The 2018 C.O.G 36+ Open Wheels Challenge.

Anything and everything about the Utah BMX scene.

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

bnd
Information Minister

The 2018 C.O.G 36+ Open Wheels Challenge.

Postby bnd » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:20 pm

Utah BMX.com is proud to present a great summer race series @ Legacy BMX Raceway.

"The C.O.G. (Crazy Old Guys) 36+ Open Wheels Challenge"

- 6 race series,
June 23rd.
July 7th, 21st, 28th.
August 11th, 25th (series final).

- $500 dollar prize money up for grabs!

- FREE ENTRY to Open w/ class/cruiser entry for the night.

Rules -
- Best 3 finishes and rider count points will determine finishes.
It's summer time and people have plans, so that's why I'm going with a best of 3 finishes. I will do my best to keep track of entries & finshes for each night & Doc Alvey is helping me with this but I need every racer to keep track of their finishes & rider counts at every event in case we miss something.

- Flat pedal rule - I'm giving some love to the flats crowd. If you RUN flats for the night, in your motos & make your main, you will be awarded DOUBLE finishing points. No double rider points.

- Females making the main will be awarded TRIPLE finishing points.

- Points will go along the lines with USA BMX's expert/cruiser points table. 1st place - 100 points, 2nd place - 80 points, 3rd place - 60 points, 4th place - 50 points, 5th place - 40 points, 6th place - 30 points, 7th place - 20 points, 8th place - 10 points.

- 20", 24" & mt. bikes are allowed.

- You have to be 36 years of age. I reserve the right to make a promoters exception.

Please feel free to share this on your Social Media & word of mouth. This site will be the main source of updates and news as some of us are not on Social Media.
Anybody that would like to contribute to the series in any form, $$$, prizes, anything, feel free to, I would greatly appreciate it.
Yes, this is only going to ran at Legacy. Why? It works with my family schedule that's why, no changing location so please don't ask.

Any questions?
Feel free to text me @ 801-879-8572.

Thanks,
b.
“Sometimes if you want to see a change for the better, you have to take things into your own hands.”

dylmunchy
Schwinn

Re: The C.O.G 36+ Open Wheels Challenge.

Postby dylmunchy » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:46 pm

This is an awesome setup for the C.O.G's! Bad Ass Mr. Ritter :mrgreen:
They say there's more to life than a BMX bike....

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:52 pm

Race #1 in the 36+ Open Wheels Summer Series starts this Saturday.

b.
“Sometimes if you want to see a change for the better, you have to take things into your own hands.”

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:11 am

To clarify a points rule, every rider who signs up for the night will get at least their rider points even if they do not make the main.
So if a rider has a mechanical or crashes, they will still walk away with some points.

Thanks,
b.

dylmunchy
Schwinn

Postby dylmunchy » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:48 pm

Someone get video? I Wont be able to make it. Purpose/work requires me...
Last edited by dylmunchy on Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
They say there's more to life than a BMX bike....

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:09 am

Race #1 results -

11 riders.

1. Dave Park.- (flats)
2. Doug Cheney. - (flats)
3. Justin Alvey. - (flats)
4. Bruce Ritter. - (flats)
5. Miguel Alex Duarte. - (clips)
6. Kevin Tulin. - (flats)
7. Brian Holliday. - (clips)
8. Greg Baumgart. - (clips)

DNQ-
Travis White.
Janna Staples.
Danita Ritter.

Points after Race #1.
1. Dave Park.- (flats) - 100 x 2 + 11 = 211 pts.
2. Doug Cheney. - (flats) - 80 x 2 + 11 = 171 pts.
3. Justin Alvey. - (flats) - 60 x 2 + 11 = 131 pts.
4. Bruce Ritter. - (flats) - 50 x 2 + 11 = 111 pts.
5, Kevin Tulin. - (flats) - 30 x 2 + 11 = 71 pts.
6. Miguel Alex Duarte. - (clips) - 40 + 11 = 51 pts.
7. Brian Holliday. - (clips) - 20 + 11 = 31 pts.
8. Greg Baumgart. - (clips) - 10 +11 = 21 pts.
9. Janna Staples - DNQ = 11 pts.
9. Travis White - DNQ = 11 pts.
9. Danita Ritter - DNQ = 11 pts.

Good turnout for the first race & I was surprised on how many decided to show up on flat pedals. Taking advantage of the double points seems to be a great strategy. The flat pedals really leveled out the playing field and the motos & main was tight! Great side by side action all night & there were smiles & hi-fives all night long. Dave Park got it done in the main with the holeshot with a LOT of action on his heels. With his win, I dug deep in the box O' stuff in the Ritter shed and he earned himself a little prize. I'll try to find something "interesting" to give out to every main event winner in the Series.
A few notes,
I'd like to thank Legacy BMX Raceway for getting behind this event, next race is on July 7th, you must be 36 years old to enter this race or damn close to it & more sponsors are coming in, we might be close to surpassing 1k in prize money & I'm working on a killer overall champions trophy to be won.
Who says BMX ain't fun anymore!

b.

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:51 pm

Race #2 results -

10 riders.

1. Todd Parry. - (flats) = 100 x 2 + 10 = 210 pts.
2. Dave Park. - (flats) = 80 x 2 + 10 = 170 pts.
3. Justin Alvey. - (flats) = 60 x 2 + 10 = 130 pts.
4. Doug Cheney. (flats) = 50 x 2 + 10 = 110 pts.
5. Bruce Ritter. - (flats) = 40 x 2 + 10 = 90 pts.
6. Kevin Tulin. - (flats) = 30 x 2 + 10 = 70 pts.
7. Tim Thompson. - (flats) = 20 x 2 + 10 = 50 pts.
8.. Mark Perkins. - (flats) = 10 x 2 + 10 = 30 pts.

DNQ -
Travis White. DNQ = 10 pts.
Dylan Collings. DNQ = 10 pts.

Overall Points after Race #2.

1. Dave Park - 381.
2. Doug Cheney - 281.
3. Justin Alvey - 261.
4. Todd Parry - 210.
5. Bruce Ritter - 201.
6. Kevin Tulin - 141.
7. Miguel Alex Duarte - 51.
8. Tim Thompson - 50.
9. Brian Holliday - 31.
10. Mark Perkins - 30.
11. Greg Baumgart - 21.
11. Travis White - 21.
12. Danita Ritter - 11.
12. Janna Staples = 11.
13. Dylan Collings = 10.

Nice to see some new faces last night, I have a feeling that next race, July 21st might start pulling everybody off the fence and going for it. It was great seeing Timmy Thompson & Dylan Collings back on the track. I think we would only need 6 more riders to enter to make semis? Let's try to make that happen! The ping-pong lane selector was fun until you get jammed by the guy holding the "X" ball and wants your lane in the main, basically sending you from lane 2 to lane 8, lol.
To my surprise, this event has turned into a No-Clips series, at least for the first few races. I think guys are wanting to get in some good points before the last 3 races. You can run either type of pedals but you have to stick with one or the other come first moto of the night. Iv'e raised enough money as of right now that I'm sure I can pay out to at least 8th in the final standings. What that will be, I don't know but it will be something.
Todd Parry surprised a few of us changing out to flats at the last second, he looked ripe to get beat, seeing he hasn't rode flats in like almost 20 years yet he was still able to hold off the pack for the win. The mystery prize he won was one of the most over-rated albums by one of the most over-rated bands of all-time. I was more than happy to pull that from my pile o' stuff and give it away.

Next race, #3, is in 2 weeks, July 21st, spread the word!
Big thanks to Legacy BMX Raceway for allowing us to hold our event there.

b.

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:41 am

Race #3 results -

13 riders.

1. Todd Parry. - (flats) = 100 x 2 + 13 = 213 pts.
2. Jared Mitchell. - (flats) = 80 x 2 + 13 = 173 pts.
3. Doug Cheney. - (clips) = 60 x 2 + 13 = 73 pts.
4. Justin Alvey. - (flats) = 50 x 2 + 13 = 113 pts.
5. Dave Park. - (flats) = 40 x 2 + 13 = 93 pts.
6. Thomas Howell. - No Points*.
7. Tim Thompson. - (flats) = 20 x 2 + 13 = 53.
8. Cody Robbins. (clips) = 10 x 13 = 23.

DNQ -
Danita Ritter. DNQ - 13 pts.
Chris Clift. DNQ - 13 pts.
Steve Olson. DNQ - 13 pts.
Dylan Collings. DNQ - 13 pts.
Bruce Ritter. DNQ - 13 pts.

* Zero points due to racing out of class, got to be 36 years old!

Updated total series points will be posted tonight.
Great night of racing again, new faces coming out to go for it, Clift, Mitchell, Robbins, Olson, thanks for showing up.
Getting out of the motos was TOUGH & it just goes to show how deep the talent is in Utah with the older guys.

The main was awesome with Cheney getting a great gate & giving Parry all he could handle to the first corner. If it wasn't for one of the best gates I have ever witnessed from Todd getting from gate 8, it would of really been a dog fight in the 1st corner.
Todd won a one-off, custom made Steve Spencer Edition number plate w/ the top 6 excuses of why he doesn't race anymore.

Since the series is officially at the halfway point & here on out every race matters, I HAVE to enforce the " 36 years of age & older rule". If the age keeps creeping down to 32 year olds, what's next, 29? Danny Patterson? Sorry but no. It's not fair to the older guys upwards of 20+ years & older PLUS there's money on the line. The only reason it says "31 & over local open" on the moto sheet is because that's how moto maker prints it out.
Thanks for understanding.

See you next week, July 28th, Race # 4.

b.

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:26 pm

OK sports fans, this is where things start to heat up in the Summer Series. Race #4 is July 28th.

If you have not raced yet & want a shot at some cold, hard cash, you need to get out and hit up the final 3 races as your top-3 finishes count towards your final ranking.
4 more racers & we could possibly see some semis so come on out, you know who you are!

Next race I will have mystery prize but this time I will be picking one of the main makers randomly and they will get it.

Total points rankings after Race #3 will be posted up soon, stay tuned.

b.

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:00 pm

Overall points after Race # 3. -

1. Dave Park. - 474 pts.
2. Todd Parry - 423 pts.
3. Doc Alvey. - 374 pts.
4. Doug Cheney. - 354 pts.
5. Bruce Ritter. - 214 pts.
6. Jared Mitchell. - 173 pts.
7. Kevin Tulin. - 141 pts.
8. Tim Thompson. - 103 pts.

9. Alex Duarte. - 51 pts.
10. Holliday. - 31 pts.
11. Perkins. - 30 pts.
12. Collings. - 23 pts.
13. Baumgart. - 21 pts.
14. White. - 21 pts.
15. Clift. - 13 pts.
16. Olson. - 13 pts.
17. D. Ritter. - 11 pts.
18. Janna Staples. - 11 pts.

Remember, the series keeps track of a racers best 3 finishes.

Also, I have to re-post this in case you missed it the first time -
Since the series is officially at the halfway point & here on out every race matters, I HAVE to enforce the " 36 years of age & older rule". If the age keeps creeping down to 32 year olds, what's next, 29? Danny Patterson? Sorry but no. It's not fair to the older guys upwards of 20+ years & older PLUS there's money on the line. The only reason it says "31 & over local open" on the moto sheet is because that's how moto maker prints it out.
Thanks for understanding.

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:29 am

Race # 4 Results -

10 riders.

1. Todd Parry. - (flats) = 100 x 2 + 10 = 210 pts.
2. Jared Mitchell. - (flats) = 80 x 2 + 10 = 170 pts.
3. Dave Park. - (flats) = 60 x 2 + 10 = 130 pts.
4. Timmy Thompson. - (flats) = 50 x 2 + 10 = 110 pts.
5. Bruce Ritter. - (flats) = 40 x 2 + 10 = 90 pts.
6. Greg Baumgart. - (clips) = 30 + 10 = 40 pts.
7. Doc Alvey. - (flats) = 20 x 2 + 10 = 50 pts.
8. Doug Cheney. (flats) = 10 x 2 + 10 = 30 pts.

DNQ -
Danny Grube. DNQ - 10 pts.
Kevin Tulin. DNQ - 10 pts.

Another great night of racing in the Crazy Old Guy Summer Series.
The main went down with a lot of bar banging right out of the gate with at least 4 guys getting out strong. Good moves in the first corner with Parry coming out with the lead. Jared Mitchell, this guy has some GREAT track speed and was right one T.P.'s ass going into the last corner. Looking at the video, he high-lows Todd and looks to be pulling him and loses out by a knobby or two. Tim Thompson is really looking like his old self after a few races, great gates & skills, nice work. Alvey got a great gate also.
I mixed it up for the mystery prize and awarded whoever got 6th in the main got it. Greg Baumgart scored a 12-pak of Top Ramen Noodles that I pulled out of my bomb shelter under my shed.

Updated overall points will be posted soon.

Next race is August 11th.

b.

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:13 pm

Overall points after Race # 4.

1. Todd Parry. - 633 pts.
2. Dave Park. - 511 pts.
3. Doc Alvey. - 374 pts.
4. Doug Cheney. - 354 pts.
5. Jared Mitchell. - 343 pts.
6. Bruce Ritter. - 291 pts.
7. Tim Thompson. - 213 pts.
8. Kevin Tulin. - 151 pts.

Here's the top 8 but that can change & probably will after next race. We made a spread sheet that keeps track of each riders top-3 race finishes and that's what's posted.
Todd Parry has a stranglehold on the overall, Dave Park would have to win the last 2 remaining races and hope the rider count is a bit higher. There's still a lot to race for though, Mitchell has had 2 solid races and could contend for a top 3 overall finish. Prize money will be passed on to 8th place so you riders on the outside of the top 8 still have a chance to win.

Doc Alvey, Doug Cheney & Travis White will be running the 36+ show for Race #5 as I will be in Wyoming on vacation.

b.

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:40 pm

Race # 5 Results -

6 riders.

1. Justin Alvey - (flats) = 100 x 2 + 6 = 206 pts.
2. Doug Cheney - (flats) = 80 x 2 + 6 = 166 pts.
3. Kevin Tulin - (flats) = 60 x 2 + 6 = 126 pts.
4. Travis White - (flats) = 50 x 2 + 6 = 106 pts.
5. Jared Mitchell - (flats) = 40 x 2 + 6 = 86 pts.
6. Todd Parry - (flats) = 30 x 2 + 6 = 66 pts.

Well, it was the smallest turnout for the series but it wasn't lacking any action or drama. Watching the video & breaking it down, it looks like T.P. had to rail the 1st turn hard & up high to get the lead coming out of it. It appears the dirt monster came up and grabbed his front tire in the last corner and took him down & Mitchell got caught up in the yard sale. Doc Alvey gets the big win with Cheney & Tulin (congrats!) finishing out the podium.
Overall points will be updated soon.
FYI, I have some things I want to share leading up to the final C.O.G. race that will hopefully make this series go out with a bang, stay tuned.

Next weekend is the Davis Country Fair & the BIg Pro-Am event. Not only is this going to be the biggest race of the year up at Legacy, it's going to put BMX racing front & center of big crowds. For those who have never experienced a Fair race, they are an absolute blast. They used to have races during the Utah State Fair in the 80's & then we had a run in the 00's with the Salt Lake County Fair, very good times! I would imagine parking is going to be a you-know-what so if your going to race, arrive early.

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:26 pm

Overall points after Race # 5.

1. Todd Parry. - 633 pts.
2. Dave Park. - 511 pts.
3. Doc Alvey. - 467 pts.
4. Doug Cheney. - 447 pts.
5. Jared Mitchell. - 427 pts.
6. Bruce Ritter. - 291 pts.
7. Kevin Tulin. - 267 pts.
8. Tim Thompson. - 213 pts.

9. Travis White. - 127 pts.
10. Alex Duarte. - 51 pts.
11. Holliday. - 31 pts.
12. Perkins. - 30 pts.
13. Collings. - 23 pts.
14. Robbins. 23 pts.
15. Baumgart. - 21 pts.
16. Clift. - 13 pts.
17. Olson. - 13 pts.
18. D. Ritter. - 11 pts.
19. Janna Staples. - 11 pts.
20. Danny Grube. - 10 pts.

b.

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:16 pm

Hello sports fans, here we are looking at the C.O.G. 36+ Open series final this upcoming Saturday night.
I will be having updates all week leading to the race, stay tuned.

First up, anybody that has committed, promised, sort of promised, thought about it, heard rumors, ect…… about donating to the Series, PLEASE contact me ASAP with a confirmation that yes, "whatever" is getting flowed. I want to get that nailed down before Friday. Just text me & let me know.

BTW, I want to run a multi-main system for the final, whether it's a 2 or 3 main total points system, I don't care but Iv'e never been a "one lap-no crap" fan. If you have thoughts on that, please share.

More to come, thanks.
b.

Return to “UtahBMX”