Us National Championships Michigan

File race reports and post pictures here! Enquiring minds want to know!

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

mackdaddy
Resident Sushi Expert

Us National Championships Michigan

Postby mackdaddy » Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:41 pm

Well I made the trip out here and am sitting in Waterford Mi at the first ever Us National Championships Being put on by the USAC.
Was hoping to post some pics of the track tonight for all to see. However its been a bit of a journey getting here and I never made it to the track tonight.

My flight out of Chicago to Flint MI was delayed 3 hrs, lot of bad weather round these parts today. Very hi winds in our area. TONS of cancelled flights. I heard several racers are stuck in Chicago and maybe driving over. Anyway get down on the ground from a bumpy flight and get the rental car. Got the bikes fine but no clothes or racing gear in sight :shock: . Guess the airline decided to loose my bag with everything but my bike and tools!!!!! Well they are going to try to find them and get them on the flight here tonight however not much hope on my part! :(
Well after a trip to Wally World to get some undies :roll:, a toothbrush, some stinky juice :lol: and a change of clothes, I am sitting here at the hotel with my laptop and the room, trying to make some plans for if the bags dont show :roll:
I think Christian Martinez is coming out but dont have a number to reach them.

Will post another update tomorrow after the prerace National is over! I will send some pics to Gallo or someone if my bags show so I can download the camera. If they dont I will post the higlights.

Might be funny seeing me racing old school in a borrowed helmet, t shirt and jeans again :roll: :lol: :o
Jason Melton
Overland Group
jmelton@overlandcorp.com
http://www.jasonsellsslc.com
(801)860-9357

crash
GT

Postby crash » Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:58 pm

Go for the OLD SCHOOL!! Make a fashion statement and good luck!

D Dale
GT

Postby D Dale » Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:14 am

Here is part of a post on BMXMania....

Silver medalist at the 2006 UCI BMX World Championships, Arielle Martin (Cedar Hills, Utah) is also scheduled to compete and is considered one of the favorites to contend for a stars-and-stripes jersey.

Good luck Arielle and Jason. Thanks for representing us.

Darla

mackdaddy
Resident Sushi Expert

Postby mackdaddy » Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:52 pm

Ok I am late on the posts
Friday had 94 motos for the National, a very small race.....
We were done very late and by the time got back showered, ate and ready for today it was late so no post!!
I got a 5th in cruiser and DNQ in the semis on 20 inch
It was a long, hot muggy day and not alot of fun!!

Woke up today and it was pretty out and the wind went away. Not muggy at all :D
Got to practice and it was almost empty :shock: not alot of people practicing. Turns out we had 68 motos. :shock: :shock:
Well its 30+ Men at the worlds so that is the way they run it here we had 2 of the biggest classes with 26 riders in 30+ men on 20 inch and 35-39 cruiser had 15 riders. The only bigger class was 17-24 men with 35 riders. Elite men (AA) pro had 12 riders :shock: :shock: :shock:
Anyway since the race was small we were running back to back motos.... 43 in 20 inch and 62 in cruiser, plus running all 3 motos casue of low points was killing alot of guys. It was tiring!!!! :o
I had bad gates on 20 all day and did a 5th in the first round and a 6th in the next round so I didnt race the thrid round to save energy. Got a 2nd in cruiser first moto :D and a 4th in the second round so tied for second in points at that point!!!
Got a 3rd in the final moto to make the main on cruiser, with 15 riders we ran 2 gates of 8 and 7!!!!! straight to a main but tough riding with full gates.
Getting in the main got me a slot on the USA team for the Worlds in 2007 !!!!!
Had a good gate in the main rode a tight race and finished 3rd!!!! Up on the podium!!!! :D :lol: :D
They gave out Bronze medal to 3rd, silver to 2nd and first got a Stars and stripes jersey, #1 plate and a Gold medal.
For Bruce, Scott Matual from BID won our cruiser, Moses Tilman got second

Arielle rode strong all day runnig 1st or 2nd in all her motos, However she fell over the second jump in main while in 2nd place!! Shes ok just bummed bout not being on the podium!!!
Will try to email gallo some pics to post up of the races and the place later tonight!!!
Jason Melton
Overland Group
jmelton@overlandcorp.com
(801)860-9357

J Gallo
Web Guy

Postby J Gallo » Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:09 pm

Here's a couple pics of Melton I found, looks like they found his bag :)

Gallo
"The ability to walk fully upright is overrated. Along with tying your own shoes."

mackdaddy
Resident Sushi Expert

Postby mackdaddy » Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:14 pm

My review that i posted on Vintage bmx
Bruce posted up my race report from Utah bmx earlier and Im sitting in Chicago airport with some time to kill, so let me offer up my views having attended the event.
Also i am from Utah so an ABAer originally and considered a West Coast rider since that was how I was intro d around at the races by some of the NBL guys.

The track was cool, lippy and steep compaired to the ABA tracks but it was WAY fun with lots to jump!!!! Some of the ABA riders in my classes struggled cause they dont jump as much, but they were pulling some good manuls that even a couple of NBL regulars were impressed with since they comented to me about it! And the track was very long. Not for all the riders liking.

With it being the first USAC event there were lots of confusion and ticky tacky rule enforcement, which is to be expected. There was grumbling but most took in in stride and very well.
Looking at practice on Sat it was obvious it was goin to be a small race which is disappointing!
The NBL messed maikin big by allowing the points series qualifying for the Worlds, so most went that route and didnt show for the championship.
The classes were small but all were deep! The semis in 30+ men were 8 man gates and looking at the names on the sheets was like looking at main events at most nationals. There were Regular main makers sitting on the side line watching the semis as well. Usac also ran big motos ie not the typical 5 or 6 man gates. The 30 + men had 26 riders with motos of 7,7,6,6 at any other national that would have been 1/4's. 35-39 cruiser had 15 riders with 8 and 7 man motos going straight to a main.

They ran the race fast and smooth.
The small moto count was disappointing like I said earlier. Was hoping to see 100 to 125 motos. I dont know how the USAC and the NBL are going to promote this race but they need to. All other countries have a national championship and the USA should as well!!!! Looking to next year its gonna be even harder to make this race important for people. The big draw this year was qualifying for the Worlds in Canada, Next year its in China so less will actually try to make the trip with the Distance involved and the Year After is Australia which is even farther! There are no NBL points for the race and high entry fees! So how do you draw a big race and make it attractive to folks to bring in the riders? I dont have all the answers for that, but they need to try something! More Cntral location would help. Larger podium awards would help and recognition of all 8 main makers would also help.
There are lots of rumors bout the changes for next year, but we all know how rumors go! LOL

With all the negative posts and comments, I will finish with some positives
Great Facility and awesome setting!
Smooth running race once they started!
Event specific plates- nice touch
Great guys to race against- all were fun and chatting with us "West Coast ABAer's"
Tough Competition
Got to compete in the first ever USAC National Championships! And I got on the podium!!! Yahoo!

Jason M

[ June 10, 2007, 06:11 PM: Message edited by: mackdaddy ]
Jason Melton
Overland Group
jmelton@overlandcorp.com
(801)860-9357

mackdaddy
Resident Sushi Expert

Postby mackdaddy » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:25 pm

Here is the link to some of the videos that were posted on Vintagebmx
Enjoy