Montrose and Grand Junction

File race reports and post pictures here! Enquiring minds want to know!

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

Wayne_McCabe

Montrose and Grand Junction

Postby Wayne_McCabe » Tue Jun 01, 2004 8:49 am

On our way to Montrose Saturday morning we encountered a huge rain storm all the way to Grand Junction. It was raining so bad in Grand Junction that we called down to Montrose to see if they would even be racing on Saturday, turns out the storm didn't hit Montrose that bad so we kept trekking. We arrived in Montrose around 12, checked into our hotel and then proceeded to the track. The track was a freeway, from the gate to the finish line you didn't stop pedalling once. It about killed me. I was running my flats this weekend and boy was it killing my quads, haven't used them in a while. Rick Eglintine was representing Utah in the 36-40 class, a great guy to have representing Utah. We brought the 36-40 Moto-in-a-Van from Denver (Jerry Elder, Jeff Yeary and myself). We had six guys in class and about 36 motos.
First moto - Rick snaps the gate and its catch up time for the rest of us. I pulled down the first straight, pedalling the whole straight, not stopping for any jumps and get past Rick before the first turn. From there is was a train ride to the finish line. I transfer out. Second Moto, Rick snaps again with Jerry Elder on his tail, Jerry trys to make a move in the second turn but goes down. Rick and Jeff Yeary transfer out. 3rd moto, Jerry and Gary Jefferson transfer out.
In the main, I was in gate 1, Jeff in 2, Rick and Gary in ?(3-5), and Jerry in Gate 8. Again, Rick kills the gate, Jeff and I hold hands as we take a Sunday stroll out of the gate. I start powering down the first straight trying to catch Rick. Rick does the smart thing and comes from his gate to my line and starts shutting me down. I kindly ask him to give me some room so we can race and he obliges. We go into the first turn side by side, returning the gentlemenly favor, I do not slam into Rick. I stay inside the turn, one foot off the pedal doing the old-school foot block in case someone is trying to come inside. Going down the second straight, Rick gets a little squirrely, I start coming inside. I gave Rick a love-tap in the second corner and I loose the battle. Rick goes on for the win, Jerry Elder comes by for second. I get third.
Yes, Utah 1 - Colorado 0.
On Sunday morning, it was only the Moto-in-a-Van total points race for the RFL. Jerry, Jeff and I had a great time.
Went to Grand Junction Sunday afternoon to race the 2nd state race. Showed up at the track and my jaw dropped. I have never seem such a horrible track. I was embarrassed that the Grand Junction track operators thought the track was ready and suitable for a state race. We had people travel from Utah, New Mexico and Denver (which is a longer drive than the drive from SLC to Grand Junction) to race and I was so dissappointed. After taking a few practice laps, I decided I was not going to support a track that did not take the effort to provide us with a safe and fun track. I will support anyone who is putting in the time to promote BMX; however, I do not feel the Grand Junction TOs put in anytime. The Moto-in-a-Van packed and left back for Denver. No rematch for the Denver trio and Mr. Eglintine. Utah 2 - Colorado 0.
Rick had a fun time racing you in Montrose. Hope to see all of you in August at Dacono.
Jason, take it away for the Grand Junction report.
P.S. That guy racing Rick in one of your photos, is a guy from Colorado Springs named Shannon. Did you check out his bike? It was the Hutch he use to race back in 1987. Dude is totally old-school and really fast.

Wayne McCabe

J Gallo
Web Guy

Grand Junction, CO Race Report

Postby J Gallo » Tue Jun 01, 2004 11:26 am

First off, thanks Wayne for taking the time to come over and give us a report from your side, it's much appreciated. It was good seeing you, even though it was only for a few minutes :)

Well, try as I might to get up early enough to make the morning race in Montrose, it just didn't happen. Got out about 7am and headed for Grand Junction. Pulled in a little after 11 and cruised through town to find the track. Hilltop BMX track was easy to find located in the Mesa County Fairgrounds. Only a couple people were there so decided to go grab some lunch at Wendy's and fill up the car with gas (which I'm really glad I did since racing didn't finish as early as I thought it might).

Got back to the track around noon and meandered around and took a few pics of the track. At that time I noticed the condition of the track. I think Wayne pretty much said it all above so I don't need to add much. The only thing I can add is this: I took my first lap, came up over the 1st step up and coming down the backside just about crashed when I ran over a pretty big rock in the 1st straight. In fact there were a ton of rocks. Of course I pulled over and picked them all up the best I could. I was pretty shocked they were even there. Alot of people drove a long way to race, including myself, so it was quite disappointing.

About this time more people began to show up from Montrose, including the Eglintine's. Rick said the racing was running behind so alot of people wouldn't be showing up for awhile. I confirmed this when I went to register @ 1pm and they said it was open yet and they would be holding it for awhile until more riders came up from Montrose.

Eventually more Utahn's showed up. The Dale's, Giles, Pattersons, and finally Ian and Heather. Heather was pretty sore from a couple crashes in Montrose so she didn't race, and I think Ian decided not to race after seeing the condition of the track.

Racing finally got started around 4:30pm. Sheldon and I ended up in the same class along with 4 other CO riders. It was 3 moto transfer and taking 1-2-2. I had a good gate in moto 1 and had the inside going into turn 1. Just couldn't catch up to a local rider (Chris?) and he took the transfer. 2nd moto got a bad gate, but was able to get the inside and took the lead. Still had it coming up the last turn, but lost my pedal, twice, and Mike Tabor sneaked past and beat me to the line, but we both transfered. 3rd moto action had Sheldon trying to transfer. He took the high line in the 2nd to last turn and a rider came up underneath him. They went bar to bar, but Sheldon held his ground and came out of the turn in front and held on for the transfer. I had the worst gate for the main (8), loose and on the far outside. I got a great gate but was unable to catch up to Chris(?) and Mike who took 1 and 2 respectively and I ended up 3rd. Sheldon ended up 4th I believe?

Other race notes: Rick looked fast on a slow track. I believe he ended up taking 2nd. He also took a couple practice laps on a 20" :) Great, someone else I get to lose to :)

Jake Eglintine raced very well, but had to go up against an "aggressive" rider. In the 1st moto, Jake took the inside after the 1st turn and was just about to pass, and the other rider came inside and pretty much pushed him off the track. I didn't see the main but I believe about the same thing happened.

Worst/Best race note: Cameron Giles crashed on the flag lap and was hit by another rider. From our pit, we couldn't see who went down cause a table top was in the way. Once we got over there, he complained of tailbone pain, and had a couple good lumps on his lower back. They took him to the hospital to check him out, and the good news is he'll be sore, but nothing seriously wrong. He was back on a bike riding as we were packing up to leave.

I don't remember how the Dale kids ended up in their mains, so if Darla or Sheldon see this let us know.

Overall I had a great time despite the track conditions, which did improve a little as the racing went on. We didn't finished racing until a little after 7 so I didn't make it home until almost midnight. I'm still glad I went, but I wish I could have made the Montrose race cause it sounded like everyone had a great time down there.

Hope I can get the time off to find my way out to Dacono. :)

Oh, almost forgot. I want to give a big shout out to Dan Patterson. There was a guy running the gate, but no one was staging. Dan took that over and did a great job. There was alot of confusion at first, with 2nd moto riders trying to get up the hill while we were still trying to finish the 1st motos. Thanks Dan!
Gallo
"The ability to walk fully upright is overrated. Along with tying your own shoes."

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:09 pm

Sounds like a good time. Funny thing about those tracks down there. Back in 98' I went down to Montrose for a big weekend & I raced on a track that was straight out of 1976, no lie! They had a rope attached to the gate the starter would pull to activate it. He also shouted the cadence. Needless to say I didn't bring my platforms with me & it cost me bigtime as I couldn't race on the track after the first turn, there was a ton of rocks & loose dirt after that.

Maybe a friendly e-mail to the T.O.'s of Grand Junction to join us here and learn from that experiance.

Wayne, you pulled Rick while on platforms!!? Damn....

b.

rythum time
Schwinn

Postby rythum time » Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:34 pm

Thanks Wayne for the play by play on Sat. racing! I enjoyed racing with you and the rest of the CO. gang that were there. :D I was hoping for round two in Grand Junction but I understand and agree with the poisition that you took not racing. It was very dissappointing to travel that distance and have the track be in terriable shape. :cry: See ya in Dacono.

Jason, thanks for the pictures! Talking about looking fast, :shock: WOW! I which I had a video camera to film your moto's, you looked good.

Add Heather to the crash list. While leading in Sat. race Heather got a little squirrely on the last straight and went down. Then Sunday morning she was not finished testing the CO. soil and went over the first turn. She walked away from both crashes and will be giving a full report on the soil samples. :wink:

Rick

J Gallo
Web Guy

Postby J Gallo » Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:39 pm

Thanks Rick, but I sure didn't feel fast in that sand :(

And we all forgot to mention one other point of major interest. Big state race. 35 motos. 100+ riders. Numerous spectators.

1 porta-potty.

Go figure.
Gallo
"The ability to walk fully upright is overrated. Along with tying your own shoes."

Wayne_McCabe

Postby Wayne_McCabe » Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:00 pm

I heard from a fellow racer here in Denver that the TO just took over the track and was handed the mess. I also heard that the TO was pretty much in tears by the end of race day because of people's complaints. I am not sure what my reaction is to any of these comments, I am just posting to let you know what I heard.
It sounds like you guys who stayed around had fun. I was pretty tired when we arrived at Grand Junction and the prospect of staying there to sacrifice sleep and not feel up to par on Monday was just too much. My buddy, Jerry had to be to work at 4am, I had family coming into town on Monday morning, so the decision to go home early won over riding the track in its condition.
What is so funny is that I think we will have a similar reaction to County Line BMX here in Littleton, CO (my hometown) when people come here to race the Redline Cup in July. I hope the TOs and South Suburban take note and get that track fixed up more before trying to entertain a bunch of enthusiasts who have come from hundreds of miles around to race. I will try my best to convey the message. County Line is much better shape than Grand Junction, but in my mind not in good enough shape to host a Redline Cup.
I appreciate you guys letting me come onto your forum and talk BMX, I have tried to get the forum going on my site for months and in just one month, your community has utilized your forum twice as much as mine.
Thanks,
Wayne

J Gallo
Web Guy

Postby J Gallo » Wed Jun 02, 2004 7:47 am

I appreciate you guys letting me come onto your forum and talk BMX

Wayne, please feel free to come in anytime and let us know what's coming up and going on in CO. I know quite a few people like to travel over to CO to race, so it's nice to be informed. We appreciate everything you do to help the sport of BMX :)

Jason

Darla

Postby Darla » Wed Jun 02, 2004 9:07 am

Thanks guys for all the updates. It was a fun weekend in Co. except for the track conditions in Grand Junction. I was very disappointed when we pulled up. It was so soft, a paddle tire would have been nice. Sheldon had gate 8 in the first moto and when the gate dropped you couldn't even see him through the dust, when he came out, he came to a complete stop.

I would just like to say that Utah volunteers and T.O's rock!!!! In my opinion anyone that complains about our tracks needs to come to this site and check out the track conditions in Grand Junction. It isn't easy running a track and without volunteers it is nearly impossible.

Here is how the weekend went for the Dale family.

Saturday

Shelon 36 and over Inter 1st
Colton 12 expert 2nd
Brody 8 expert 2nd

Sunday (Montrose)

Colton 2nd
Brody 2nd

Sunday (Grand Junction)

Sheldon 4th
Colton 3rd
Brody 2nd

Mondy, we decided that racing that track once was enough and so Heather and Ian, the Giles and the Dale's went to Moab. Wow!!!

I had never been there and pictures just don't do it justice. It was amazing.

All in all a great weekend with great friends. Thanks Jason for the pictures.

Hardys
Huffy

Postby Hardys » Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:40 pm

Hey everybody! We're sorry we couldn't make it to share in the fun. Sounds like some good racing! Good job Rick! Told ya you would do well in the midst of good comp. (Especially you Wayne!) Hopefully I'll see you in Dacono. Rich.
R&K

Return to “Race Reports”