Rad weekend. 1/28-1/30.

File race reports and post pictures here! Enquiring minds want to know!

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

TP
Stud Vet Pro

Rad weekend. 1/28-1/30.

Postby TP » Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:54 pm

Just a few comments.

1- the track was great--- I'm not a huge sweeper fan but other than that it was fun and fast. and it looked like all levels and ages had fun racing on it!

2- there was some great battles. Patterson/smith. Melton/smith. the 36-40 was awesome. 16x-- Fazzio/Patterson tradin paint all weekend! will a truce come anytime soon? Ropaloto looked great. Riley Winn moved up to 9 expert and won! 10x had 10 riders, 12x had 12 riders! Heather Allred had some great races with the Colorado NAG girl.(I forgot her name,sorry) 8x was won by the maddog Bronson Butcher.

3- Big thanks the Bruce Ritter for pushing the pro race, thanks to the Rad crew for letting it go down. thanks to Ray Hudson for donating all the prizes. Big thanks to all the people who helped sell raffle tickets, Janet Critchfield!! sold a ton!! thank you!! and thanks to pros who showed!!

4- I had a blast racing! I don't get to race in Utah very often so it was fun! Big thanks to the crowd who cheered big time every time we raced!! I think the 3rd main saturday created more noise than a lot of national mains I have raced in. Thank you- Ray Hudson,Josh Holt,Arielle Martin!

5- the turn out was great! tons of people, great atmosphere!

6- I don't want to ramble forever, I just wanted to say thank you and I hope we put on a good show! I know all the am's put on a great show for me! Wow! I love big time racing!! and that is want it seemed like, just way more excitement than a regular local race.

7- Thanks for listening, TP :lol:

TP
Stud Vet Pro

Postby TP » Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:57 pm

And------ It was great to have Roland Critchfield back on the mic!!!!!!!

JasonStout
GT

Jan 28-29-So there I was......get comfortable, this one is..

Postby JasonStout » Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:26 am

long!

So there I was....

I just pulled into my parents neighborhood on Friday afternoon. I stopped by my neighbor's house to see if the 2 youngsters and their parents were gonna make it to the races that night. They said they would stop by around 7:30. It was a go. I loaded up the bikes and carbs and headed to the track!

6:30 p.m. rolled around and Shellie and I walked into the arena. Steve was frantically building the rythmn section. I've never seen anyone drive with such skill and accuracy! Before I could unpack my bikes and gear- and have an amazing conversation with Curtis Newkirk about the early Christian church (Acts and Paul's letters)- the track was "good enough" for that night's racing.

After discussing Christian theory and scriptures for a while, Curtis, speaking like a true Christian, asked if we should go help with the track. I told him my energy levels currently don't allow for track building AND racing. That night I would race. Since I saw all of the tools were being used to prop up most of the guys who were using them, (They must have been tired!) We decided to leave the track building to those who were already hard at it. Did you all feel like you could use more help? What could we have done to help out?

What a production. To turn a horse arena into a BMX track in 1 day. Props to everyone who had a hand in building and running the track this weekend.

Ian and Heather! You two are a class act! I know I wouldn't race half the races I go to, if you weren't there to lend a tool, or a pump, or sell product. Thanks for all you do at the track. I hope you guys are at least breaking even. Sorry to hear you have to pay $75 to set up your show.

Speaking of not setting up a show....what happened with the Kelly's show? Mike Kelly has spend thousands of dollars on-well you've seen it...tools, starting gate timer, and whatnot....only to be told he couldn't do that anymore? What gives? I don't wanna be the one to rock the boat on this one, but dang Gina? The Kelly's are pillar in holding up the Utah BMX sanctuary. Let's do what we can to make sure that racing families are catered to- and taken care of. In my opinion, if you can't take care of people who give so much in return, how can you expect to take care of the rookies. I'm sure I'm just misinformed about what the regulations are, so I'm seeking to understand the whole story. anyone....anyone.....?? Why can't you put a bike up on the rail with a 'for sale' sign. Last year we had a lot of tables with people selling their stuff. What is different this year? What is the story?

So racing on Friday was a blast! I won my first round qualifier in 28+ Expert. That was my fastest lap. My main was a blast. I introduced myself to DJ from ? I did it in the last corner with a big bump. He thanked me for it at the end of the race. He said he likes physical racing like that. I'm sure it was more fun for him because he got the win as well ;) . It was great racing. I also had a great time racing Jason Melton. I found out after the race that both DJ and Jason were on flats! Nice racing you two! Brian Oblad is a fast rider! He's a rookie to the Expert class and he's taking 4ths and 3rds. What a tough group of racers we have here, if a guy as fast as BO is taking 3rds and 4ths. Bruce- you talked him in to racing expert early, now come race him!

My 2 new recruits came and rode the track after the race that night. Their parents signed them up for the race on Sat. They also entered the raffle. They were both excited to come race. Jacob-11N, and Dylon-12N. Watch out for these guys, cuz they might be new ABA members if they can convince the parents.

So- after a handfull of people backed out on me, I was still left with 8 RFLers! Here's a review of the people and their experiences.

Shellie- 21 girl cruiser-qualified first round, took an overall second by throwing down a textbook high/low on Jenni Allen in the last corner.

Mechelle-23 girl cruiser- didn't qualify for the main. Raced two laps and got a great workout! She says "You all make it look easy! That was the best workout for my legs!" also "I'm glad I didn't make my main, my legs couldn't have handled another lap!" She said she had a great time!

Jacob-total points- took 3rd all three rounds. Loves BMX bike racing. He wants to thank that guy who lent his enigma bike for him to race. Yes you, the dude from Colorado- thanks again!

Dylon- won his 2nd qualifier. Didn't place in the main, but loved the racing. He was the last one on the track Sat. night after taking an extra 10 laps!

Ben, Dan, and Shawn all raced 19-27 novice. Ben didn't qualify, Dan beat him out for the spot, and Shawn took home the first in the main- and did it on Ian Elliot's awesome Staats 20 inch! He said the bike was too nice for him! Shawn wanted whoever he was racing (an aba member) to have to race a few more novice races before moving up.

Dan was the caboose of that train! So Shawn and Dan were the book ends of that moto! Dan finished last, but with great style by manualing the last 15 feet of the track and over the finish line! He also wants to thanks the dude from Colorado for lending his enigma to race! Thanks for coming guys! You really helped out a good cause!

Conrad 29 novice- didn't qualify. This is his third RFL and the first time he didn't qualify. That group had like 12 or so, -two racks! They were taking 2-2 in to the main. He took 3rd in the 2nd round.

My night was fun and memorable. I took an uncontested 1st in 26-30 cruiser. It was great to see so many riders my age come out and race. There was quite a dip in numbers in that age group over the last little while. Now we usually have 6-10 active riders in 26-30 cruiser- all rookies-except the vet- Ian! Mike Oblad-Welcome back! You are looking fast! I could hear the battle going on between you and Ian in the Main. You are a talented rider. Hey- what is your mountain bike career? I heard you were ranked 7th in the world for mountain bike racing? is that right?

I took a 2nd in class. Jason Melton and I were tied going into the main with 3 points each. I blew my gate, and my chance for a 1st place. What a crazy mental mistake on my part! Brian Oblad was right there keeping us both honest all 3 laps- Thanks for your friendship and help with bikes and racing! I have come to really respect the guys I race. I know that Jason Melton gives his best race every time out on the track. Because of this, I've come to respect him as an athlete and a competitor. He makes me ride better each race. Jason and I exhanged paint, rubber, and elbows this weekend. Thanks for keeping the level of racing high at these local races. I have come to expect clean, yet fierce racing each time. I'm glad it's not like Danny P. and Sunshine. I agree with TP- when will the games stop, and the racing begin? Thanks Jason Melton for keeping it real!

Kudos to Rob Passey for getting a last second 1st place finish! Way to join your son on the 1st place podium! Phoenix- great main on Saturday-Awesome pull! What exactly happened to Cody Kelly in the main? Did he wrap a shoelace around his pedal? Did he just hit the family tree- I've heard several stories- What happened? I hope you are okay! Mike- Great laps! You are riding stronger than ever! Keep it up!

Danny Patterson- you inspired me to race a tough race- too bad we suffered the same fate to those Staats team riders.

Rockin' Robbie and Jordan Smith! You guys are worth the price of admission. I love watching you battle. Keep it up, you are making each other super fast!

Mitch Ropelato! You are untouchable! Rock on man!

The Donners!- Dad- thanks for keeping that sweeper corner swept. It was the best it's ever been! Mom- Thanks for showing up and sharing your family with us all. Sister- You are getting faster every race! Nice performance this weekend. Keep writing! Brother- What a challenge to race with Diabetes! Don't get discouraged! Just keep giving your best race every time!

Jason Gallo! Nice lap dude! I saw you show Mike Kelly a little something on one of your qualifier laps! Nice job! Also, way to sneak in the 2nd place in the main. You threw down a sweet move in the last corner to pull it off! Thanks again for taking all of those great pics and posting them so quickly. I know your time is precious, but thanks for all you do on this website! (Can you please change my rider profile page to some respectable pics?-Make me look good, man!-LOL)

Dave, Carrie, Jacob, and Bob- you guys are the best! I look forward to many more races with you all around. Carrie, are you gonna sign up as an ABA member? You now know it's better than the gym!

Bruce- thanks for getting the pros to come out! Also, nice job getting some riders to come to the RFL. I'm diggin' the old school pics you are posting. Thanks for sharing your collection with us! Keep them coming! Congrats again on making the Vintage national team- same to your wife, Donita! I wish you two the best for a great year!

Well, it's late, and I know I missed a lot of folks. I just wanna say thanks again for everyone who has helped me out personally on and off the track! Dan Patterson especially. Way to kick some butt on occassion! Thanks again for letting me run your wheels! You are my sponsor.

TP and Ariel- thanks for representing the state, your sponsors, and yourselves so well! Keep it up!

Robert Anderson- thanks for lending your bike and helmets to my RFLers.

Well, if you made it this far- shame on you for wasting so much of your time reading all of this. Get back to work or go do something productive!! LOL- no- feel free to write back any response you have to any of this. or at least correct my spelling and grammar and send it back to me!

BMX- Whahoo!

Jason Stout

J Gallo
Web Guy

Postby J Gallo » Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:51 am

Saturday I felt pretty good after being off the bike for 4 weeks. Had some decent gates and probably had the best lap of my life taking a 1st in my first moto. Wish I could say the same for the main. Came out even out of the gate but just felt sluggish down the 1st straight and got pulled by 2 riders into the 1st turn. Was able to catch up to the 2nd place rider in the rhythm section and got under him in the last turn, and ended up a photo finish at the line. Props to Mike Kelley on putting together a flat out great lap in the main for the win!!

Sunday was a different story. I was a little sore but felt more energetic. Practice went very well and was looking forward to trying to get my 2nd Intermediate win. Then I saw the moto sheet:

Moto #51 - 36+ Expert:

Jason Melton - Expert
Wayne McCabe - Expert
Bruce Ritter - Expert
Rich Hardy - Expert
Jason Gallo - Inter

What happened to all my intermediate class? Sheesh! While I'll admit I was a little upset to pay $30 to be put in the Expert class, I was looking forward to trying to compete against these guys. Other than Melton, I had never raced against these guys, so it should be fun to see how I stack up. 1st moto I felt I got a great gate, but got seriously pulled down the 1st straight as was already 2 bike lengths behind the 4 place rider (Ritter). I was able to catch up a little down the 2nd straight, but got a little weird in the rhythm so shut it down to save energy for the 2nd moto. (BTW, I don't remember seeing McCabe and Melton out in front, they were flying!)

2nd moto I was surprisingly relaxed and got a great a great gate and 1st straight. I was pretty even with Ritter coming into the 1st straight, but the "Almighty" took a perfect line into the first turn and struck me down. Try as I might I couldn't catch him, but only ended up about a bike length or so behind at the finish line.

Had a great time out there racing, and thought I put down a couple pretty fast laps (for me), but still came up a little short against the experts. The good news is that Saturday had 2 racks of 28-35 Novice and Sunday had a full gate, so hopefully a few of those guys will move up soon and we can put an Inter class together.

By the way, did I mention I was on platforms? :)

A couple observations:

Boy, if anyone thinks the girls take it any easier than the guys, they didn't watch the racing on Sunday! Between Heather Allred and Ashley Grubb(?), and the Girls cruiser with Dani Donner, there was some great racing going on!

Robby Patterson. How you got up and walked away from that crash in the rhythm I'll never know! Until you landed, it was a pretty sweet old school table top. The bike was perfectly flat, unfortunately, so were you! LOL :D

Ian Elliot and Heather Allred. What can I say that hasn't already been said? I probably passed by their trailer at least 50 times during the weekend, and every single time at least one of them (if not both) were working on a bike. What would we do without you? It's a flat out crime the venue charges you $75 a day to spend your entire weekend helping others. I bet I can count on one hand the number of practice laps I & H got in over the weekend.... combined!

Steve Spencer (and all of the volunteers that helped build the track). Thank you Thank you THANK YOU once again for building an AWESOME track and challenging us with new obstacles. And a special thanks for the small step-up into the last turn, it was a confidence builder for me to jump.

I can't name everyone (not enough memory or space), but THANKS to all those I spoke to over the weekend that had nice things to say about the website and calendars. It really does mean alot to me and make all the hours of effort worthwhile.
Gallo
"The ability to walk fully upright is overrated. Along with tying your own shoes."

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:04 pm

thanks to everyone who showed up at rad tis weekend and all those who helped. I agree with you jason about the vending fees and not being able to sell stuff around the arena, but the county is gun ho about charging the 75.00 a day to anyone who sells at any of their facilitys. they evan want us to charge for the out door, but we have got that under control, but the indoor we have no control over that and I have personally gone the rounds with art,tad,heath. SORRY IAN AND HEATHER and all the rest who want to sell their old stuff to a new rider or just someone who needs it. but I have talked to Ian and Heather and they said that they would sell the stuff through their trailor so not a complete lost. And MIkE and DAN sorry about not getting your trailors in but everyone wanted a bigger track and their just wasn't the room to fitt every thing in the arena, but I think all in all everyone had fun. thanks tp.arreial,ray and the other pros it was a fun weekend.

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:07 pm

- Stout, you are now known as the "Ned Flanders" of BMX. I guess I really should watch my potty mouth around you. :oops:

- Jason Stout, the KING of Race for Life! My 1 RFL'r just practiced & took a pretty bad header on his first lap but brushed it off. I talked to his dad today & he wants to start racing, yeah!

- Ian & Heather, well said guys. I walked by, seeing them wrench or talking to people non-stop. Heather was even building a complete once. One of these days I'm going to blow off racing & volunteer my night to changing tires, changing gears, answering questions & just helping out.

- Mike Kelly, sells himself short! Your ALOT better than you think you are. Setting your goals to beat me is setting them waay too low.

- Me racing my 20". Since Bryan has turned, Iv'e only had a few chances to race it. This weekend was only my 2nd back, I don't race on Friday nights period. Saturday was the RFL & I wasn't even going to race, but got on my cruiser last minute. It didn't butt up against Mikes & Vincents class. Sunday I did race 20". Listen, Iv'e heard the grumblings & I'm back racing, I'll be racing my 20" exclusively, all through the indoor season & as much as I can in the outdoor.

- Jason Melton., I was impressed that he raced on plats. He showed me a side that I haven't seen for a really long time, that winning isn't everything. He comes across at times just being a machine, same gate, same lap, same this, same that. Actually changing something as drastic as your pedals is really a big deal. I surprised me big time. Good job Melton. A flat-pedal only race is in the works now & will be coming up soon, stay tuned.

- Rob Passey, I wasn't sure he won, he did? I watched that race & what a race! The 28+ novices were awesome.

- All the people who made a donation, one way or another. Thanks!

- Rob Anderson, after being somewhat worried about him being new TO, he has proven that he's more than capable of handling the job. Good job. Same with Halliday & all the others helping out.

- Roland announcing ruled.
- Devontae Moore smoking his class all weekend long, killer!
- Pam Healey showing me this picture of a race out at Tooele with snow on the ground. Travis was shorter than me, that should tell you how old it was.
- Seeing alot of old faces, the Proctors from Idaho Falls, The Almonds from Preston, & Angilina Mannini.
- Mitch Ropalato is the next big thing out of the state. There are alot of great riders here but he's definatly special.
- I'm not naming names...but someone needs to tell a certain newer rider that BMX is a contact sport, every now & then your going to get pimped, pushed, put-over, put-down or cut-off. If your not prepared for this, go join a bowling league.

- The Pro Show. Lets just say i'm already thinking about next year & again putting it on top of the indoor RFL event. I had some friends stop in just to see the pros race. Next year I would like to have alot more lead time to promote it so we can get a much bigger purse & turnout from other states. Our hometown pros don't get to race any big events other than the national & in Aire's case NEVER, so I would like to make this an annual event that just keeps getting bigger & bigger. Maybe next year if promoted right, a girls pro class could be had with a decent pro purse(?) along with the guys class.

- Did I hear that Josh Hult is moving here?

- Gallo, You see an open door you take it, ESPECIALLY on flats! That's the only advice I'm giving you. :wink:

I'm sure I could have more to say but I'm really tired & my dog wants to go play. One more thing, the Utah BMX scene is looking as strong as Iv'e ever seen it, keep the ball rolling & promote the sport as much as you can.

b.

J Gallo
Web Guy

Postby J Gallo » Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:32 pm

Gallo, You see an open door you take it, ESPECIALLY on flats! That's the only advice I'm giving you.

Don't tempt me :) I'm gonna be training pretty hard for the next 2 weeks for the next indoor racing. Too bad we probably won't get a chance to race again! :? :D
Gallo
"The ability to walk fully upright is overrated. Along with tying your own shoes."

mackdaddy
Resident Sushi Expert

Postby mackdaddy » Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:33 pm

Random thoughts
Bnd- ya think I'm a machine- thanks! I like it!

Rob and Dave- Thanks for all the work and help you guys put into the track!!!

Steve- Awesome job again, for those who dont know we had to do alot of diggin this time to go the little dirt we did have. He was also very sick, We owe you much Steve!!!!!!

Registration Babes- I dont know who all was over there working but you wonderful Ladies did a great job of getting the show going!!!! You ladies do a wonderful job, Keep doing the Voodoo you do!!!! LOL

Roland- What can I say YOU THE MAN!!!!!!!!!!!! Great Job

Pros- Thanks for some great racing and a class act all weekend!

Jason G- Thanks for the Calendars and the great photos!!!! You are doing so much to promote the sport!

Travis- I love the videos!!!!!! Great job and thanks for letting us see what the races are like from others view point!!! Keep it up!

To the volunteers- Tracy and Jaunita, Dan Donner, The Dales, The Smiths, and All the others who helped with the track, THANKS!!!! You guys are the best and we are happy to have your help!!!

To all the racers and parents- Thanks for coming out and showing up! We had a great weekend and the racing was some of the best ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Big thanks goes out to the out of towners, we enjoyed having you here!!!
Jason Melton
Overland Group
jmelton@overlandcorp.com
http://www.jasonsellsslc.com
(801)860-9357

mackdaddy
Resident Sushi Expert

Postby mackdaddy » Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:40 pm

Oh yeah
Thanks for all those who donated item for the raffle, give aways and mystery motos!!!!!! Thanks thanks thanks!
Jason Melton
Overland Group
jmelton@overlandcorp.com
(801)860-9357

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:00 pm

"That Melton is out there. It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead" ......"Plus, it never gets a bad gate!" :D

b.[/i]

mackdaddy
Resident Sushi Expert

Postby mackdaddy » Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:06 pm

Rolling on the floor!!!! LMAO!!!!! :lol:
Jason Melton
Overland Group
jmelton@overlandcorp.com
(801)860-9357

Curtis Newkirk
Photog Extraordinaire

Postby Curtis Newkirk » Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:48 am

That was truly an amazing weekend. It provided the most physical and aggressive racing I have seen in Utah yet. Fazzio was on a tear. Maybe he should change his name from sunshine to nuclear warhead. He did not just race hard, he raced with 'passion'.

One of the best exchanges was the Pro Main on Saturday. TP was nearly T-boned as Holt tried to knock his rear tire out around the sweeper. TP then throws a pitch-out going over the middle double. Holt & Huntsman then dove under TP in turn two, but TP goes on to win by a nose. I have some pics of this exchange that are quite revealing. Jason - can we upload pics into this board?

Had some great conversation too. I would hardly call Stout a Flanders though. If that is the case then I am definitely Homer :) :lol:

While exciting, I have got to say that it was exhausting as well...and I didn't even race. One of our big challenges is making sure that our litlte family has a good time and this can be quite tricky at larger races. I will be out racing weekend after next though. I heard a lot of things at the clinic that I am looking forward to practicing.

C you all then!

P.S. - Melton - did you get my emails yet?
~Curtis

Gallo

Postby Gallo » Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:08 pm

Jason - can we upload pics into this board?

We can't upload INTO this board, but if you want to email them to me, I'll host them on the site and post them for you!

jgallo@utahbmx.com

J

Curtis Newkirk
Photog Extraordinaire

Postby Curtis Newkirk » Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:25 pm

Jason,

I sent you the TP pics and will insert them later. I will try to put together a gallery of some of the other shots and get them to you as well.

Thanks!
~Curtis

J Gallo
Web Guy

Postby J Gallo » Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:20 pm

Here's the pics Curtis promised!!

Gallo

Return to “Race Reports”