What is your worst BMX injury?

Anything and everything about the Utah BMX scene.

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

Jason Stout

What is your worst BMX injury?

Postby Jason Stout » Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:44 pm

Ok guys...here it is. The time to tell the story about going to the hospital in the meat wagon while thinking you are batman....

Let's hear all about your worst BMX wreck or injury...Ready go.

okay, I'll start...

Once at the indoor races at the track b. posted a pic of at the fairgrounds back in 82, I was racing a qualifier and was out front. Some crazy person was walking across that huge wooden table top (okay, it was huge to me, I was young!) and I didn't want to run him over so I launched off it sideways right into the cement wall of the stadium, full speed.

I luckily walked away shaken up, but not hurt.

Your turn....

mackdaddy
Resident Sushi Expert

Postby mackdaddy » Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:20 am

This last one would have to be my worst one since I did have to have surgeryon my collarbone.
Jason
Jason Melton
Overland Group
jmelton@overlandcorp.com
http://www.jasonsellsslc.com
(801)860-9357

justinsbmxmom
SE Floval Flyer

Postby justinsbmxmom » Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:27 am

Valentine's Day, spent my night at the hospital with a mild concussion and wounded wrist. I'm hoping that will be the worst but I haven't been racing very long. I've learned that just because you run into someone, doesn't mean they're going to get hurt. You're just as likely to fall too.
Jenni - SE Ridin' BMX Chic

J Gallo
Web Guy

Postby J Gallo » Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:39 am

Fortunately, both my "injuries" have been minor. Injured right thumb last year, took a few months to heal. Injured left thumb this year, took a month off from riding to try and heal up. I can ride now (with a little pain), but I still can't use it to unclip my chest protector, have to use the right hand.

Of course, I'm always hurt when I don't win, but that's a competitive thing that will never heal :wink:
Gallo
"The ability to walk fully upright is overrated. Along with tying your own shoes."

rythum time
Schwinn

Postby rythum time » Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:03 am

Broke my wrist on the last day of Rad Canyon last year... spent 13 weeks in a cast... the funny thing was I was hardly moving going into the first turn, I looked back to see where Jake was and tipped over. :cry: :x :oops:

Rick

J Gallo
Web Guy

Postby J Gallo » Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:07 am

See Rick, that will teach you not to look back to pimp your son in the turn :) :lol:

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Wed Jun 02, 2004 2:32 pm

The last race @ Rad Canyon in 98', I hadn't raced in a month & my wife was racing so I went out to watch. I ended up racing her cruiser & what a mistake that was. I got the holeshot in the main but front-end cased the big dub's going into the first turn & lawn darted into the ground, then somebody finished me off by running right over me. I had my chest protecter & full-face on but it didn't matter. I heard a small "pop" as I hit, I had the air knocked out of me so I layed there for a few minutes as I stood up, this searing pain started in on my shoulder & I knew what had happened. Within minutes I was in full throttle pain. I was rushed to the hospital & had broken my right collorbone in 2, just like a wishbone, PLUS a separated shoulder that hurt waaay more than the break. I spent 5 weeks at home. The first week & a half I slept sitting up in the Lazy-boy. The pain was so bad that I became addicted to Hydrocodones(?) eating them like candy for the whole time. That was tough to break also. I didn't race again until May of 99' & even then it was 75%. I wasn't back to my old self until a year later.

Here are some funny "back in the day" stories.
I was leading a race in the old indoors back in 85', went over the wooden table & slipped both my pedals & did a top-tube dance. :shock: I crawled over to the wall, right in front of everybody & did my best not to puke right there & then. It was tough.

Then at my first national, Gold Cup Championships in Las Vegas in 83', in my 3rd moto I went over a double, slipped a pedal landed hard on my Uni-seat & that puppy snapped, leaving me to land on the rear wheel & a bad crash. I crawled off the track where I crashed.

b.

greg
2004 36-40 Cruiser State Champ

Postby greg » Thu Jun 03, 2004 12:54 am

Boy, that wooden table at the fair grounds seems to have gotten us all!!

I remember being hit pretty hard as I was flying over that thing, going off of the side and almost hanging myself in the microphone cable dangling at the side of the jump, and then slamming into the concrete wall that was next to it. I ended up with a couple of broken ribs and a broken helmet. I'm thankful to this day that my mom sprung for the Bell Moto III, otherwise I wouldn't look nearly as good as I do now. haha

My recent go round of racing, i haven't been hurt (yet), but ......there was this one time, in band camp........oh..sorry, just sounded funny.....anyway, my first race back after almost 20 years, it was indoors at Logan i believe, I was doing my usual stylin' for the crowd (waiving at my 3 yr old in other words), I was my usual 20-30 ft behind the other riders, and I thought I was going into the rythem section as usual......but.......SLAM.....down I went........no explanation.......just went down.............as I was sucking wind with my eyes closed, I could hear a voice saying "you OK???......are you OK???". I opened my eyes, and I swear Jason Melton's face was inside my helmet with me. I tried to laugh, as I thought it was funnier then hell, the whole situation......me wrecking for no apparent reason, knocking the wind out of myself, and Jason standing over me with his face stuck inside my helmet with me. SO, no real injuries, just to my pride. Which actually probably is what made me come back for more. I couldn't let THAT be my last race!! lol

Thanks Jason.......
Greg "how long does it take you to crash" prawitt

Heather Allred
Huffy Queen

Postby Heather Allred » Wed Jun 09, 2004 4:06 pm

I think it was 97' I was racing in Boise,ID and crash all by myself and broke my jaw, wrist and elbow in one crash. :cry:
I can't remember what year it was but I was down at the ABA grands and I flexed the rear end of my bike and it caused my chain fell off and got a really bad concussion. I was told I was out for almost thirty minutes.

justinsbmxmom
SE Floval Flyer

Postby justinsbmxmom » Thu Jun 10, 2004 8:05 am

This last wreck is definately my worst. I can't even type now. 4 pins is a lot of pain. I'm out for the year but you haven't seen the last of me and my awesome bike. I'm determined to come back next year and beat my Idol Nancy Melton!
Jenni - SE Ridin' BMX Chic

Return to “UtahBMX”