U.R. BMX State Qualifier Brief

File race reports and post pictures here! Enquiring minds want to know!

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

Curtis Newkirk
Photog Extraordinaire

U.R. BMX State Qualifier Brief

Postby Curtis Newkirk » Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:11 pm

We just got all the dust cleaned off from the Vernal State qualifier and I thought I would post an update. I can't vouch for how everyone did because I really could not see much for most of the day due to wind and dust. This is not to disparage the event; they just got hit by an unfortunate (and unstopping) windstorm right before the race started.

The beginning of the day was perfect with low summer temps and a great local crowd, but shortly before the race started the wind let loose. Oh man, did it let loose. Non-stop too. It let go all day and pretty much beat everyone up. About 12:15 it tore off some well placed poles and awnings from a grandstand. In the process one of the 10' x 8" (or so) support poles broke loose, smacked one unlucky spectator in the head, then proceeded to beat up some guys company car so hard it smashed in the roof and rear windshield. I saw it hit that car at least four times. After the third the rear window exploded and...well...quite a mess. The rest of the day was hard for all there, but the U.R. BMX crew came though like true champs.

I think most from SLC were truly amazed at how great the Vernal crew were at pulling off this seemingly impossible event. Tena and crew (from what I hear) had quite a weekend: Volunteeers backed out, the food concessioner got a better deal, they were shorted on trophies, the list goes on, but in the end they did it. And they did it with flair.

The crowd in Vernal blew the Rad crowd away in thier support and enthusiasm. The cheering was wild and crazy, and I don't mean for just their local racers. These folks cheered for ALL racers, and for every moto. I even saw Heather Allred asked for her autograph on a jersey...twice :)

I've gotta tell ya', after what was probably qualifies in the top ten most difficult days of racing I have seen in a near-lifetime of cycling, the U.R. BMX Crew gets my nod as the most inspiring bunch I have ever seen. As much as I say I would like to avoid a day like today, you guys really encourage me and I can't wait until we come back.

Just turn down the fan next time, OK ;)
~Curtis

Tena

SQ , Vernal

Postby Tena » Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:51 am

Curtis,
:D Hey THANK YOU!!!!!!!, I really don't know what to say. I felt so bad about the wind and the accident, that I just wanted to go and hide!
:D

:D :D I WANT TO THANK ALL THE OUT OF TOWN RIDERS,
YOU ARE ALL AWSOME, THANK YOU FOR YOUR
SUPPORT, FOR PUTTING UP WITH THE WIND,
AND FOR ALL YOUR HELP!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

:D Thank you, Curtis for the kind words :D , I hope you all come back and race with us again. I truelly wish the weather had been better. But all of you helped to make our S.Q. Race the success that it was. AGAIN, YOU ARE ALL AWSOME!!!!

:shock: I don't know who all is aware of the fact that we could loose our track, the end of August, but it could happen. Our Land is leased by the recreation dept. in Vernal, from the Uintah County School District, and it is up the end of August, and without ALOT of possitive input we could loose it. But if that happens, we will find another place to put it. If anyone would like to give us some help and support with some possitive input,
you could write a letter to the Uintah County School District, or the Uintah Recreation District, or even the Editor of our local papers. If anyone would like to help us out this way, please e-mail me @ (flutterbytd@yahoo.com) .

:D AGAIN, I WOULD LIKE TO THANK ALL OF YOU FOR SUPPORTING OUR TRACK, RACING WITH US AND BEING SO HELPFUL, AND WONDERFUL!!!

:D EVERYONE HAVE A GREAT DAY, AND HOPE TO SEE YOU AT RAD, OR D.P. OR EVEN HERE IN AUGUST!!!!

:D Thank You again, Curtis. :D

:D :D And Our Thanks to all fo you, Tena

[/u]

Return to “Race Reports”