swindlehurst (Team Bissell), from Salt Lake City, said. "Everybody knew him and I don't think I've ever heard a disparaging word said about him. He was just a friend to cycling and a friend to every one."

McGinnis was also instrumental in turning the Tour of Utah into one of the biggest bicycle races in the country.

After the race was canceled in 2007 because of sponsorship problems, McGinnis was asked to take charge of the race. In doing so, the event has quickly become one of the most-anticipated races in the country.

"He was pretty much the savior of the Tour of Utah," Swindlehurst said. "To step in and resurrect the event even though he was going through what he was … it takes a special person to accept that challenge."

McGinnis, who leaves behind his wife, Cindy, and two children, was diagnosed with cancer about three years ago. At the time, former teammate and friend Dave Harward said, doctors told McGinnis he had only a matter of months to live.

Still, his competitive cycling life largely over, McGinnis jumped into the cycling scene as a coach and administrator — serving on the board of directors of the Utah Cycling Association.

More recently, McGinnis worked tirelessly to make the Tour of Utah a success.
In the advanced stages of cancer this August, McGinnis nonetheless was at the start, finish and all stages between.

Harward, who said he visited with McGinnis personally on Friday, said his love for the bicycle never faded.

"I was lucky enough to talk to him," Harward said. "He said 'I've been fighting this so long and I don’t think I've got much more.' It was pretty hard for all of us that have known him."

Few outside of his circle of friends understood his health concerns, especially just two months ago during the Tour of Utah.

"He was passionate about cycling and passionate until the very end," Swindlehurst said. "He had incredible amounts of will power and will be missed."

b.
“Sometimes if you want to see a change for the better, you have to take things into your own hands.”

Diesel
AA Pro Track Sweeper

Re: Terry McGinnis. You will be missed.

Postby Diesel » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:56 pm

Damn Bruce! I didn't know he was sick!

I first met Terry racing motocross in the early eighties. He was a top local guy back then and way fast on his YZs. I knew of him qualifing and racing several outdoor pro motocross races back in the day. I think he was sponsored by Plaza Cycle.

I was there the night he broke his collarbone at Tooele. First turn crash.

He was a great guy! What a shame!

Diesel
Man made Global Warming is a HOAX!
Al Gore and his boy's gonna take you to the cleaners while they get bank!
Stop Obamacare, Cap and Tax and Alien Amnesty!

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:11 pm

Your right Dan, he was a MX'er as was his brother Pat.
One thing that Terry said to me once & I'll never forget, after he crashed & broke his collorbone, myself & a bunch of other racers called him at home over the following week to see how he was doing. He told me he was blown away by the concern of the BMX crowd with all the calls because he had been in numourous crashes over the years on his road bike & never got the response like we all showed.
Iv'e got video of him, Jeff, Danita, Justin Pierce & a few others racing together at DP.

b.

PAPAWHEELY
Schwinn

Postby PAPAWHEELY » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:25 am

Wow, that really sucks.He was a great guy and quite a competitor. Whether BMX, crit or match racing down the Jordan River Trail.
I remember a race or two before he crashed,he road his road bike to Deseret Peak and had his dad haul his bmx bike so he could race. In the middle of winter!!

God Speed Terry

Matt

sparkoli2
Schwinn

Postby sparkoli2 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:15 pm

outstanding individual. promoted bicycling in utah like no other. he was always very good to the dope crew. FACE IT CANCER SUCKS. i fight the same fight everyday. wonder if your going to wake up wondering if today could be your last day. Best friend of life died last week. got to spend time with him for the last three months of his life. the look in their eyes of being scared hurts the most. to know you cant do anything but sit and watch. kills me. if there ever is a way to cure this god awful sickness i would give my life to know it would save people like terry from this crap. i wish his family the best and if there is ever anything me or static can do for them let me know. thank you Terry for always caring for others through your work at the mag and in your own time. your time and effort will never be forgotten and i am honored to have known you. thanks man dope style

sspencer
Factory Bikini Cuts Hotshoe

In memory of Bryan Oblad.

Postby sspencer » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:25 pm

Photo: Doug Johnson

Borrowing from a quote of Samuel Johnson, “It matters not how a man dies, but how he lives”. That being the case, it defines our beloved fallen BMX brother Bryan Oblad who passed on this Saturday, January 2nd, at the youthful age of 37 while doing what he and his family loves… racing BMX.

Bryan and his two daughters, Brooke and Breanna, along with his brother Mike and father Steve were a passionate and dedicated BMX family and were fixtures at all of the local races in Salt Lake. You could not miss Bryan at the track as he was always on one of his tricked out SE BMX bikes and sporting his trademark baby-blue and brown SE Racing jersey. Bryan has been a BMX enthusiast since the 1970’s and he took great pride in his collection of old-school and new school SE BMX bikes that he kept in mint condition. His favorite bike in his collection was baby-blue Floval Flyer with black Skyway mag wheels and it was fitting that it was his ride of choice in his last race around the Rad Canyon Indoor track.

A tough competitor on the track, Bryan was an always smiling and an obliging volunteer off the track by handing out trophy slips with his family at the finish line at most of the local races. The Oblad family was a team of their own in a sense that they were always together. Outside of racing Bryan also had the challenge of raising two girls which is a huge feat in itself. BMX was in the girls’ blood too and they were also earning a name for themselves as great racers as they were often seen out front of their respective classes. In fact Brooke, the eldest, has earned the title of the fastest female racer in the state by winning the last two girls Pro-Am races. Needless to say, Bryan was very proud of his girls’ accomplishments in racing and in life and the beautiful young ladies they have become.

Bryan was a great friend to many and had a profound impact on all he met and that was evident in the outpouring of support at the race the day following his passing. The BMX community came together as a family this day in the memory of Bryan in celebration of his life and his contributions. His two daughters told us they wanted to be where their Dad’s heart was on the day after losing him. In honor of their father and brother, Brooke, Breanna and Mike showed amazing composure in suiting up in baby blue and brown SE uniforms and taking a memorial lap with Bryan’s cherished SE bikes. Though it was a sad gathering it was also uplifting to feel the love, friendship and Bryan’s spirit that filled the arena. The event strengthened each other’s mutual bond and heightened their appreciation of how special our BMX community is.

A fundraiser for the family will be held at the next Rad Canyon Indoor race weekend of January 22nd-24th which will be sponsored by Ken Garff Nissan of Riverdale. Please watch for updates on http://www.utahbmx.com or http://www.radcanyonbmx.com and other supporting websites on details of the fundraiser and other opportunities to help the Oblad family during this difficult time.

Thank you and god bless the Oblad family… R.I.P. Bryan, you will be missed but never forgotten.
Spence'- dizzle fo'- shizzle
UTAH BMX Charter Member

justinsbmxmom
SE Floval Flyer

Re: In Loving Memory of Bryan Oblad & Family assistance

Postby justinsbmxmom » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:47 pm

I found this poem and it has brought me comfort. I want to share it with the Utah BMX family and everyone who knew Bryan. What a great example he was and the legacy he has left behind will live on forever in the hearts of all BMX riders. I love you Bryan and miss your sweet smile and the way you could always make me laugh. Rest in Peace!

You can shed tears that I am gone,
Or you can smile because I have lived.
You can close your eyes and pray that I will come back,
Or you can open your eyes and see all that I have left.
Your heart can be empty because you can’t see me,
Or you can be full of the love that we shared.
You can turn your back on tomorrow and live in yesterday,
Or you can be happy for tomorrow because of yesterday.
You can remember me and only that I am gone,
Or you can cherish my memory and let it live on.
You can cry and close your mind, be empty and turn your back.
Or you can do what I would want: smile, open your eyes, love and go on.
Jenni - SE Ridin' BMX Chic

mackdaddy
Resident Sushi Expert

Postby mackdaddy » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:06 pm

Funeral services for Bryan Oblad will be held Tuesday, January 12th at 12:00 pm at the LDS Church, 6567 S. Wakefield Way (6035 W.). A viewing will be held Monday Evening, January 11th from 6-8 PM at Redwood Memorial Mortuary, 6500 S. Redwood Road and again Tuesday, one hour prior to services at the church.
Jason Melton
Overland Group
jmelton@overlandcorp.com
http://www.jasonsellsslc.com
(801)860-9357

Ray Luscombe
NEXT

Postby Ray Luscombe » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:02 am

My thoughts and Prayers go to Bryan's Family. I first met Bryan at a Rock Springs race, I was drawn to his SE colors and his 29'er as well as his competitive nature. I watched as he dismantled my friends on a bike that seemed far too big to fit on the tiny indoor track. I had the pleasure of meeting and competing against him in Salt lake at the nationals, it was everything that I had expected...relentless. We continued that in Grand Junction but more importantly I had the opportunity to actually talk to Bryan. I got what all too many people have said already, Bryan is a very generous individual. I have had the pleasure of both talking as well as competing against an individual of which we could all benefit from emulating.

J Gallo
Web Guy

Postby J Gallo » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:53 pm

Check out what showed up for Bryan's funeral. All I can say is.... WOW.

Gallo
"The ability to walk fully upright is overrated. Along with tying your own shoes."

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:21 pm

I came upon these pics of Bryan today at the Davis County indoor from last year. I'm not sure if these have been posted but I thought I would share anyways. If I come across any more, I'll post those up.

b.

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:09 pm

I came across this photo Kevin Sleater sent to me last Jan. It's *I think* a year ends award ceremony that Mike is in. He's the little dude on the far right. Dave Park is in the front as well. 1981-82?

b.

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:08 pm

It's been 1 year since Brian left us, gone but definatly not forgotten.

b.

bnd
Information Minister

John Kovachi, BMX legend passes away.

Postby bnd » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:34 pm

Truly a sad day in the BMX world.
For those who don't know him he is considered one of the best wheel builders the sport has ever known. Has his own team, many a future superstar was sponsored by him on their way to the top.
Take a look at the out pouring of love here..........

http://www.vintagebmx.com/community/index.php?showtopic=27058211

.......to get a taste of what he meant to so many people.

b.
Proud owner of 2 Kovachi wheelsets.

Return to “UtahBMX”