JS on Pasco '05

File race reports and post pictures here! Enquiring minds want to know!

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

JasonStout
GT

JS on Pasco '05

Postby JasonStout » Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:06 am

What's up Utah? I better get this blog in before I head out of town tomorrow. I'm going to Las Vegas for a volleyball tourney. My guys are playing for the conference championship. We will try to avenge our basketball team by beating Arizona in the final! I'll let ya'll know how that goes! My job is easy- I'm just the coach!

Happy Anniversary to me! I turned Expert exactly one year ago at the Pasco national. I walked up to the ABA guy in the trailer to register, and I casually mentioned I wanted to turn myself expert. I had just won the Phoenix national in the Inter class- from lane 8 even, so I was thinking I was pretty fast. I only had 14 wins so I was turning a little early. The ABA guy wiped the customer service grin off of his face and said, "You know, you can never go back......!" Then started to laugh like the grim reaper. That was the first time I ever took it seriously. What a year it has been. It brought the novelty of racing back full swing. Every race is a challenge to just qualify- let alone podium! On the national level, I'm sitting on the bubble every race! With 5 guys from my class moving up to vet pro, I'll have a better chance of making more mains at nationals. Best of luck to David Wray, Chad Roberts, Drew Downey, and you other two!

There is quit a gap from Inter to Expert. Anyone who is in racing long enough knows that. I'm sure soon to be expert Newkirk feels the difference, even though he's 5 years old. The gap between local racing and national calliber racer is a large one to fill as well. This weekend, a lot of Utah riders showed they could do it!

Shoutin' out to the Utah crew!

Jordan Smith- you were looking strong every lap! It's great to see you compete with all you have! Keep it up. Your 3rd on Sat was awesome. You earned it, and you raced hard all day to get it!

Jeremiah- Congrats on making your mains on both bikes!! Your class is unbelieveable! 16 year olds, not to mention you know the ABA national #1 amatuer- Oie, is gonna be in the gate with you every race!

T.H.- You're on your way! Just keep it up! Very impressive racing.

Cody and Mike- You guys are born racers! Congrats on your finishes. If anyone needs an illustration of what a game face looks like, take a look at these two Kelley boys- then you'll know. Happy 46th Mike! It's your half of a decade!! Great main Cody!

Meltons!- You guys know how to win! Congrats on assembling a competative racing team! Congrats on the 2nd! How did you end up on Sun? Jason- I can see you are on your way back to the top! Keep it up! I'm gonna do my best to train you on the local track as much as possible! It was strange not racing you at the national. Good thing I have another Jason to race- The Grandmaster! What's Nancy up to. I haven't seen her around much.

Joe! You have talent. Don't let results get you down. You're still a great racer! Keep up the great style!

Phoenix!-Congrats on your finishes this weekend. You are surrounded in the gate by NAG riders. Way to make your mains, and compete with those top riders!

Bennett- keep it up! You know, you remind me of Haley Joe Osmond the way you speak like you're 25, and not 5. Best of luck to you during your last days as an inter. Remember, "you can never go back!- HA HA HA HAR!!" ;)

So there I was...

I walked into the Pasco TRAC arena after a 9 hour drive from the Oregon coast. I-84 is beautiful on that stretch. Spring break started fantastic- and only got better as it went. I mentioned a little about that last post. It was Friday, and I'd seen enough light houses, beaches, coastlines, sunsets, and sea life for now- It's time to race! I walked 2 feet in the door and ran straight in to Rob Passey. I boldly asked him if we could crash on his floor. He was happy to put Shellie and I up. We did our usual banter about Phoeney's gear. It was great to catch up with you Rob. Thanks for the hospitality. And thanks to the Fazzio's for the tip about the rooms on Priceline.com! I spent Friday night calling for my buddy 'ralph' through the porcline pipes-but eventually got some good rest.

I got up about 7:00 a.m. to assemble my bikes and get a few laps. My first lap I think I bonked every obstacle there was to bonk! The whole day was like that. My skills were well below what that track required. I rolled everything, or manualed and came up short. I need some more track time! Summertime-hurry up! I had 14 riders in cruiser, and 10 in class. The odds were good; 2-2. I qualified taking first in the second round for both bikes. I made mains, so the pressure was off.

The gate was down in 26-30 cruiser. I had an okay gate, and filed in sitting 4th place. I watched the craziest race I'd ever seen. On video, the 3 guys ahead of me produced 6 lead changes! I kept looking for a line, but it was like trying to get through a turbine engine! Moves were made every corner and every straight. Finally on the last straight third place, who lead 3 times already made a divebomb move right into 1st's tire. They pretty much exploded in front of me. Bikes and bodies covered the track in front of me. I swerved to my right, put some chalk on the tires, and scrambled to the luckiest 2nd place I've ever had.

Class was okay. I had a good snap out of the gate, and then the first obstacle came. I rolled it, and watched the leaders get away. I got passed on the second straight and landed in 5th. I held "The grandmaster" off until the line! 5th- I'll take it.

It was a great weekend of racing! I think the weekend was a good time, and more successful than usual for many riders.

On the drive home that night, I talked to Ian on my cell phone. He told a memorable story about his last night with his dog. Ian has a heart of gold- no wonder he's so selfless with the racers that frequent his trailer. If he's that kind to animals, he's for sure that kind to people! We missed you and Heather there! Thanks for working on Rad Canyon with Steve Spencer! I can't wait to see your work.

BMX rules!

Peace out

JS

Return to “Race Reports”