Race report from Bakersfield, California! May 29-30th 2004

File race reports and post pictures here! Enquiring minds want to know!

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

Jason Stout

Race report from Bakersfield, California! May 29-30th 2004

Postby Jason Stout » Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:57 pm

After looking at the weather report Rob and Phoenix Passey, and I headed west to the spring nationals in sunny CA.

After a warm and productive few practice sessions, we registered Phoenix, grabbed some track food, and settled in for Friday's prerace.

The weather was great, and so was the racing. Phoenix easily qualified for his main event against some fast 9 experts!

His Main event was eventful with Phoenix coming out of the gate in 3rd, and making a great pass on the outside in turn 2. He was sitting second going into the 3rd turn. The third turn was tight and Phoenix couldn't hold on. He went low then high and lost his backend sending his bike into a shiver. It was too much for Phoenix to handle. He trembled down the burm and wrecked on the inside of the track. He saved himself from injury, but not his podium finish. He took 8th overall in the pre-race.

Saturday was a new day.

I raced 26-30 cruiser and 28-35 expert.

In cruiser-I qualified for my semi the first round behind a fast NAG rider, beating some fast riders. I had a suprisingly good first run that set the stage for a confident day.

Class was a different story. I didn't even make it to my semi. I tried too hard,and didn't ride my race. I found myself making rookie mistakes like trying to pedal too much, instead of riding smooth. A lesson I hope I learn soon.

My cruiser semi was a mess. I was squeezed right out of the gate. They were taking 4 out of the 6 of us. I had to hit the breaks in order to avoid death over the 2nd obstacle- a moderatly big double. There I was watching my class take off ahead of me. I took the two left corners high, and pumped hard through the rythm section and blasted the 4th place rider, sending him into the 5th place rider and taking their spots. (no one wrecked... what?.... I had to to qualify, man!) Yes sir folks, a little bump and run helped me qualify into my main! I was completly stoked for hours after that move. (It happened to be the current NAG #2 rider who beat me in the SL national)

Coming out of Lane 6 in the main, I had an okay gate. I fought for a position at the front of the pack, but no deal. The first 3 riders were gone! TJ Johnson, the world champ Efirian Miranda, and some other fast dude named Pee Wee Lee (hall of famer who hold over 237,000 aba points more than anyone in history. I couldn't believe I was holding the 4th spot behind these legends! I thought too soon. I held the 4th spot until I went too low in the second corner. I was passed as I slowed down and left the door wide open going too high. Another lesson learned! I ended up with the 5th place out of 21 riders! What an exciting weekend of racing.

PHOENIX PASSEY had 41 riders in each his open and expert classes. The top riders in the country were counted amoung them. Easily made his quarters and semis. Not one 9 year old made it to the 9-10 open. Phoenix gave a great effort and came up short in both class and open. Good thing there is Sunday racing! He sat on the sideline watching his main event standing next to the number one amatuer for this year who also didn't make his main. It's tough at the spring national.

Sunday Phoenix took two motos to get into his class quarters, but easily made it again into all of his semis. His open class proved to be tough again since he races the top riders from both 9 and 10 experts. He made it to his class main!

9 EXPERT main was a tough race. Phoenix got squeezed in the first strait and coudn't find a way through crowd. He went for a pass in the last corner and got his handlebars clipped by the other rider sending him into the dirt again. He did a fantastic job competing against all of the top riders. 8th place in the main was the over all standing. Not bad for 41 riders!

Steve Spencer did really well this weekend. He was fighting some sickness but managed to get a 2nd and 3rd on Saturday,and to 2nds on Sunday. Steve was a great host down there. He invited us to hang out at the STAATS trailer and escape the heat. It gave us a change to get to know some of the pros and the Japanese riders. Thanks again Steve!

Ariel Martin also struggled on Sat, but did well on Sunday. I think she finished 3rd overall in girl pro!

Rob Passey was our pit crew and moral support for the weekend. I think he is catching the bug to get Phoenix on the national tour. Did you all know Rob is a drag car racer? This man has traveled close to 300 mph and has run a quarter mile under 5 seconds!

A fantastic weekend for racing. It sounds like the grand junction track was less than grand.

See you all at the races!

Peace

Jason Stout

J Gallo
Web Guy

Postby J Gallo » Tue Jun 01, 2004 2:24 pm

Thanks for the report Stout! Nice to know Utah riders are representing well at the National races!

As soon as the ABA posts results, I'll post them here in the forum!
Gallo
"The ability to walk fully upright is overrated. Along with tying your own shoes."

J Gallo
Web Guy

Friday Results

Postby J Gallo » Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:39 pm

Here's the Utah rider results from Friday:

9 EXPERT Total Riders = 12
8th Place - PHOENIX PASSEY, TLD/LIZARDS SKINS/PBP, SALT LAKE CITY, UT
Gallo
"The ability to walk fully upright is overrated. Along with tying your own shoes."

J Gallo
Web Guy

Saturday Results

Postby J Gallo » Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:45 pm

GIRLS PRO Total Riders = 13
8th Place - ARIELLE"AIRBORN"MARTIN, ANSWER/NW/SUPERCROSS, CEDAR HILLS, UT

15-16 MIXED OPEN Total Riders = 8
3rd Place - BRET BAGNELL, CANYON BICYCLE, CENTERVILLE, UT

26-30 CRUISER Total Riders = 17
5th Place - JASON STOUT, LOOKING FOR FACTORY, WEST VALLEY CITY, UT

36-40 CRUISER Total Riders = 24
2nd Place - STEVE SPENCER, STAATS, DRAPER, UT

15 INTER Total Riders = 17
6th Place - BRET BAGNELL, CANYON BICYCLE, CENTERVILLE, UT

36 & OVER EXPERT Total Riders = 12
3rd Place - STEVE SPENCER, STAATS, DRAPER, UT
Gallo

J Gallo
Web Guy

Sunday Results

Postby J Gallo » Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:50 pm

Sunday Utah Rider Results:

GIRLS PRO Total Riders = 13
3rd Place - ARIELLE "AIRBORN" MARTIN, ANSWER/NW/SUPERCROSS, CEDAR HILLS, UT

15-16 MIXED OPEN Total Riders = 8
2nd Place - BRET BAGNELL, CANYON BICYCLE, CENTERVILLE, UT

36-40 CRUISER Total Riders = 19
7th Place - STEVE SPENCER, STAATS, DRAPER, UT

9 EXPERT Total Riders = 30
8th Place - PHOENIX PASSEY, TLD/LIZARDS SKINS/PBP, SALT LAKE CITY, UT

15 INTER Total Riders = 14
2nd Place - BRET BAGNELL, CANYON BICYCLE, CENTERVILLE, UT

36 & OVER EXPERT Total Riders = 10
2nd Place - STEVE SPENCER, STAATS, DRAPER, UT
Gallo

JS

Sub Pheonix with Phoenix if you would....thanks...sorry dude

Postby JS » Wed Jun 02, 2004 3:32 pm

like the city.....

spelling corrections.

Return to “Race Reports”