RAD Canyon's Friday Night Fair Race!! Incredible!!!

Anything and everything about the Utah BMX scene.

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

J Gallo
Web Guy

RAD Canyon's Friday Night Fair Race!! Incredible!!!

Postby J Gallo » Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:02 am

Wow, what a night of racing, entertainment and EXCITEMENT!! Where do I begin!!

First of all, in case you didn't see the news blurb on the front page, I took 196 pics, which you can find by Clicking Here!!

Ok, to start the festivities off right, Keith McCord from KSL-TV Channel 5 showed up and did not 1 BUT 2 live shots from the BMX track!!

The crowd started filling in early, and there were alot of riders chomping at the bit to get out on the track. I took some early practice and then settled in for a evening of picture taking. Once practice got started, the high flyers took over and got some SERIOUS air over the pro jump.

About midway through practice, Jason Melton came to find me to let me know that Silver State Helicopters had offered to take me up to get some aerial shots of the track if I was interested. Huh... I really had to debate with myself over that one..... YEAH RIGHT!! Let's GO!!!! Well, we got up in the air (this being my 2nd helicopter ride if you count my Life Flight ride a number of year ago) so I'm trying to enjoy it and get some good photos in. Well, as you'll see in the photo album, I got some absolutely positively FRIGGIN UNBELIEVABLE SHOTS!!! What a thrill it was! He also offered to go back up for some night shots, so hopefully I'll get those Saturday night. Here's a pic:

So now I'm on a natural high and there's no coming down. I get back to the track and practice is finishing up, so I settle in and start taking some pics at the first obstacle during the 1st motos. I decide not to run in my 1st moto so I can take pictures of the later moto's I usually miss by racing. Unfortunately, the sun is fading fast and pictures are getting more difficult. So I put the camera down to get ready for my 2nd moto, then transfer to the main.

A couple cool things before the mains started. They drew for the 50/50 raffle that was going around. The first half of the 50/50 went to Steve Spencer for building the track! Totally deserved and it was a great to see that happen!! Then, as if Karma had taken hold, the drawing was won by Heather Allred!! With all the time and effort Heather and Ian put into helping Utah BMX, they deserve it!!

After the raffles, we had a "Big Air" contest over the pro jump. Participants were Mitch Ropelato, Cody Kelley, Jordan Smith, Danny and Robby Patterson and Davis Blankenship. These guys got some sick air, in fact if you look at the blurry pics, you can see Jeremiah Fazzio standing holding a broom stick above his head, and they were still clearing it!!

Anyway, to wrap this up (since it's midnight), I think the races went very well. 29 motos and stands full of fans. I think almost 60 ABA 1 Day Passes were given out!! You're last chance to take part in this historic event is Saturday, which is a double pointer. Todd TP Parry will be putting on an early clinic for beginner riders, then another clinic for intermediate to advanced riders. Registration for the race will be from 3-4pm, so you better be there!!!
Gallo
"The ability to walk fully upright is overrated. Along with tying your own shoes."

Return to “UtahBMX”