Nellis-(Vegas) NBL National race report 3-24,25, 2006-food:)

File race reports and post pictures here! Enquiring minds want to know!

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

JasonStout
GT

Nellis-(Vegas) NBL National race report 3-24,25, 2006-food:)

Postby JasonStout » Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:28 pm

Hey all!

I spent the weekend in Las Vegas! This was the 2nd of 3 national weekends in a row. It really is great to get to race a lot of races in March.

Pasco last weekend was awesome. 6th in cruiser- yup- I was in that amazing race where Brandon Smith won! He put on an amazing move on a guy in the last corner...the same one I went down in. I had the best view of Brandon in that race- cuz I was on his back tire from where he passed me on the 2nd straight to the last corner where he solidified his win! Nice job Brandon!

Class was a blast. I lead the race til the 2nd corner. I got pushed up high an went from 1st to 4th. The legend Pee Wee Lee passed 3 of us to take the trade spots with me. I battled back and picked up the 2nd place in class! I'll lose to Pee Wee any day. (check him out at www.peeweelee.com) He doubled at the grands last year- class and cruiser. He also won in Pasco this weekend with his clavicle broken on both sides, and a busted foot! Crazy legend!

Recap- 6th in cruiser, 2nd in class! and FUN racing all weekend!

Vegas this weekend was busy. I left Thursday night and stayed at my brother's in St. George. I had a cute 3 year old neice and a 9 month old nephew to keep me company Fri. Morning. (My bro. does criminal defense and Family Law in St. George. If ya'll get in trouble with the law in Dixie- then give him a call! ;)

Amy's Uncle just opened a restauraunt in Vegas on Wednesday so we went there to carb up on some amazing Vietnemese noodles. Who says there's no such thing as free lunch! ;). He's opening a place on 1100 South and State in the next year. Dim Sum!-Yum!

Practice on Friday was awesome. Amy even took 4 laps! She loved it. The Nellis Track is great! It's super fast! I just got to the fun part of jumping everything when practice ended. I was stoked for racing on Sat.

Friday night I heade to UNLV to do some volleyball coaching for the SLCC men's team. They had an awesome night. My guys played better then they ever had! We stole a 2nd seed from a team that came in as a first seed sending us to the sweet 16 of the 58 team tourney! My boys tanked on Sat. loosing their first two matches to BIOLA and Air Force Acadamy. Nationals are here in Salt Lake for the first time in 6 years in the middle of April. I'll be spending the next few weeks in the gym getting my guys ready for the big show. If any of you are volleyball fans, let me know, I'll let you know when we play!

Sat. Racing was crazy! The weather forcast predicted wind gusts up to 60 mph. The weatherman was right! It was a steady 20 mph all day with crazy gusts that seemed to all come when I was in the gate or on the track.

I was bumped up to race the 35+ experts. Jason Melton was killing it all day in qualifiers. He was matching up well against Brandon Good ? from Wyoming. That dude is fast! He ended up winning the main. ( I think Melton could have taken him because the wind finally stopped for that main!) It was so nice to get a lap without battling the wind. I ended up coming from 4th to take the 2nd right at the line. What a fun race- especially one where I was able to come from behind and finish 2nd. There was no pressure because I was the only one in my class so I got the 1st place over all in class! NBL=No Body Loses

Recap-2nd in the main, 1st over all! No wind on that lap...

Cruiser class was a battle all day. David Moser gave a great showing in a really stacked class. Way to come race the big boys- Dave! There was a mix-up in the moto sheet. They had Drew Downey on the sheet so we thought we had a boat ride. This ended up not being the case. They didn't tell us, so it messed up the points thing, and Dave didn't get to race the main!

I had a battle with the same guys I raced at BC (the other Vegas Track). I drew an inside line which was great. We went into the first AND second corners 3 wide! I battled a guy for 2nd, then chased the leader down only to fall about a foot short at the line. I had nothing in the tank those last few pedals! My legs were shot! I took a second place, but was happy with the effort.

The wind changes everything. This track was a jump track! My kind of style! I started to jump and realized If I keep this up, I'm gonna crash. I turned into a Novice out there! I pumped everything! No jumping, or manualing allowed without getting blown over! I even fell over in the gate in one of my qualifiers. The wind was horrendous.

All in all, it was a pretty miserable day for spectators and racers fighting the winds. It wasn't "fun" and "fair weather" racing at all. It was a struggle to balance, ride hard, and not sustain a career ending wreck in that kind of wind.

Dinner was great! Back to the "Little Siagon" to eat "barbeque on the house! The spring winds was still blasting through the city of Vegas as I drove out of there. I dropped in on my brother and his family at church. (He spoke) then finished the drive Sun. afternoon.

Tonight is recital night for my 7 violin students! I have to get soup bowls ready and make final preparations for my peice. Thanks all for reading this long windyed race report. ;)

Recap- Fun practice, good food, challenging racing, good volleyball, good food, good family time, and good food! 1st in class, 2nd in cruiser!

I'm looking forward to Phoenix!

JS

Mitch Ropeloto, Mike and Cody Kelly, The Mosers, The Meltons- send in your race reports! You all did really well this weekend!

What were conditions like on Sun?

FLYNHIGH
Flynhighbmx Webmaster

Postby FLYNHIGH » Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:37 pm

Sounds like you had a good time, other than the wind... We felt it up here too.

Nice race report!

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:39 pm

Good job Stout!

Are you coming to terms with that nibbler cadence?

I also got one of those "best in class wins" at my last nbl national I attended. Even though I placed 6th or 7th in the main, I got a first place trophy for racing out of class. I was almost :oops: taking that trophy, lame rule if you ask me.

b.

BMX FAMILY
Huffy

Postby BMX FAMILY » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:53 pm

We all had a great time but it would have been better without the wind. We were watching the video of the races and poor Wyatt could hardly pedal against the wind. Dallas took second, Wyatt took fifth. Holden did a great job but didn't qualify. He got bumped up into the 6 year old class so he was racing against Wyatt (a little sibling compition). Dave had a great time racing. MOshers

mackdaddy
Resident Sushi Expert

Postby mackdaddy » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:23 pm

We had a great time this weekend! This race always gets me pumped since I love the track!!!!! It would be great to have the Nellis track in Utah. It is so much fun to ride. Fast and technical, very fast!!!!! We took the whole family including my mother in law down for the races!!! The kids liked the track too, especially Brice and Logan. They had a great time riding it.
Friday was great and warm day and practice was alot of fun!!! Nice sunny weather. Lots of pros jump in the 14and over practice and it was great taking gates with Mike Day, Bubba, Kolich, Betcher, Berkheimer and De Wilde. I learned a few new moves in the corners ridig with those guys!!

We stayed at the Sante fe station for the weekend and that is a great Hotel for the North end of Vegas. Movie theaters, bowling alley a kids daycare and lots of resturants make it an awesome place for the whole family.

Sat looked to be nice during practice weather wise. We had great weather till about the 2 round of motos. then the wind kicked up and started howling. ugh
I had great motos all day all wins in cruiser against Jeff study (nellis is his home track) and Jerry Smith both great riders and Bitinatis one of the East coast hotshoes!!!!
I pulled the tough 20 inch class since we had 2 gates. We had Brandon Good and Stout plus couple other fast guys in our moto. I ended up with a 2nd, 1st 1st in the motos.
Main time was terrible. The wind was howling and since Josh was the only one of the kids to make the main I packed up and went to the hotel. Riding with the wind at 40 miles an hour wasnt making me feel real safe.

Sunday the wind was a bit better in the morning I pulled the hard motos in cruiser and 20 inch again.
Cruiser went 2,2, 3, not what I wanted to do but I still had the main. 20 inch was fun and I got 1st,1st, 1st whichwas kepping me stoked!
When the mains rolled around the weather was perfect. Sunny and no wind. 20inch main was a blast, Bitinatis jump out in front and I tucked in behind him till the last corner when I High lowed him and out horse powered him to the finish line. Now to cruiser main, I got the hole shot into the first corner in front of Darnley who had beaten me in the motos. He kept trying to set me up for a pass but I held him off for the win. That was the best race of the weekend.

Josh made his main again got a fourth. Logan made his main and ran some awesome races against some tough comp. His main was the Hyper featured race and the kids who were in it got a few prizes and their photos taken. He had a great time with that and ended up with a 3rd

Looking forward to the next Nellis race!!!
Jason Melton
Overland Group
jmelton@overlandcorp.com
http://www.jasonsellsslc.com
(801)860-9357

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:39 pm

Melton, DO you KNOW -

- Bitinatis is a good friend of mine? Iv'e known him since 99'. We've shared the hotel room a few times at Rockford.

- "Moshb" is his handle at VBMX.

- He placed 5th in the A-main at last years B.S Open at Rockford.

- He's a ladies man, just like you!

....& you beat him, good job!

b.

JasonStout
GT

Postby JasonStout » Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:22 am

b-

I forgot to tell you Benitis says hello. He was the dude I passed at the line for the 2nd place on Sat. I passed him the last two rollers on the track. He looked over at me and said, "Ah man! you suck!" as I rolled by him. I just laughed and told him to wait up. I then told him I was the "31" year old racing out of class so he get's the 2nd. He just said, "In points only...I still got the third in this race!" He was cool about it. My back wheel was bent from the wreck I was in, and it was rubbing on the brake pads! I had to wear out my pad the first half of the track before I could pass him! Brandon Good with the win.

He told me all about your Rockford days together! I let him cut in line to get a trophy chip this weekend, and he mentioned you guys were great friends. I told him you helped me build my first bike when I got back into racing. I told hime I'd say hi to you and d. So ....

Hi from Benitis or however you spell his name.

JS

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:30 am

Yo dudes! Bitinburgeritisabcditis (sp?) here.
Very cool meeting you guys hope to meet up again.
Stout that main when you passed me was funny. What I meant was: I don't care about points I just cared about my finish position cuz I'm on a new team & wanted some good finishes so after a long day of racing, out of gas & happy w/ a 2nd you blow by me & I'm like "aw man that sucked you suck!" all in fun though. In the NBL standings it showed a 2nd so I guess all is good cuz my frames were finally shipped I guess my team was waiting to see some nat results from me this yr. NBL points/trophies are wierd huh?

Melton please tell ur wife again there were no elbows! I knew I needed a decent gate but wouldn't be able to hold you w/ my lack of a 5th 6th pedal so I moved over on ya a little no contact though!

Bruce what up dude! You should've been there! You'll be happy to know I'm fixing up my bikes a little to look a little more appeasing to your eye.
Intense frames.

good luck to all
Randy Bitinaitis (sp?)

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:30 am

Yo dudes! Bitinburgeritisabcditis (sp?) here.
Very cool meeting you guys hope to meet up again.
Stout that main when you passed me was funny. What I meant was: I don't care about points I just cared about my finish position cuz I'm on a new team & wanted some good finishes so after a long day of racing, out of gas & happy w/ a 2nd you blow by me & I'm like "aw man that sucked you suck!" all in fun though. In the NBL standings it showed a 2nd so I guess all is good cuz my frames were finally shipped I guess my team was waiting to see some nat results from me this yr. NBL points/trophies are wierd huh?

Melton please tell ur wife again there were no elbows! I knew I needed a decent gate but wouldn't be able to hold you w/ my lack of a 5th 6th pedal so I moved over on ya a little no contact though!

Bruce what up dude! You should've been there! You'll be happy to know I'm fixing up my bikes a little to look a little more appeasing to your eye.
Intense frames.

good luck to all
Randy Bitinaitis (sp?)

JasonStout
GT

Postby JasonStout » Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:54 am

Randy!

Thanks for posting!

Are you coming out to the GSL national?

Later!

JS

sspencer
Factory Bikini Cuts Hotshoe

Postby sspencer » Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:34 am

Randy,
Thanks for dropping in! It is great to see you back in the national scene.

Take care and hope to see you soon,
Steve
Spence'- dizzle fo'- shizzle
UTAH BMX Charter Member

Return to “Race Reports”