Bob Osborn from BMXA fame

Any topic you want. Put your suit on and enjoy the bubbles. Just don't make your own!

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

greg
2004 36-40 Cruiser State Champ

Bob Osborn from BMXA fame

Postby greg » Mon Sep 13, 2004 2:31 am

I'm not sure how many of you go to vintageBMX.com, but just thought some of you might want to know that the great OZ has made a return to the BMX world. After a long absense, he has popped up on VBMX.com to relive some old times, give some of that great humor that he is famous for, and just chat. He's going by the name "cosmo" (bet ya haven't heard that name related to BMX for quite some time, huh).

Anyway, it seems to have caused quite a stir among some of us older BMXers, and allot of nice words have been thrown about back and forth. If you grew up as i did wringing your hands as you waited for the next issue of BMXA, then maybe you should go say hi to a true legend in our sport. Or just read what others have said.....quite tear jerking really.

greg

.tread

Postby .tread » Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:11 am

Greg I think there are only a few of us old schoolers around that remember the infamous OZ! I was also one that couldn't wait for the next issue, I thought Haro, RL and Buff were the sh*t. When did you pick up a JMC? I sold my Darrel Young last November, should have held on to it but I have too many old school bikes right now.
Just picked up a 1981 Kuwahara KZ1 that is being restored right now!
Mike :D

greg

Postby greg » Mon Sep 13, 2004 11:01 pm

I've had the JMC for a few years. It actually was one of my best friends bike back when it was new ('79). He GAVE it to me about 4 years ago when my son Spencer started racing. It was Spence's first BMX bike (how cool is that!). Since he has moved on to more modern bikes, it has been sitting in my garage. I've slowly been gathering parts to build it up....araya rb-1 rims, bullseye hubs, redline V-bars, tuffneck stem, maxi-cross cranks, fluted post, kashimax seat, dia-comp hinged seatpost clamp, MX-1000 brakes, oakley III grips, Haro number plate, comp-III tires, NOS sticker set, Repro JMC pads.............I am so close it is just torture.

I also ran across a Kuwahara about a year ago. A guy was sitting in a parking lot on redwood road and about 13th south selling crap out of his van. I caught a glimpse of it as I was driving by, and slammed on my brakes to go check it out more closely. If I'm remembering right, it is a 1981 KZ1, too. Not too bad of shape. Frame and forks are great, in chrome, but the parts were pretty hammered, no wheels, bars broken (they were aluminum V-bars). I swapped out most of the parts now with new school stuff, but maybe someday will change it back to old school. Guess how much???? $10.00!!! I couldn't pass that up, now could I.

I kind of figured that about no one really knowing who OZ was, but you never know. It was a pretty cool having him pop up like that, so I thought maybe someone else might think so too.

I didn't get to go into chat with him on Sunday. Did you? That would have been VERY cool, but just had other things I had to get done.
Greg "how long does it take you to crash" prawitt

.tread

Postby .tread » Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:34 am

I missed the chat as well :cry: But reading his post on VBMX is great! If only RL would show up somewhere!
I picked up the Kuwahara for $4.00 :shock: I have some pics of it but I don't know how to post them here (Jas, could I get some help?).
One of my first race bikes in the Indoors was a JMC Shadow, loved that bike but moved on to a Patterson (wish I still had that one).
The old school bike became an addiction about 4 years ago. There was a time when my garage had about 50 of them. Im now down to 10.
Congratulations on sticking with cruiser all year :D
Mike

J Gallo
Web Guy

Postby J Gallo » Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:36 am

Mike,

Email those pics over ( jgallo@utahbmx.com ) and I'll get them posted :)

J

greg

Postby greg » Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:43 am

I'm still hoping RL, maybe buff, and who knows, maybe bob haro, might show up one day. I don't know how something like BMX can be such a big part of your life, and then just drop out. I mean, you'd have to at least think about it once in awhile, huh. Check things out, see how things have progressed, or declined. Anyway, maybe someday.

WOW, I was stoked about getting the KUWA for 10 bucks, but 4 is just gnarly, man.

thanks for the cruiser remark. I think maybe I'll go for the 20" title in 2005. What do ya think. lol

Greg

tread
Old School Bike Expert

Postby tread » Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:12 am

This year was not good for me in 20" or Cruiser. Broken toes in December, then broken ribs in April :shock: I just kind of faded away from racing. I still ride a lot with Fuzzy and Jim another good friend of mine. Just been riding skateparks and Tim's back yard.
I took my Lime green Skyway Streetbeat to the skatepark a couple months ago, and could not believe the looks of awe from all the kids there.
They that it was awesome, couldn't believe how things have progressed over the last 20 years. Turns out there is a guy in the area that was a simi pro freestyler from BITD who moved to Tooele a few months ago. He pulled out his pink Pro Performer and went wild with Flatland tricks.
Awesome.
Mike

tread
Old School Bike Expert

Postby tread » Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:47 am

Here is the Kuwahara KZ1, just about completed.

greg

Postby greg » Wed Sep 22, 2004 11:36 pm

very nice Kuwa, Mike.

I'll have to pollish mine up and post some pics too.

Return to “UtahBMX Hot Tub”