Super Nat'ls Reports, Please.

File race reports and post pictures here! Enquiring minds want to know!

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

b2
Not a Troll!

Super Nat'ls Reports, Please.

Postby b2 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:52 pm

I can't believe I have to ask... I saw some racing from Bennett, Anna and Charlie on Go211.com as well as a couple Browns and Fordhams. And (Colorado) Roy Kemp, too.

Where are the reports, y'all (you should be talking like that after hanging out in TX for the weekend, right? I guess Curtis' drawl could have resurfaced)?

UtahLori
Utah's Girl Pro Mom

Postby UtahLori » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:54 am

We went but only raced the USAC race. I was all stoked on the 80 degree weather forecast the day I left but ended up buying warmer shoes and layering clothes by the time the weekend was over. It was chilly with a lot of humidity and slight rain but with a covered arena was no problem. ABA ran a smooth race , however, despite what is being said on other websites, the transponder system did not work at all. I am not sure why they are saying it did........ They were not even set up at the finish line to use it so I am not sure why they even went through the hassle of having riders leave 100 dollar deposits and installing them. That was a bummer because with the transponder system, you get lane choice according to performance. It is also nice to be able to see your track time results in comparison to others.

It was good to see people I had not seen in awhile but somehow I never laid eyes on another Utahn except for Bennett and Anna on the track. Anna took a 2nd and Bennett a 5th if I am not mistaken. I thought that was a strong showing from the Newkirk family considering Bennett is just off his injury and he has a tough class.

Arielle road very well winning every moto by a considerable distance. In the mains, she and Jill, (who was in the other rack) knew it would be a showdown between roommates. They are very evenly matched at this point in time in all of their testing and on the track. Working together in Chula Vista is making them both progress at an increased rate. Arielle hit the gate- Jill got the gate of her life coming from lane 8, making for a perfect lap and sealing the win. Arielle got balled up in the pack, got hit from behind by Luna who went down and had to play catch up. She pulled hard on the last strait and at the line came up just a few inches short of win.

This gives Jill a 2 point lead in Olympic points on Arielle but stretches out the lead the 2 have on any other contenders. If they take 2 American woman- these 2 are sitting well. If they take only one, Arielle will have to make up those 2 points at either the Australia race in 2 weeks, Denmark or the worlds in China but those races each place counts for 2 points so she would only have to place one spot ahead of Jill in one race to tie them up. It is getting down to the wire for us.......
You can't always change your destination overnight but you can change your direction.

b2
Not a Troll!

Postby b2 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:44 am

Great report, Lori, thank you! I did see Arielle race one of her motos... not the main, however. She rocked it too!

I think I saw Anna N. rock the 6 Girls with a win. Maybe it wasn't the main?

And I think I saw Charlie N. get 4th--looked like he had 3rd until right at the line--and that was in 6 & Under Open, or something named like that.

Who's got more? Wayne? I saw you the background (those Extreme Team jerseys make your team pretty easty to pick ou) in a picture that Stuart (HRP Designs) posted on Vintage.

Curtis Newkirk
Photog Extraordinaire

Postby Curtis Newkirk » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:16 pm

Brent - that was Anna in the open getting nipped before the line. She took 1st in 6G on Sunday, 2nd in the National Championships for 5-7G on Saturday, and 4th on Friday in 7G. Her win on Sunday was her first win in any race ever so I think I cried just a little.

Bennett did good and made all his mains. He was nervous in the mains though and struggled. I came to find out later that it was not his wrist, but the fact that he did not have the Ballistic Jersey they cut off at the hospital and has been on backorder since. He gets a new one on Friday.

Arielle was off the carts, checking out of every qualifier on Saturday, and putting up a great battle with Jill Kitner on Sunday to take the 2nd. Hunter Brown gets my "come from behind guy" award. I saw him go from 4th to 1st or 2nd more than once over the weekend.
~Curtis

b2
Not a Troll!

Postby b2 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:24 pm

Thanks for the update, Curtis. I don't ever remember hearing the announcer say "Anna Newkirk" in that race, I guess. So I assumed Charlie. In the 6G that she one, I think I caught that race just after turn 2, and she was already way out in front! Way to go, Anna!

It's fun to watch online, but it is a bit of a time commitment... and it REALLY gets a guy jonesin' for the track!

Way to go EVERYBODY!

Return to “Race Reports”