Gold Cup Central Qualifier

File race reports and post pictures here! Enquiring minds want to know!

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

jnasty
GT

Gold Cup Central Qualifier

Postby jnasty » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:38 pm

Ahhh, how I love waking up before the sun to drive into Colorado for a race. Sunday was the Redline Gold Cup Qualifier held in Grand Junction, which turns out to be the closest track to me at just under 3 and 1/2 hours.
Pulled up to the track to see the track lined with tents to provide shade, and then there was us, the only people on the bleachers, but coming from Bullfrog it wasnt too bad.
I had planned on being there for some time considering it was a big point race, but to my shock, 26 Motos! Thats cool with me and my wife though, we had some money spending to do beside gas. I was racked up in Moto 3 with a total of four riders, good kids as well so I was stoked. First moto I popped out to a lead and never looked back, won by half a straight. In the main I got a little silly over the first step up by trying to pick up wheelie the hole thing, got pulled by a kid with a chain ring that would make lance armstrong cringe, and just waited for my chance. I was peddling four times to every one of his and making ground fast, going down the second to last straight rhythm section I pulled to what would be the outside, and the leader stayed to the inside. He shot straight to the top of the tight last corner and I dove in shutting the door. I had him down the last straight, even when he decided to pop me with an elbow, but when you got a little bit around the waiste you dont have to worry about that. Held off for a win, and a good time. Total Time at the track was 2 and 1/2 hours.
I did see some good racing, there was a guy from Vail there on a yeti mountain bike with the biggest legs I had ever seen, he won 31-35 cruiser with some ease. That guy probably kills it in the MTB world. I also saw some not so good racing, gate 7 to gate 1 within the whole 30' rule, and I didnt like seeing that much. A bunch of older folk werent too happy, but it is what it is. Roy Kemp almost missed his moto, that was kinda funny, he put his tire over the gate and the gate operator kept starting the gate with everyone yelling at him. I bet Roy wont do that again, his skinny rims wouldnt stand a chance vs. the gate. The people at Grand Junction BMX are always so happy to see out of towners. They asked me if I drove in just for the BMX race or for Countryjam. I asked back with whats Country Jam? I want some Jam. Anyway, Im not quite where I want to be for the SLC nationals, but soon will be. Oh and by the way, I made hotel reservations for the Grands, yup, guess were gonna do it, but I might have to take some off the previously mentioned waisteline if I want to make the main there, HA!

Save a tree, RIDE A SCOOTER!
Jnasty
DO WORK SON!

Return to “Race Reports”