RC Indoors on Sunday.

File race reports and post pictures here! Enquiring minds want to know!

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

J Gallo
Web Guy

Postby J Gallo » Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:15 am

So, what WAS the story on the MTB races?

It was my understanding that only 1 or 2 riders showed up, so they couldn't make a class.

JasonStout
GT

MTB races....It could work...if we get them on bmx bikes!

Postby JasonStout » Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:28 pm

In My Opinion....

Ok- so here I am, a rookie mountain bike rider who owns a mountain bike that my BMX buddie says would work to come race on an indoor "horse arena".

We pick up the conversation there...

"Yeah, dude...it will be fun. You get to race other mountain bike owner racers around a track multiple times...don't mind that one lap kills me, and puts me on oxygen for 10 minutes. Oh, and don't mind you'll be on a bike not built for the track we made, and don't mind that you'll be wearing minimal protective gear for the event, and don't mind that hundreds of people will be watching you debut your rookie skills..."

"Oh, so I'll be like, the half time entertainment for you real BMX riders..."

"Yeah!.., well, No dude.... come on, it will be fun!"

I think the MTB races are a set up failure from the start.

INSTEAD....

I don't know how liablity works, but just hook up anyone who wants to run a "Rookie Race" on a bike, pad them up, and let them run against each other.

I have several buddies who want to try BMX. It seems like trying bmx has a huge barrier to entry. You have to get a membership for a min. of a month which is pricy for a night of trying BMX. How were you all gonna do the MTB races. Have them sign a waiver of some sort?

The race for life format brings out the most rookies! I know a new year is coming and each track will get to do those again. As you remember, I brought an average of 8 RFLers each time throwing together bikes and having them borrow bikes and helmets from each other. Several of you helped by donating your bikes to the cause too Thank you for that! Anyway-

I think ya'll know what I'm getting at even though I didn't express it very well. I post this as an attempt to open the dialogue for more ideas on this realativly good idea for recruiting racers- not to step on toes.

Let's discuss!

JS

Postby Guest » Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:24 pm

jason I don't think it's a barrier as much as a liability. I know that it would be nice to have anyone who wanted to race but if someone gets hurt, broken arm or anything, who do they go after to get medical bills paid for? Racing is a great sport but people can get hurt, that why the aba has you sign up as a member or you sign a practice form,or you buy a temp. member ship, that way if something were to happen you would have a secondary insurance. If not then they come after the track,aba or even the track land owners, I think it's like every sport if you want to play you must sign up or sign a waiver so in case something happens you're covered. I think it's up to all of s to try and get over the barrier by working together, ask questions about whats going on , how to be a member, what you get when you by that membership, insurance,bmx when they finally get them printed, a family outing with freinds and people that are really cool if you just get to know them. This is a great family sport it gets the whole family out together racing, having fun with other family members, I think alot of people have come out and made great freinds with other familys. We need to get back to when we were all excited about coming out to the track to be with our freinds and familys, back when we were all excited racing. Any ideas that people have should be brought up to the track tos, the only way that thing can change is if every one of us put in a little effort to make the sport grow not just a few. I know that there is alot of people that help ,but there is always someone out there that that can really make a difference. this is the greatest sport with the greatest family and freinds out there lets just make it a little better.

Return to “Race Reports”