RAD Canyon Indoor Sat Dec 2nd, 2006

File race reports and post pictures here! Enquiring minds want to know!

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

J Gallo
Web Guy

RAD Canyon Indoor Sat Dec 2nd, 2006

Postby J Gallo » Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:53 pm

What a great night of racing!! When I get some more time, I'll write up some thoughts about the clinic, and the racing. I had an absolute GREAT time, and hopefully it shows in the 221 pics I was able to take while out there. You can check them all out here:

RAD Canyon Indoor Sat Dec 2nd Pics

Also, Greg Prawitt was kind enough to tape a BUNCH of video, so I should have that to post either tomorrow or Monday. If I can't get it done by then, it will be next weekend as I'm out of town next week.

Let's hear some race recaps from everyone else too!!
Gallo
"The ability to walk fully upright is overrated. Along with tying your own shoes."

Schmickity
Schwinn

Postby Schmickity » Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:17 pm

very jealous of you guys in Utah for having indoor tracks and such high moto counts for local races. The moto counts in So Cal have dwindled to nothing with the chilly winds, horrible traffic and general disinterest in racing locals

J Gallo
Web Guy

Postby J Gallo » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:59 am

Wow! What a great weekend of racing! As always, major kudos to all the RAD Canyon volunteers who pulled off another TREMENDOUS race weekend! We can't thank you enough for the countless hours you put in to give us all a place to race and enjoy ourselves!

My weekend started out great! Took part in the Grassroots clinic on Saturday (which by the way was FREE to all NFM's, how awesome is THAT!). I really wanted to work on my gates and first straight, and I think I had some improvement as I seemed to get out better this weekend. I did well in my Inter class Saturday, and probably put together the most complete I've ever had in the main (except for the rhythm section).

I noticed that our 28x riders (Bruce Ritter and Jason Melton) had gotten stuck in the 19-27x class on Sat, so I actually debated about moving up to X then, but waited to see how I rode Saturday. Sunday morning comes along and I'm feeling good about my riding, so I come to the decision it's time to step up to the new challenge of expert. Then B shows up without his 20". Moving up now would mean a race against 19-27x. So, I did it anyway [Smile]

After I moved myself up, I saw my inter competition Brandon Townley and let him know about my decision. We talked about the move, and what it meant, and then he goes and turns X too! Kudos to you Brandon, you definitely have the horsepower for X and it showed as you stayed on Melton's back tire all day Sunday. I may be "smooth as silk" as B described, but I have a looong way to go to compete in Expert, but I'm loving the challenge so far. Unfortunately, my day didn't end well as I went down in the last turn in the main on Sunday, and am nursing a splinted left arm, and some very sore neck and shoulder muscles. But, I wouldn't change a thing. When it comes down to it, making a main in Expert means more to me than winning Inter, as long as I can continue to have fun.

It was great to see so many out-of-towners come in for the race. A bunch of Idaho and a few Wyoming, including Fellhauer's, Doroha's, Baisley's, Sheridan, and probably a few others I'm forgetting. Hope to see you guys again soon!

Also, I had a "dream" come true on Sunday. I've always wanted an opportunity to announce the races, however, I'm usually involved with taking pictures and covering the races for utahbmx.com, so I haven't had the chance. Well Sunday, Ron Melton calls me over and asks if I want to announce while Curtis gets his 3n Charlie up to the gate. Well, I have to admit I was pretty nervous, and was probably a train wreck at first, but WOW was that fun! I hope I filled in well and got the names right, and maybe if the stars align I'll get a chance to do it again!

Oh, and here a few of my fav pics from this weekend:

Kevin Sleater and bnd pose over the new gate ramps they built! Great job guys!!

Mike Kelley was looking GREAT all weekend long, especially in his custom "Team Duct Tape" jersey :)

Courtesy of 16g Ashley Topham, I "grew" some hair this weekend :)

Cody Kelley displaying some power (and Fly colors!) this weekend!

Jason Melton leads Justin Alvey and Mike Kelley into the 1st turn.

Curtis Newkirk gets his 3n Charlie up and ready in the gate!

If you want to check out more pics, here are the links:

Saturday Pics

Sunday Pics
Gallo
"The ability to walk fully upright is overrated. Along with tying your own shoes."

Return to “Race Reports”