RAD Canyon Saturday Oct 14th, 2006!

File race reports and post pictures here! Enquiring minds want to know!

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

J Gallo
Web Guy

RAD Canyon Saturday Oct 14th, 2006!

Postby J Gallo » Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:39 am

Well, Saturday didn't turn out as sunny as Friday, but it was still great weather to race!! Not too hot, not too cold, just about perfect.

I got there about an hour before registration opened because my wife was going to help out in the snack bar again (having her there makes it soooo much easier to get out to the track!!). I spent the extra time before races to try and help out around the track. Went out and pulled some big weeds between the 2nd and 3rd straight that were showing up in my pictures. There is nothing worse than getting a great pic of a rider with a big WEED rearing its ugly head. Then my youngest daughter and I took some time to pick up trash under and around both sets of bleachers. Since we only have a couple races left, we all need to make sure we leave the track a little cleaner than we found it before it closes for the winter.

So the track finally opens for practice and I start to get all my stuff together. My youngest daughter wanted to race today, so 3/4 of my time went to helping her out with bike, helmet, gates, etc. I was hoping to get on the track more to take pictures, but it just wasn't happening during practice. In addition, I wanted to get some quality laps in myself to get ready for the day. I needed some more time to get used to the new bike (OMG that thing rides SOOOO nice!). After about 4 or 5 laps I was getting a little tired so got off the bike and grabbed the camera to get in some pictures.

Unfortunately, my daughter required a little more hands on help during the races than normal so I wasn't able to really get around the track to take pictures. I generally had to stay around the 2nd turn (for her, and for me to get up for my motos). Most of my pics will be around the 2nd turn and gate pics. Sorry I couldn't get more!! Despite the single locale, I was able to get off 153 pretty good pics. If you haven't had a chance to check them out, you can find them here:

RAD Canyon Sat Oct 14th Pics

So my first moto comes up and I'm feeling pretty good. I get a decent gate and holding a slim lead down the first straight, with both Lee Geddings and Tyler Chipman within eyesight. I do my normal "brake-grab" before the triple, and get thru the 1st turn. I can't see Tyler, but Lee is right on me as we head down the 2nd straight. We're pretty even as we come out of the 2nd turn, but I pull away a little as we go thru the 3rd straight, and I hold him off (barely) for the 1st moto win. Since we had total points, I reallly wanted that win. 2nd moto comes and Lee gets an AWESOME gate and is out in front. I stay on the outside and try to pedal thru the 1st turn and I come out just behind him. Just about the same story as the 1st moto, except this moto I seemed to lose my legs early. I don't know how I got thru the 3rd or 4th straight, but I hold on again for the win. I've got the #1 overall locked up so I'm really feeling alot better about my racing. I've been working out and doing a few sprints to get back in shape, but that outdoor track is still kicking my butt. 3rd moto Lee, Tyler and I do a pump race. We are all pretty even into the 2nd straight, Lee and I are even into the 3rd straight, then I am able to steal the win at the end. GREAT RACE and GREAT FUN!! I can't tell you how good it feels to be back on the track riding, I didn't realize how much I missed it until those first races!!

So anyway, it was a really good day out at RAD. We ended up with 26 motos (AWESOME for these end of the year races!!). Everyone seemed to be in really good spirits, and I heard alot of people talking about the upcoming RAD Canyon indoor season at the South Jordan Equestrian Center, and how they couldn't wait for it to get started!

Unfortunately, one of our great riders was injured and not riding. You may have read a previous thread about Breanna Bonker being injured at the skate park last week (PSA: Kids, ALWAYS were your helmet!!). Well, it was GREAT to see her back at the track, but today as a spectator only.

And to honor her, the Moto Militia team (who won the team competition last week) all ran her #1 plate during the flag lap! That was pretty awesome to see! You guys and gals all ROCK!!

In case everyone thinks all the "rubbing is racin" goes on in the expert ranks, you need to check out this next picture! Here we have Cassidy Shepherd and Greg Allen getting a little too close for comfort!!

Ok, one last note. I heard an announcement about staying after next weeks race to help out for about an hour and a half, but I didn't hear for what specifically. No matter what it is, count me in! :) :shock: :D
Gallo
"The ability to walk fully upright is overrated. Along with tying your own shoes."

Return to “Race Reports”