Where are the dirt trails in Utah?

Any topic you want. Put your suit on and enjoy the bubbles. Just don't make your own!

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

JasonStout
GT

Where are the dirt trails in Utah?

Postby JasonStout » Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:33 pm

Anyone know where to catch the big air without the finish line officials around?

Oh- and what are the best downhill courses?

...or are these secrets not to posted on the internet?

Let's discuss?
JS

J Gallo
Web Guy

Postby J Gallo » Fri Aug 06, 2004 11:29 am

I've heard the names Tanner Park and Art Dye trails, but I don't know where they are.

I'm eager to find out myself!

bubbaliciousbmxr
Queen of Sheba

Postby bubbaliciousbmxr » Fri Aug 06, 2004 3:16 pm

The best place i know of is in the big field by the hostess store on 48th and 70th in West Jordan its two jumps, but you can build jumps there, people do all the time.

*And no construction workers can tear it down.* (There's a perk!) :wink:
Dani

J Gallo
Web Guy

Postby J Gallo » Sat Aug 07, 2004 7:56 am

Wow, I've been up to that Hostess store (and Little Caesars, mmmm mmm good Italian Cheese Bread :) ) a ton of times and haven't noticed those jumps, looks like I'll have to ride up there and check it out!
Gallo
"The ability to walk fully upright is overrated. Along with tying your own shoes."

knucks

Postby knucks » Sat Aug 07, 2004 4:17 pm

tanner park is the shiz nit for big hits trust me but the muntain bike scene is rippin them up..no literally breaking all the lips and stuff there are alot of rythem sectionshere you can pull some whips and mad threes but its kinda had to find or describe on the screen no idea where the van dye park is and what is this i hear of the other trails i also know of the trails behind pheonix college have fun any questions i go out on mondays and tuesday ....when the picture guy is not out...bummer

bubbaliciousbmxr
Queen of Sheba

Postby bubbaliciousbmxr » Mon Aug 09, 2004 2:12 pm

The jumps by the hostess store is in the weeds, go east down the street a little bit (it helps if your on a bike) and right by the entrance to the "Tuscany" town homes there should be two jumps. But i know that kids are planning to build more.

Don't try to jump the steeper one backwards, you'll land in a bundle of weeds, and if your not wearing a helmet you'll be pulling stickers out of your ears for a month. (I know a kid who did this, i watched the whole thing, it was actually pretty funny until we saw what he looked like when he stood up. Remember the line in the movie 'The Lion King' when one of the heyina's said "I'm not going in there! I don't wanna come out looking like you catcus butt?" That's what the poor kid looked like.)

Anyways see you all tonite!
Dani

J Gallo
Web Guy

Postby J Gallo » Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:40 pm

I was sent an AWESOME map and directions to Tanner Park from Richard Howell. I will be posting it tonite ( I ran out of time last night after doing the race pics).

Keep an eye out!
Gallo
"The ability to walk fully upright is overrated. Along with tying your own shoes."

J Gallo
Web Guy

Postby J Gallo » Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:32 am

Here's the map and directions!

Tanner Park Map

Please be respectful! Thanks!

JasonStout
GT

Tanner wins!

Postby JasonStout » Sat Aug 14, 2004 6:48 pm

So i started on the little stuff...but got going a little fast and out of control....I bailed and kicked my bike 15 feet off the jump as I rolled to a safe stop. My bike came down hard on the seat and the crank bending it beyond riding.

My day was done the first 15 min. there..... :(

I jumped my buddy's mountain bike a few times and then walked my bike home.

What an adventure! I can't wait to see the trails done up in the Fall.

Ride safe...

JS

c dale

Postby c dale » Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:37 pm

there are some by my house there is a six pack and some more jumps me and my friend chris who races want to build some more big ones. On 700 east and 11400 south. You godown 700 east down to the went worth retirement home turn in there and u will see a dirt field and just go there they are cool. colton dale :P

c dale

Postby c dale » Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:37 pm

there are some by my house there is a six pack and some more jumps me and my friend chris who races want to build some more big ones. On 700 east and 11400 south. You godown 700 east down to the went worth retirement home turn in there and u will see a dirt field and just go there they are cool. colton dale :P

Howell

Lucky to be in UTAH? it's a long read.

Postby Howell » Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:00 pm

Illegal BMX track reconstruction leads to arrests in Austin TEXAS

Official says bikers were in violation by tearing up land
By Daniel K. Lai

In a quiet stretch of land in the West Bouldin Creek Greenbelt, Austin bikers, well-hidden from the naked eye, were hard at work reconstructing a BMX track the city demolished last month because it was deemed a safety hazard.

Armed with shovels, bikes and daredevil spirits, the men, who live for the fast-paced and often dangerous competitive thrills, never realized that their actions were in direct violation of rules set forth by the Austin Parks and Recreation Department; a violation that would soon lead to their arrest and the immediate closure of the course.

The four men, ages 17 to 21, were arrested on Aug. 24 and char-ged with a Class B misdemeanor, punishable by six months in jail and a $2,000 fine.

"The boys were arrested for criminal mischief and destruction of city property," Warren Struess, acting director for the Austin Parks and Recreation Department said. "The case is still pending."

The BMX course was closed because of serious excavation violations, said Struess. The bikers were tearing up parkland without permission, Struess said.

The illegal BMX track was originally built three years ago, following complaints of BMX enthusiasts that Austin's only APRD-run BMX park had become heavily crowded as the sport became more popular, bikers said.

"It's a major part of my life, it's my hobby. It's what I love to do, and I'm going to keep on doing it," said Jason Sunday, one of the young men arrested by park police.

The bikers built the track roughly two miles away from the APRD-run track so they could have more space to perform their daredevil stunts. It went unnoticed until last week, when the city discovered and destroyed it. The bikers were arrested when they were caught attempting to rebuild the track.

Brandon Young, the service department manager at Ozone Bike Department, expressed disgust at the actions of APRD.

"It's crazy. People can get arrested for riding bikes. They put too many restrictions on kids riding bikes in certain areas. It's definitely becoming a problem," Young said. "They should find a way to positively support bike riding for sport or leisure instead of placing so many restrictions on it."

The APRD recognizes the need for a new BMX course and would like to meet with the dissatisfied bikers to plan a well-thought out and environmentally friendly track, Struess said.

"We want the course to meet public safety requirements as well as be environmentally friendly," Struess said.

BMX racing has been "a highly contagious disease" since 1968 and continues to attract thousands of curious participants every year, said Shannon Gillette, spokesman for the American Bicycle Association.

"BMX is a sport catering to the individual. Every rider gets to participate and compete. No one sits on the bench, and no one gets cut from the team," Gillette said.

bubbaliciousbmxr
Queen of Sheba

Postby bubbaliciousbmxr » Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:30 am

What point are you trying to make here???

:wink:
Dani

J Gallo
Web Guy

Postby J Gallo » Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:43 am

I wonder what kind of "BMX" they are really talking about. It sounds like it's not really a "race" track, but more just a dirt jump track.

It's good to know (i hope) that there isn't a law like that in Utah. With as many open fields with jump and parks (like Tanner) out there with jumps, I'd hate to have to worry about being arrested for riding my bike.
Gallo

JasonStout
GT

Postby JasonStout » Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:14 pm

BMX IS NOT A CRIME!....... :P

Return to “UtahBMX Hot Tub”