winter national

File race reports and post pictures here! Enquiring minds want to know!

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

Punk-Biker940
GT

winter national

Postby Punk-Biker940 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:27 pm

Hey everyone. we just arrived in arizona yesterday. the weather is great and soon i will post race reports about how all the utahns that came down here are doing this weekend. Good luck to everyone that came down here!!

-The Grens!

JasonStout
GT

Postby JasonStout » Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:11 pm

I'll be leaving in about 5 hours!

See you in Sunny AZ!

JS

Joe and Trav send their best as well!

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:16 pm

Good luck to you all!
Shane

Rope

Postby Rope » Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:45 am

Saturday's Results

GIRLS PRO    Total Riders = 11
    4  ARIELLE"AIRBORN"MARTIN

VETERAN PRO    Total Riders = 17
  1 (TP) TODD PARRY

17-27 GIRLS    Total Riders = 9
    7  HEATHER ALLRED

11 CRUISER    Total Riders = 17
    8  PHOENIX (FIREBIRD) PASSEY

14 CRUISER    Total Riders = 20
    6  ROCKIN  ROBBY PATTERSON

31-35 CRUISER    Total Riders = 17
    6  JASON (GRAND MASTER) HALVERSON

21-25 GIRLS CRUISER    Total Riders = 3
    2  HEATHER ALLRED

7 EXPERT    Total Riders = 22
    7  BENNETT (BULLDOG) NEWKIRK

11 EXPERT    Total Riders = 29
    4  PHOENIX (FIREBIRD) PASSEY

28-35 NOVICE    Total Riders = 8
    7  JOE LUDWIG

28-35 EXPERT    Total Riders = 12
    8  JASON (GRAND MASTER) HALVERSON

36 & OVER EXPERT    Total Riders = 14
    7  STEVE SPENCER

Rope

Postby Rope » Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:49 pm

Sunday's Results

GIRLS PRO    Total Riders = 11
    5  ARIELLE"AIRBORN"MARTIN

VETERAN PRO    Total Riders = 17
    2  (TP) TODD PARRY

17-27 GIRLS    Total Riders = 9
    7  HEATHER ALLRED

11 CRUISER    Total Riders = 17
    4  PHOENIX (FIREBIRD) PASSEY

17-20 CRUISER    Total Riders = 22
    6  TRAVIS HEALEY

36-40 CRUISER    Total Riders = 21
    5  STEVE SPENCER

21-25 GIRLS CRUISER    Total Riders = 3
    2  HEATHER ALLRED

11 EXPERT    Total Riders = 29
    8  PHOENIX (FIREBIRD) PASSEY

17-18 EXPERT    Total Riders = 39
    4  TRAVIS HEALEY

28-35 NOVICE    Total Riders = 6
    5  JOE LUDWIG

28-35 EXPERT    Total Riders = 10
    6  JASON (GRAND MASTER) HALVERSON

36 & OVER EXPERT    Total Riders = 10
    2  STEVE SPENCER

Curtis Newkirk
Photog Extraordinaire

Postby Curtis Newkirk » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:56 am

Wow. That was an incredible race. The density of top riders was more than I have seen at any national including the Grands. Sure, the Grands are bigger, but this race seemed to pull top riders in all classes. Bennett had 22 riders in four racks on Saturday. I would say out of the 22 riders 18-20 of them were all capable of making the mains. I don't think I have ever seen him fight so hard for a 7th place. I also don't think I have seen so many top riders squeezed out before the mains. Everyone came to this race to fight to the line. It was something else.

Here is the rest of my report:

The track: Amazingly smooth and fast. Not easy to gear for either because the gate was medium-flat with a looooong starting hill that developed a lot of speed. I kept Bennett on the same gearing he has run all year. I maybe should have gone up a titch, but oh well.

The facility: Nice facility, but its no Rad. The do have an incredible volunteer base and Debbie Kelley is the glue that holds them together. Very nice woman that I am happy to add to our BMX family base. The only problem with this track for a national is that there are not the big grandstand bleachers like we have at Rad (or at most indoors). This creates a disconnect because the Utahrds can't really sit together and cheer each other on. Everyone seemed to go watch or race thier respective races and then head back to the shade of thier car. We would catch up in parking lots, but it was just too hot to stand out on the track all day.

The weather: HOT. I think it hit 132 on Saturday. Well, at least it felt that way to me ;)

The crashes: Ugly. When you crash at speed on this track it is not pretty. The ambulance was busy.

Bennett: Saturday: 7th in class out of 22, DNQ'ed by finishing 5th in 7 & 8 Open Semi.
Sunday: Raced 9 & Under Cruiser for the first time, won the 2nd qualifier and made the 1/4 Mains. His 1/4 looked like this: 9C, 9C, 9C, 9C, 9C, 8C, 7C (Bulldog). He got absolutely shelled and finished 6th but that was better than expected. In class he rode amazingly well nearly beating NAG 1 Tyler (T-Rex) Fuller in the 1st qualifier, won the 2nd qualifier, but had some tough luck in the semi's finishing 5th. All in all I was VERY happy with his racing.

Trip home: Argh! We pulled in this morning at what I thought was 2:15. See, they don't have DST in AZ so it was really 3:15. I'm tired.

Okay eveyone, post up your reports!
~Curtis

Punk-Biker940
GT

Postby Punk-Biker940 » Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:11 pm

Hey everyone! We are on our way home now and we had fun this weekend in arizona! Here is my race report:

Wednesday: our drive there was about ten hours and man, I was tired by the time we arrived to my grandmas! On our way I fell asleep when we arrived in st. George. When I woke up about 2 hours later I lay there and see if I could guess what state we are in just by looking at peoples liscence plates(I was bored). So I see a couple utah plates a few nevada ones, and 1 arizona plate then after realizing what stupid things I do when I'm bored, I get up and what do I see? The stratosphere!! I didn't know we had to go through vegas to get to arizona.

Thursday: woo-hoo! I got to sleep in until ten. We went swimming and just had a day to spend in the sun. Oh did I mention we stayed with all the retired people in sun city? Ot was actually kind of cool. My grandpa had a golf cart that we were able to drive and yes, they were street legal!! Hehe. We had fun.

Friday: finally one of the days I have been waiting for. We headed out tot the track and I loved the track at practice. Nice and smooth. I liked the track a little better than rad, but facility wise, rad is better. 1st qualifying, LAST. Second qualifying, I took first!! I was so happy. Main races I kept up with everyone and almost beat 1 girl. We decided to change gears for saturday cause my dad figured out my problem in the gate.

Saturday: I'm sound asleep when all of a sudden my dads alarm goes off at 530 in the morning! I was tired but by the time we got tot the track practicing I was wide awake and hooked on those bottles of starbucks frappacino. Man those are good. Hehe. 1st qualifying, I got the worst gate, I went way too late but I stayed up with them and hi-lowed a girl, but for some reason I still took last. 2nd, I came in 4th out of 5 people but it wasn't good enough to make the semis. But we had fun and watched everyone and took tons of pictues! I'll try and post some tomorrow.

Sunday: ok straight to the races, first qualifying I took 5th out of 6 girls and moved on. Second, I got the best gate this weekend, and almost came in second but eneded up in third by about half a bike length. I didn't make those senis either but I had fun this weekend and can't wait to see everyone at the outdoor!!

JasonStout
GT

JS on Winter Nationals 4-1-06-sup foo's? I am...

Postby JasonStout » Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:48 am

What up Utah!

So- there we were...ouch, ouch, ouch! Ya'll better enjoy this- I'm sacrificing to write this, ya'll. Do you guys ever stay awake at night cuz your bmx injuries hurt too much to sleep? Tonight is one of those nights. 8) :lol: :o :) :P :roll:

Travis Healey, Joe Ludwig and I rolled into Black Mountain in time to practice. The track is it's usual smooth and awesome self! Went to the Motel-6 and slept.

Up early on Sat. race day- I slept in the car 'til my migraine subsided a little, then caught the end of practice. The track is sweet- and only get's better the more you ride it.

Ari, Todd, Anna?,Bennett, Alex, Phoenix, Heather, Robby, Travis, Joe,Jason H. Steve, and myself all faced probably the hardest competition we've ever seen at a national. It was stacked! (Maybe I'm only saying this to feel better about not making either main for the first time ever at a national!)

I think the majority of us Utah riders hit the dirt at least once- and we all got our butts kicked pretty hard the majority of laps we took! except TP and at times Ari when she showed the Euro wonder what's up!)

Phoenix rode so well in his mains He battled from the back of the pack to pass some top national riders for a 4th in class! Travis was unreal on Sunday in his class race against some amazing riders-also getting a 4th. Heather rode well on her new scooters from Intense. She battled with the nemisis she had at Grands with the same result. Alex and Joe were welcomed to national calliber racing at it's highest levels-but left with a new resolve to get more involved in this sport they rediscovered. Steve spent time in the dirt, and in the middle of a tough pack-He's still the smoothest old dude racer ever! (TP was killin it on Sat- then got his usually 8-1-1 on Sun 1st and 2nd With his winnings he bought me a puppy for $450. We got to travel with the little shi all the way back to SL. I miss you LEE -TODD! That's what I named her. She's asian and can't say her L's. (if any of you get that without an explaination, you deserve a star sticker on your eyelid!) He made me give it back when we returned home to SL. that's okay- that little she-dog did doodee all over Joe's Grand Prix. If you haven't heard- TP is a new daddy to the cutest baby bulldog you've ever seen! ) Robby made his Mains Sat, and watched Sunday. Jason H. made mains but also took some diggers! So many top riders watched mains from the sidelines. That made for some amazing racing in the mains- all weekend long! Wow!

I was edged out of the class main by Brandon Good- they guy who won in Vegas last weekend. I also got into a big crash with him when he landed on me when I moved over on him over the 14 ft step-up out of the first corner-(lesson learned, you have less momentum doing a high-low so don't move over and get landed on by the dude that just took flight over the step you are manualing) I went down hard- thus the bruised hand and slow typing. I hope to be ready for racing by Rad's opening day. My left side is bruised, and bloody in a few places-but hey, the risk is part of the fun, eh?

Over all- A tough weekend of racing. I'm pumped to do sprints, and ride the track that Steve will build for us. Speaking of, just a quick shout out to Steve Spencer for being so cool. He's really concerned about meeting the needs of Utah riders. He's such a great diplomat of the sport- and the state of Utah. If you haven't read the interview with him in this month's issue of the BMXer- take a min. to read it-he's listed several Utah BMX families-most of the cool kids at school! (I had to say it, man.)
:P :evil: :twisted: :shock: :D :( :o :lol: 8) :oops: :cry:

No, for reals- Steve is the man! We are lucky to have him!

It was also great to watch Travis turn a disappointing Sat. race day into a huge lesson learned. He then returned and raced Sunday more focused than ever against amazing competition. Congrats on your racing!

I took video of Sunday's Utah racing. I have it on VHS. Can anyone convert it and post it on this site? Contact me if you wish.

Just for the record- DR has been my favorite rider since I started back to BMX in 2002. He is now what Redman calls, "the hottest racer in BMX right now!" It was soooooooooooooo cool to see him kill it, all weekend long!

I'm off to ice my hand. I had to cancel my violin lesson on Monday too! :cry: Man this took forever to type! (Greg- did you need coffee for this one too?)

JS

P.S.- There were 62 A pros there- not one of them from Utah.

Rob Passey- when can we come ride your track?

FLYNHIGH
Flynhighbmx Webmaster

Postby FLYNHIGH » Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:14 pm

Return to “Race Reports”