2020 Legacy BMX Raceway rebuild.

Anything and everything about the Utah BMX scene.

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

bnd
Information Minister

2020 Legacy BMX Raceway rebuild.

Postby bnd » Fri May 22, 2020 2:26 pm

It’s been a longtime coming, the track is getting a new rebuild this weekend.
440 years of combined bmx experience is going into this one & we are taking a few steps or more back, to the days before rhythm sections and pump tracks.

The track layout/footprint is basically the same but with taking a page out of the Rock Springs track building handbook, it’s going to be fast, flowy & jumpable for any 12i or 50+ racer.
Remember the glory days of pedaling your ass off before you even saw a jump? How about worrying more about the guys next to you than the white knuckle obstacle coming up right after you got done getting over the same thing?

Yeah, that’s what I’m talking about.

It seems like nobody has had the guts to get back to our roots but the new leadership at Legacy does. Speaking of which, next week I’ll be dropping the news formally of the Board members & our new TO.

It’s going to be an amazing Summer/Fall, can’t wait!

b.
“Sometimes if you want to see a change for the better, you have to take things into your own hands.”

bnd
Information Minister

Re: 2020 Legacy BMX Raceway rebuild.

Postby bnd » Sat May 23, 2020 9:07 pm

Saturday -

A little recap of the days events, it was nice & dry when I left my house at 7:15am this morning but by the time I hit North SLC it started raining & by the time I hit Legacy, it was raining hard & the track looked like a swamp. Fortunately I had my irrigation boots with me & they paid for themselves many times over. As the morning progressed,
I was really stressing on how tore up the track was getting from the loader. Jeremy the operator assured me not to worry but all I could see were 2ft' deep trenches everywhere & I mean everywhere. We just kept pressing on while I my son fired up our new weed whacker, which BTW I have to do a quick endorsement for anything made by EGO, battery powered equipment. Even with wet weeds, this thing tore the hell out of them, 2 thumbs up. As the morning went, Brandon Smith showed up & dropped off a nice 4-wheeler & a can of fuel. The 4-wheeler got put to use right off the bat & we "tried" to drag the track somewhat but the top layer was still pretty soft. Later in the day, we ended up using it a lot as the tracks old 4-wheeler has issues & needs work. A few of the board members showed up around 3pm & everybody agreed they liked what they saw for now so that made my stress level come back down to Earth. We decided to call it quits around 7pm & I got home around 8pm. Yes, A nice 12 hr day!
Tomorrow should be a lot nicer & the game plan is to work as a team & knock out 1 obstacle at a time. Depending on the help over the next 7 days, we feel like things will be just fine going into next Saturday. Some of us will be there at 10am, if your not the skilled shovel type, there are plenty of piles of weeds we cut & need to be loaded up & taken to the dumpster. Weed wackers, square mouth shovels, regular shovels, metal rakes are encouraged. The soil still might be sloppy in places so boots or irrigation boots are a good thing. Thanks for reading.

b.
“Sometimes if you want to see a change for the better, you have to take things into your own hands.”

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Mon May 25, 2020 7:20 am

Sunday -
Things are coming along. I will be out there at 10 am. Monday morning.
Props to the new families that are new to Bmx that showed up and pulled weeds for hours on end, the facility looks GREAT!!
I met some very nice people today. At the end of the day we got the first and most of the 2 straight done. The 3rd and 4th straight are pretty rough so it’s going to be hard work. Check back here for updates. We might have a line on some more equipment, so please stay tuned.

Thanks.
b.

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Mon May 25, 2020 7:20 am

Monday -

Legacy BMX Monday morning update.
First up, I'd like to thank in no particular order, Todd & Gage Jex, Chris & Krista Cook, Brad & Rochelle Farnsworth. They showed up yesterday & spent hours dealing with the weeds. I don't know how many truck loads there were but there was quite a few. Thank you!
So the weeds & other little things have basically been dealt with, what's left is more heavy equipment work, dragging & shaping. We don't want anybody on the track while the big loader is operating. I would say that if your skilled at using a shovel & shaping a jump, done it before, then show up later in the day around noon - 1pm.
Check with Doug, Justin or Zach.
Thanks!

b.

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Mon May 25, 2020 5:30 pm

Monday afternoon update -

Ain’t gonna lie people, I’m beat. I’ve personally put in 29 man hrs in 3 days at the track. Doug, Doc & Zach have put in a ton of time too. They are still out there. I want to give a big thank you to a family that showed up wanting to help but I had to turn them away, Aaron Grandoff(?) w/ wife & kids. If your reading this, thank you for showing up! Some curious locals would show up every now and then & we would stop and welcome them, tell them what’s coming, please spread the word & come back in a week. I got to do something I’ve always wanted to try, running a big front loader, first thing this morning with nobody around to run over & some guidance from Beau Mahaffey, I became somewhat ok at it. Like he said, “it ain’t rocket science!” I was able to run it for about 5 hrs and it was an absolute hoot! I also think I would make a great NASCAR driver because I took about 1000 laps pulling the drag behind Brandon Smiths 4-wheeler. Seriously, we would of been totally screwed without his 4-wheeler as Legacy’s has officially died. Thank you! We will be working on the track all week, look for updates at Legacy Raceway BMX FB page for daily updates.

b.

dylmunchy
Schwinn

Postby dylmunchy » Wed May 27, 2020 1:19 am

Pedal, pedal, pedal all the groms.... take some pics please, sounds like a killer track man!
They say there's more to life than a BMX bike....

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Wed May 27, 2020 7:53 pm

There's a bunch of vids on my FB page, I know your not on there but make an undercover account just so you can surf onto it. This site doesn't host pics or vids. One of these days it might but not anytime soon.

Hope all is well. Been to a track since you moved?

b.

dylmunchy
Schwinn

Postby dylmunchy » Wed May 27, 2020 10:37 pm

We have been exploring and drove to Desoto and Cowtown to check them out. They both look awesome. Will be hitting some races as soon as we can. I will check the utahbmx FB through my wife's profile if I cant figure out how to create an undercover acct. The heat and the rain are REAL here man....oh boy. Miss yall
They say there's more to life than a BMX bike....

Return to “UtahBMX”