This Weekend!-Invite, coerce, or bribe people to race Sat!

File race reports and post pictures here! Enquiring minds want to know!

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

JasonStout
GT

This Weekend!-Invite, coerce, or bribe people to race Sat!

Postby JasonStout » Mon Jan 24, 2005 3:26 pm

So there I was.....

Driving home for sunday dinner when I spotted 2 kids, about 12 on some heavy walmart mongoose bikes. They had built a small jump out of a 3 foot plank of ply-wood and a couple of bricks. I unhooked my 20 inch from the rack and went to play with the neighbor kids.

To make a long story short, ("too late") I ended up meeting their parents. I invited them to the races to watch on Friday, then to race the RFL on Saturday. They were really excited about the whole deal!

Anyway, you guys- this weekend is a great opportunity to invite a lot of people out for some great racing. There might be a pro race? and a chance to ride in the RFL is great.

Challenge- Make a list of friends you think might be interested in watching you race on Friday or who might want to try riding of Saturday.

then....."Go make some phone calls!" Bruce Ritter

Okay- now you have done that, now think of some people you don't like that you'd like to see hit the dirt really hard. now "make some phone calls!"

Come on ya'll- start opening your mouth and talking to people at school, work, or around the neighborhood about what you do- BMX!

"....I don't ride motorcyles!" Yeah- expect this answer-just clarify- pedal bikes. and be prepared to answer any questions they may have. Show them pictures, or magazines or whatever. Introduce them to the sport. It does take some time, as most people have no previous experiences to compare it to.

Track builders! - I hope you keep in mind that this is a race for life weekend, as well as a pro race weekend. Please do your best to keep everyone happy. It's tough to recruit racers when they have a broken collar bone for the first few months of the year!

What else?....Oh- GO MAKE SOME PHONE CALLS!

See ya this weekend- I can't wait to meet your friends.

Jason Stout

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:40 pm

I made about a dozen flyers about the weekend & have given most out. Iv'e been looking up old names & touching base with them, most don't even know that BMX is still racing in winter here. Stout, looks like we make a good BMX tag-team.

b.

JasonStout
GT

Are you in? The Oblads are in the house!

Postby JasonStout » Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:15 am

I just found out that Steve and Mike Oblad- (Brian's dad, Brook and Brianna's grandpa and uncle) are building up some sweet old school Gary Little John 26" bikes to race this weekend. Steve Sr. used to race Ron Melton back in the early 80's. He also had a lot to do with getting me and my family into racing back in the day. It will be great to have you back on the track Steve and Mike!

I have been making some phone calls and have already gotten 5 committed race for lifers!

Make some phone calls!

Jason Stout

bubbaliciousbmxr
Queen of Sheba

Postby bubbaliciousbmxr » Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:13 pm

I'm working on it! I really am!

With promises that there are good looking BMX boys and a promise that I will race 20" too, I think I am getting 3 girls out, but it's not guarenteed yet. (They're still trying to convince their mom and dad)

My goal is five girls to come out. Wish me luck, and if you have any other ideas on how to recruit Race for Life-er's, PLEASE LET ME KNOW!

Thanks guys!
Dani

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:30 pm

Let's set out to break our race for life record from last year.... last year we had 55 motos and 255 riders. I know that all of us Utah people and the guys coming in from out of town can beat that number..... anyone, that we can get to come out and race this weekend only makes the sport of bmx that much bigger, so if anyone has extra bikes bring them, heavy or light, lets do this thing.

mackdaddy
Resident Sushi Expert

Postby mackdaddy » Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:53 pm

Jsut for info I believe we had 47 Race for Lifers out on Sat!!! That is great and thanks to those who brought them out!!!
Jason Melton
Overland Group
jmelton@overlandcorp.com
http://www.jasonsellsslc.com
(801)860-9357

justinsbmxmom
SE Floval Flyer

Postby justinsbmxmom » Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:33 am

I brought a friend from Omaha, Nebraska. He happened to be in town for training up on Hill. He totally enjoyed it. Can't wait to get home and get his kids into it.
Jenni - SE Ridin' BMX Chic

J Gallo
Web Guy

Postby J Gallo » Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:35 am

As a side note to this topic, my mom finally came by to see me race on Sunday (and barely arrived in time to catch my 2nd moto, and watch me come in last :) ), but she thought it looked like alot of fun and now she wants to try racing! :D

I wish she had come out a day earlier, I would have signed her up for the RFL.
Gallo
"The ability to walk fully upright is overrated. Along with tying your own shoes."

justinsbmxmom
SE Floval Flyer

Postby justinsbmxmom » Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:52 am

Justin's grandma made it out to watch him and all he wanted to do was race big wheels. She didn't believe me when I told her about Ron Melton. She was shocked to see him out there racing. She still thinks I'm going to get killed out on the track. I told her I'd rather die living on the edge than on the couch!
Jenni - SE Ridin' BMX Chic

Return to “Race Reports”