JS on Rad's indoor racing Feb 8th and 9th!

File race reports and post pictures here! Enquiring minds want to know!

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

D Dale
GT

Postby D Dale » Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:21 am

Here are my .02 cents.....

1. Thanks to everyone that helps at the track. Coming from experience it is alot of time and energy.

2. I agree with Greg. The majority of the crashes weren't due to track conditions but intense riding. There were so many great races this weekend. Comin from a new spectator Thanks everyone for making it exciting to watch each and every race.

3. We were very spoiled the weekend of the RCQ and RFL. The track was bigger, there was more help, and there was more dirt to work with. So last weekend the track was smaller, not enough help on the track and less time to do so. LET ME REMIND YOU THAT YOU SHOULD BE GRATEFUL THAT YOU ARE RACING AT ALL. Alot of work goes into putting together an indoor season. BITD, when we first started racing we raced indoor Logan. Wood table tops, a small building that smelled horrible. But it was a place to race. Others took the their time to arrange for us to have a place to ride in the winter and we were grateful. Now, we have the Events Complex and what a change from Logan BITD.

So, I will stop rambling and just say that until you have done what the Rad crew, Darren and Diana, the Healey's and Parry's have done to provide Utah with a place to race in the winter than just be grateful that you had a place to ride this winter instead of dreaming about it.

Darla

Dave W
28-35 State Champ

Indoor

Postby Dave W » Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:59 am

First off I wanted to say thanks to everyone that builds the tracks and does all the background legwork to pull these races off. I started taking my son to Rad outdoor during the middle of last year. He got hooked and talked crap about how he was faster than me until I came out and tried(teasing from a 7 yr old?) Needless to say I have become addicted. I feel almost out of control with exitement for the next race. I could hardly wait between the races of the indoor series. I really looked forward to this last race, but was saddened at the same time because I knew it was the last for awhile. On Friday I rode around the track and thought wow this doesn't feel smooth through the rythm's. I did notice a difference on Saturday. I still couldn't help think about the last time I rode in a bmx race, it was around 81 on cement with wood jumps at the fair grounds. I just remember it was fun but scary. What a contrast to a sweet indoor facility with a dirt track. Anyway I guess I need to apologize for not showing up to help. The last few times I have I felt like a UDOT worker standing around with a shovel or rake. I guess that was a bad excuse I should've came not assuming that everyone else would take care of it. I have had so much fun through the indoor season, I can't believe that it runs so smoothly, especially since it seems that the bulk of all operations are done by volunteers. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you, to all who make it happen. I feel like I just get to reap the rewards of good times with one of my passions, riding with my son, and feeling the comradery of everyone at the tracks. I'm going off a little here but I mean it. I want to thank everyone who seems to automatically go out of the way to explain processes, and stuff related to the races in general. I especially want to thank those who have assisted in feedback ,coaching, and encouragement for my son and I. When my son didn't make it out of the semi's in Reno Jordan Smith was standing at the finish line and told my son how great he did just as I thought his heart was breaking. Cody Kelly has taken him aside and encouraged him as well. That kind of stuff is invaluable to me as a father, I struggled to not get emotional. Thank you everyone who has taken there time to teach me tips and skills to be better. I've actually recorded a lot of races and have studied peoples styles so many of you have helped me without even knowing you have. Several have done so consciously as well, Jason Stout, Mike Kelly, Ian, Heather, Jason M, Steve S, Cody Kelley, TR, Bryan O, Rusty, Brandon Smith thanks so much. I hope to one day be as fast as you are and be able to share the insights with other new people. We have something special in our Utah BMX environment, the people that make it happen. Thank You.

Dave Williams

Curtis Newkirk
Photog Extraordinaire

Postby Curtis Newkirk » Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:12 pm

I had a great weekend and never even rode the track! I intended to, but never had the time to fix my bike and now I regret it. That tabletop was a little steep on the front and proportioned kind of funny, but that is racing. They do call them "obstacles" for a reason :P It certainly provided Bennett some challenges which (I hope) will improve his riding skill. He really biffed it on the table after Sundays race and I know that learned him a thing or two.

I had a blast shooting all those pictures. I feel kinda bad for dumping them all on Dr. Gallo, but I never intended for him to post ALL of them! Good job as always Jason. You are running an amazing site. My only regret was that I had my camera set to slightly underexpose the shots so it would make them more clear. This is why they are a tad dark. Shooting indoors with no flash is always a challenge.

My hat goes off to all of the volunteers. I mean it. We have only been doing this eight months now and I am amazed at the cooperative effort that goes on behind the scenes. I remember Bennetts first few races at Rad. I was continually telling all my non-BMX friends how amazing the facility and teamwork was. I am still floored. You guys all do a great job and I am not even going to try to name names because there have got to be at least 40 people in that group.

We will be looking forward to this coming season. Until then I hope to see some of you at Pasco or San Bernardino!

THANKS!!
~Curtis

Return to “Race Reports”