no, I have not just disappeared from the face of the earth

Anything and everything about the Utah BMX scene.

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

greg
2004 36-40 Cruiser State Champ

no, I have not just disappeared from the face of the earth

Postby greg » Thu May 27, 2004 2:06 pm

I just recieved a message from Diana, and realized that I probably look like I'm just a bunch of talk and no action. So, I wanted to confirm to one and all that I have not given up on my ideas, and they are still in the works. I am in the process of getting the prizes needed for the drawings, and formulating the plans for mentors and advertising for new members. I probably will end up spending a bit of my own money this year to get the ball rolling, especially in advertising, so it will take a few weeks to actually see something happen. Just be patient, and I promise you will see things start to pop up here and there, and maybe everywhere.

One of the things that I will be doing as I place posters, banners, flyers, etc around, will be to have myself as a contact for information. I plan to get together a packet that contains such things as:

some history of BMX
basic bike and safety requirements
maybe some pictures of local riders and races
ABA sign up form
maps and addresses to local tracks
web page info for various sites
and whatever else I can think of that might help convince new riders to sign up

I kind of have mixed feelings about this, as I hope that I get deluged with calls, but on the other hand, I hope I don't get too many to handle properly.

Anyway, as soon as I get things a little bit further along, I will show all of you what I am up to.

greg
Greg "how long does it take you to crash" prawitt

J Gallo
Web Guy

Postby J Gallo » Thu May 27, 2004 2:15 pm

Greg,

if you need any help with a printer for anything, I have a good hook up in that dept. Just let me know what you need. I was already thinking about doing up some UtahBMX.com banners to place at each of the tracks, but I'm still in the process of designing a final logo.

If you need me to do anything special with this website to work with your plans, just let me know and I'll get it done. Also, if you want an @utahbmx.com email address to use, I can set you up with that too.
Gallo
"The ability to walk fully upright is overrated. Along with tying your own shoes."

greg

Postby greg » Thu May 27, 2004 2:35 pm

Thanks jason, I'll let you know about the printer.

As far as an email address, I think that would be great. It would certainly help to have multiple ways for people to contact me.

Let me know what you need to set up an account.

J Gallo
Web Guy

Postby J Gallo » Thu May 27, 2004 2:37 pm

All I need is the username you would like, and I'll get it set up. :D

Just private message me and I'll send you back all the details.
Gallo
"The ability to walk fully upright is overrated. Along with tying your own shoes."

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Thu May 27, 2004 3:05 pm

Greg,
Props to you for getting involved in promoting the sport. "If you want something done, do it yourself", Iv'e always believed in that statement. That's why things are getting down in a BIG, big way this year with the local scene.
-The Hardys & myself getting involved with Deseret Peak.
-Lurker Mike Kelly taking Ogden under his wing.
-Mackdaddy stepping it up last winter at RC indoors.
-T.P. & the Healeys getting Logan up & running again last winter.
-Jason Gallo breathing new life back into UtahBMX.com.
-Jason Halverson willing to sponsor a local series with bigtime prizes.
& other volunteers who help out when they can.

This is just the beginning, can you imagine if more people who cared, got involved in their own way promoting the local scene, how BIG it could get?

When I started racing back in the old Salt Lake fairgrounds building indoors in late 1982, Friday & Saturday racing pulled around 100 moto's....that's for single-point racing!!! Ask Mackdaddy, T.P., Ian, Roland Critchfield, it was great. Now I'm not saying those days will ever come back but I think the local scene is about as strong as it's been in a very, very long time & just getting better.

It would be nice to see someone who races & lives down in the Provo area to lend their hand in getting that track up & kicking ass again. Steve Spencer? Airille Martin? Todd Parry?

b.

greg

Postby greg » Thu May 27, 2004 3:24 pm

hey, I was part of those early 80's moto counts!! I remember full well at the colosium waiting in line inside the tunel leading to the gate.

man, I had a blast on that concrete!! I had the indoor track tires by tioga, smeared with all kinds of stuff to help make them sticky. lol

could simply bunny hop all of the jumps except the tabletop. I can still picture the exact layout of the track (not that it was too complicated). I have pics somewhere of a few races.

back to topic.........I totally agree b, we need involvement from everyone. I for one am very excited about the direction the local scene seems to be going. Keep up the great work, and I'll do what I can to help.

Greg

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Thu May 27, 2004 3:49 pm

The Salt Lake fairgrounds colusium, 1983.

left to right #23 is Dave Young, his parents helped run the track. #1013 is non other than Dave Hoffman who is now racing again. #1039 is Andrew Ritter, who is my younger brother. #870 is Paul Beasly. The is the 16 intermediate class I believe. Ive got a bunch of pic's like this in my collection as does Roland & Kevin Slater.

39-16 gearing & street tires!

b.

justinsbmxmom
SE Floval Flyer

Postby justinsbmxmom » Thu May 27, 2004 3:51 pm

I'm also willing to help in any way I can.
Last edited by justinsbmxmom on Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jenni - SE Ridin' BMX Chic

J Gallo
Web Guy

Postby J Gallo » Thu May 27, 2004 3:56 pm

hey b,

is that the 1983 version of a vert ramp to the left with Rick's Bike's on it? :wink:

That is a great pic, love those Old School shots!
Gallo

greg

Postby greg » Thu May 27, 2004 4:22 pm

great pic bruce. This is probably the year i stopped racing (I know....how could I!!). I probably hit a few races in 83, but not many.

senior in high school, girls, cars, joined the Air Force and was getting ready to go...........just too many things to keep my mind off of BMX.

But, I'm back now and really never lost the love.

Thanks Jenni for the offer. Are you sure you can do things like that and not get in trouble? If you really think it is OK to do, I'll get with you later on. I want to get everything drawn up and compiled, then I will be ready for copying, etc.

justinsbmxmom
SE Floval Flyer

Postby justinsbmxmom » Thu May 27, 2004 4:35 pm

Greg, I'll do all I can.
Last edited by justinsbmxmom on Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

J Gallo
Web Guy

Postby J Gallo » Thu May 27, 2004 4:40 pm

So Jenni, would you say your job is similar to the SNL sketch "Rich the Copy Guy" that Rob Schneider does?

Jen-o-ramaaaaaa... makin' copies...... :lol:
Gallo

justinsbmxmom
SE Floval Flyer

Postby justinsbmxmom » Thu May 27, 2004 4:56 pm

I do more than just copies but I'm making more than I was at the post office. I'm the copy girl. I can't tell you what they do at Merit but I sure can make a DAMN good copy for you! Ever see the movie Office Space? The guy that ends up in the basement, there is a guy here just like him. He gets moved every week but at least he has a job. :roll:

Jason Stout

Oh, the good ol days!

Postby Jason Stout » Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:33 pm

Bruce,

What a great pic! I have a couple of shots of Ian E.and I racing our 6 or 7X class back when. I also have a couple of top 50 shots on that starting gate.

Rossin....that was the sticky stuff you put on your tires for those corners. (My only broken bone in BMX was in that first corner... Thumb was run over after I washed out...'83)

Ok you guys...this is starting to sound serious! With this kind of collaborated effort and so many people wanting to work at it, the Utah scene is in good hands. Keep up the enthusiasm and teamwork. It is sure nice to have cooperation from the involved parties making productive plans for racing here! Rock on!

JS

Return to “UtahBMX”