The other sports activities thread.

Any topic you want. Put your suit on and enjoy the bubbles. Just don't make your own!

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

b2
Not a Troll!

Re: The other sports activities thread.

Postby b2 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:51 pm

Wow Bruce! Great job to you and the dirt diva (hope she's ok) and great write-up! Thats amazing stuff!

Rope
Schwinn

Postby Rope » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:25 am

Mitch takes 21st in downhill at the World Cup at Val di Sole, Italy!!!! Next in two weeks the World Championships in Champery, Switzerland.

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:45 am

Iv'e really lost touch with how Mitch is doing this year Kerry, nice to see you chime in here. How IS everything going? Fill us in!

b.
“Sometimes if you want to see a change for the better, you have to take things into your own hands.”

b2
Not a Troll!

Postby b2 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:53 am

Rope wrote:Mitch takes 21st in downhill at the World Cup at Val di Sole, Italy!!!! Next in two weeks the World Championships in Champery, Switzerland.

Way to go Mitch!

Rope
Schwinn

Postby Rope » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:02 pm

Mitch has had a good season so far, back in April he went to Columbia for the Pan American Continental Championships and finished 4th then later to South Africa for the first World Cup and finished 47th.

In May he won the Giant Slalom at the US Open in New Jersey and took 11th in the Downhill.

Then in June flying from the US Open to Scotland for the second World Cup finishing 47th there also. The next weekend he raced in Austria at the third World Cup finishing in 50th. Finally coming home to head to Sol Vista in Colorado for the TripleDip which he had finishes of 7th, 6th & 3rd for an overall finish of 5th.

First of July he then headed back East to Canada for the forth World Cup at Mont Sainte Anne which he flated in qualifications so he didn't make the finals there. The next weekend found him going south to the fifth World Cup in New York he finished up 41st. The last part of July he headed to Whistler, Bristish Columbia for the Konakee Crankworx bike festival which is still racing however more at fun level with a different bike race every day. His finishes there were a 1st in Dual Slalom, 6th in Canadian Open Downhill, 21st in Air Downhill, 1st in Pumptrack and then a 4th in Giant Slalom, then best of all at the end of the bike festival he was crowned King of Gravity for the best overall podium finishes of the Pro Men.

Which brings us todate with yesterdays finish of 21st at the seventh World Cup in Italy. So now he has the World Championships in Switzerland in a couple of weeks and should finish up the end of September back in North Carolina at the USAC National Gravity Mountain Bike Championships.

And to think this all started at an indoor BMX race in Logan twelve years ago.

b2
Not a Troll!

Postby b2 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:18 pm

can i borrow some of his frequent flyer miles?

and an ounce of his skill?

I love hearing about his travels, races and accomplishments!

and he's always been way cool to my son, Lucas, who's now about 8 and during our first indoor, when Mitch's hair was bleached to a yellow color, he thought Mitch looked like Luke Skywalker on the Legos Star Wars game. So we of course had to tell Mitch and he seemed to get a kick out of it.

Go Mitch Go!

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:30 pm

Dang!!

Thanks for filling us in & tell him good luck for the rest of the season. Has he landed any type of big sponsorship yet? I would imagine you guys see Spencer at alot of those events.

b.
“Sometimes if you want to see a change for the better, you have to take things into your own hands.”

onephastkiss
GT

Postby onephastkiss » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:44 am

Anybody want to form a bmx/ flag football, basketball, softball, bowling, cricket,curling, hurling, twirling????? league or just put a team in an existing league??? lets get some utahbmx bonding/crosstraining going. Or are we just to hooked on two wheelin' fun? winter is right around the corner and any skiers/snowboarders out there that would want to get in on some kind of group discount at a local resort??? just tossing out some ideas. we all know Bruce would be a great point guard, quarterback, catcher/pitcher, WIDE RECEIVER...etc. I heard we have some ex-pro (team sport) athletes in the bmx community. Just tossin' it there. Team KISS :P

b2
Not a Troll!

Postby b2 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:24 am

onephastkiss wrote:Anybody want to form a bmx/ flag football, basketball, softball, bowling, cricket,curling, hurling, twirling????? league or just put a team in an existing league??? lets get some utahbmx bonding/crosstraining going. Or are we just to hooked on two wheelin' fun? winter is right around the corner and any skiers/snowboarders out there that would want to get in on some kind of group discount at a local resort??? just tossing out some ideas. we all know Bruce would be a great point guard, quarterback, catcher/pitcher, WIDE RECEIVER...etc. I heard we have some ex-pro (team sport) athletes in the bmx community. Just tossin' it there. Team KISS :P

i like snowsliding devices, hitting round ball with stick... towards a fence, not a hole.

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:27 pm

onephastkiss wrote:Anybody want to form a bmx/ flag football, basketball, softball, bowling, cricket,curling, hurling, twirling????? league or just put a team in an existing league??? lets get some utahbmx bonding/crosstraining going. Or are we just to hooked on two wheelin' fun? winter is right around the corner and any skiers/snowboarders out there that would want to get in on some kind of group discount at a local resort??? just tossing out some ideas. we all know Bruce would be a great point guard, quarterback, catcher/pitcher, WIDE RECEIVER...etc. I heard we have some ex-pro (team sport) athletes in the bmx community. Just tossin' it there. Team KISS :P

Some of your posts are just so......bizarre.

:lol:

b.

onephastkiss
GT

Postby onephastkiss » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:22 pm

who bee-bee or me...???I like hitting men that are carrying a ball up a field!!! and golfballs off roof-tops! BRUCE YOU IN???

joeynsophia
Intense

Postby joeynsophia » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:19 am

*****Cody Kelley Takes a first in Pro 4X at Northstar Pro GRT!!!! Kid has had a great year!!!! Has DH today and Air DH tomorrow. Getting warmed up for National Champs in NC at the end of Sept. Great job Cody!

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:40 pm

That's freaking awesome about Cody! Any video of him? & does Mike still race mtb?

2011 Share a Smile Triathlon. Orem, Utah.

So here it is, my first sprint Tri. 400 yards swim, 12 mile bike, 5k run.

We had to get up early & out of the house @ 5:15am. We got to the Orem Sara Pool & I started my warm up on the trainer. Iv'e been training on the swim part but still didn't feel very confident about that it. There was 300 people entered for this event & I saw peeps from every walk of life here. Novices to experts & everything in between. I also decided to ride my mtb again. I got my road bike set up but not till Thursday night. I went for a quick ride & it felt waay different than what I was used to so I decided not to screw with it.

When getting ready for your swim, you ask around to see who else swims your speed. I got in the group that swam (guessing) the distance in the 9 minute range. My turn to go came up & I struggled for the first half. Trying to remain calm, breath right & keeping your form is a witch & very frustrating if you haven't swam for years like me. The 2nd half of the swim I gathered myself & finished strong but got out of the pool with a time of 10min, 39 seconds.

You then run about 100 yards to the transistion area where your bike & gear are. I dicked around here waaay to long trying to put socks on wet feet & wasn't hurrying like I should of been.

I took off on the bike & had a great ride. Killed the hills & passed alot of people which got my confidence back up.
35in. 06 seconds.

After two loops I pulled into transistion again to change into my running shoes & dump my riding gear. Very fast tranny this time & I was off on the run. I felt great on the run but since I didn't know the course I took it easy & paced myself on the first lap. I shouldn't of done that because I stepped it up on the 2nd lap & still had gas in the tank at the finishline.
5k - 28 min, 39 seconds.

1hr 17min 44 seconds overall.
Put me in 3rd at that time & I ended up getting beat out of 3rd place by a minute & 1/2. If I didn't mess around on my first transition & had my roadbike it would of been a different story.

I'm not sure how many were in 40-49 mens but I would imagine around 30. So I can't complain but I'm pissed that I made so many 1st timer mistakes.

Danita crushed her swim w/ a 7:20.5 , a bike of 39:28.2 & run of 33:13.8. Great transistions got her an overall time of 1:22:43.8 which placed her in the top 6 in 40-49 womens.

Iv'e got a few more Tris planned in the coming months. I would suggest trying one of these events if your interested, even slightly. ALOT of fun!

Iv'e got to give a ton of thanks to Jackie for the advice & tips along the way, priceless bud! Thank you!

b.

ogr13
COG

Postby ogr13 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:59 pm

Great job Cody! Very cool!!
Bruce - congrats on you tri results and thanks for the great write up on it.
If only I didn't absolutely hate to run...
May have to try one just so I can check it off my list though.
Dave Cote
Crazy Old Guy

jnasty
GT

Postby jnasty » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:47 pm

top of Utah half marathon is in the books. My wifey killed at as always and I was happy just coming in under two hours. I have only ran four times in the last five weeks so I can't complain.

Great to hear of all the Utah BMX family out there doing great things in other sports.

Bruce send me an email with some tri info, I could be into that. Jonas801@gmail.com
DO WORK SON!

Return to “UtahBMX Hot Tub”