The 2018 C.O.G 36+ Open Wheels Challenge.

Anything and everything about the Utah BMX scene.

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

bnd
Information Minister

Re: The C.O.G 36+ Open Wheels Challenge.

Postby bnd » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:01 pm

Payouts tonight goes like this,
Overall Series standings.
1. $200.00
2. $160.00
3. $140.00
4. $120.00
5. $80.00
6. $60.00
7. $40.00

So I'm not paying myself for the final standings, I'm taking that money and dispersing it thruout the winnings. So 7th place is actully 8th place winnings.
Good luck tonight!

b.
“Sometimes if you want to see a change for the better, you have to take things into your own hands.”

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:13 am

Race # 6 Results -

8 riders.

Main #1.
1. Jared Mitchell.
2. Todd Parry.
3. Doc Alvey.
4. Doug Cheney.
5. Kevin Tulin.
6. Travis White.
7. Dave Park.
8. Bruce Ritter.

Main #2.
1. Todd Parry.
2. Jared Mitchell.
3. Doc Alvey.
4. Doug Cheney.
5. Dave Park.
6. Bruce Ritter.
7. Kevin Tulin.
8. Travis White.

Overall -
1. Todd Parry.
2. Jared Mitchell.
3. Doc Alvey.
4. Doug Cheney.
5. Dave Park.
6. Kevin Tulin.
7. Bruce Ritter
8. Travis White.

FULL race & series report coming with a ton of pictures, video & thoughts coming later today, stay tuned.
“Sometimes if you want to see a change for the better, you have to take things into your own hands.”

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:31 pm

The 36+ Open Summer Series is a wrap!

1st up, I have to thank Legacy BMX Raceway for allowing me to host this series at their track. They waved the entry fee for the open & did everything in their power to accommodate us. The new track operators, Lara, Kevin, Ryan & the father (gate starter) are wonderful people & worked their butts off making every race the best it could be, thank you!

Iv'e got to thank Doug Cheney & Doc Alvey for helping me out on this & being un-official track assistants. I saw Cheney getting there early, working on the track until he was filthy dirty. Alvey helped out with practices & advice when it was needed. I think both of these guys were the only ones to race all 6 races in the series too.

Thanks go out to our sponsors, Travis White, owner of a new Harley, lead singer & driver of the Winnebago. Jason Melton w/ Remax Overland, took a lot of $HIT for not racing the series but he still kicked down some bucks to support the cause. Thanks guys!

Looking ahead, I'll check into a Winter series & decide if it's doable.

A few thoughts,
- It was really cool seeing the series turn into a no-clips thing. It wasn't my intention but racers quickly figured out how valuable double points were in the mains.
- Getting back on platforms was super refreshing & the whole feel of racing changed. More actual side by side racing was had & seen. racers weren't so concerned about corner speed & follow the leader racing disappeared for the most part.
- T.P. said something to me that stuck, he thought racing on this type of track, loose corners, uneven jumps, old schoolish was harder than riding new school, paved super tracks. I think there is something to that.
- I was able to get to know some racers a little better with the casual atmosphere on race nights. Jared Mitchell & Kevin Tulin were just 2 of the guys I talked to & got to know a little better. I thought Tulin was the most improved rider also throughout the series.
- With me being a moto filler, I witnessed some amazing racing at the front & some berm warfare & haven't seen or been apart of in decades. So fun!
- We had a total of 20 riders show up for this series.

We are taking a little break from racing for the next month or less, vacations, Cyclocross(!) & other things are getting in the way so I will see you when I see you.

Return to “UtahBMX”