The other sports activities thread.

Any topic you want. Put your suit on and enjoy the bubbles. Just don't make your own!

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

bnd
Information Minister

The other sports activities thread.

Postby bnd » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:43 pm

Props to Jackie Muterspaugh for winning his class at a sprint Tri today. Not only won but killed his class. Hell YEAH!

The Ritters ran in the Rio Tinto 5k today with Danita 32:53 & me pushing 50lbs of double stroller at 26:20.

If your doing other sports activities like this, feel free to post up!

b.
“Sometimes if you want to see a change for the better, you have to take things into your own hands.”

Jackie
GT

Re: The other sports activities thread.

Postby Jackie » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:34 am

Miss being out at the track but I am in my final prep for the usa triathlon national championships in burlington VT on aug 20. Once that is over and hopefully a good result I will be right back out to play.

Send all your good vibes my way on that day as I will be in pain!!!
Jackie
Follow the fanny pack to the finish

McCauley
GHP

Postby McCauley » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:25 am

Best of Luck to you Jackie

McCauley

joker75
SBC Army

Postby joker75 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:34 pm

Good luck Jackie. Just don't tell anyone about your super secret training program. Shhhh. BMX racing is the bomb.
Hal Gaerte
Performance Bike Parts
Disclaimer: AKA of "Snappy" has nothing to do with my ability to snap a gate. It has everything to do with the sound bones make when the break. Don't ask, it's a touchy subject.

ogr13
COG

Postby ogr13 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:50 pm

Not being happy to just beat us on a bike, now Jackie can out swim and out run us!
Great job sir!!
COGs takin' over another sport!!
Dave Cote
Crazy Old Guy

b2
Not a Troll!

Postby b2 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:28 pm

Jackie is my hero!!! Way to go Jackie! Simply amazing!

Jackie
GT

Postby Jackie » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:42 pm

Trained with Troy Norda tonight on the road he is a beast we did hill repeats. I would hate to see that guy on a mt bike he is a masher!!! Thanks Troy for pushing me!

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:05 pm

33rd Annual Snowbird Hillclimb.

I looked around this morning in staging & saw that I was only about 1 of 5-6 people on Mt. bikes out of a couple hundred roadies. I put some slicks on my bike & went for it.
1990 & 1994 was somewhere around 1:20ish range.
1998 was my previous best of 1hr. 18 minutes & 30 seconds.
2003 - 1:21:11.
2004 - 1:20:13

Today - 1:15:58. 8)

Just getting better with age baby.

2 minutes into the race my heart rate jumped up to the high 160's - mid 170's & stayed there. My average heart rate was 171 with a max of 178.

Next up, my first sprint Tri in Big Piney, Wyoming next weekend.

b.
“Sometimes if you want to see a change for the better, you have to take things into your own hands.”

b2
Not a Troll!

Postby b2 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:04 pm

bnd wrote:33rd Annual Snowbird Hillclimb.

I looked around this morning in staging & saw that I was only about 1 of 5-6 people on Mt. bikes out of a couple hundred roadies. I put some slicks on my bike & went for it.
1990 & 1994 was somewhere around 1:20ish range.
1998 was my previous best of 1hr. 18 minutes & 30 seconds.
2003 - 1:21:11.
2004 - 1:20:13

Today - 1:15:58. 8)

Just getting better with age baby.

2 minutes into the race my heart rate jumped up to the high 160's - mid 170's & stayed there. My average heart rate was 171 with a max of 178.

Next up, my first sprint Tri in Big Piney, Wyoming next weekend.

b.

WOW! Great work OLD man! :)

jnasty
GT

Postby jnasty » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:50 pm

Top of Utah half marathon in two weeks, anyone coming up? The wifester and are are doing it, hit me up if you're running it.
DO WORK SON!

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:57 pm

Jonas,
Have you noticed if your running has helped your biking any?
The reason I mention that is because Iv'e been putting in the miles running & Iv'e noticed that it has helped my strength & power w/ riding, big time! Iv'e got my treadmill set at the highest incline plus a 2x4 under the front so it's really angled & it's a total calf blast.
Good luck with that 1/2, that's no joke & your & your wife must be in excellent shape.

Here's a pic from the start waving to my family.

b.

jnasty
GT

Postby jnasty » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:22 am

Bruce,
ABSOLUTELY! I have been running races for about three years now, with the St George Marathon being my longest in 2009. I feel that my cardio is through the roof and that helps me push through the finish lines on any track I go to. I have had to tweak my training, because running can hurt your fast twitch, but with fast treadmill work that can be balanced out.
The treadmill is an awesome tool that is under utilized. Incline training is where its at. I train at the hospital where the incline reaches 40% and speeds up to 25 mph. forwards, backwards,side to side, so much fun.
Running is a great break from cycling for me, and I know when I do it, my riding is going to benefit, so Im sure its going to help you rip the big bikes.

Jonas
DO WORK SON!

jnasty
GT

Postby jnasty » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:55 am

Ok everybody, here are some other events.

September 3rd, Logan Mud Run 5k. This is going to be a riot, 5k with 24 obstacles, and lots of mud.. Who doesnt like playing in the mud?
Followed up with The Utah downhill MTN bike series September 4th at Wolf MTN. Come cheer on some local BMX young guns, Joey Foresta, Cody Kelly, and myself will be ripping the course. If you are signed up hit me up at the Lake Town Bicycles/ GT pit area.
DO WORK SON!

Jackie
GT

Postby Jackie » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:26 am

I just had the opportunity to walk the hallowed grounds of the basketball hall of fame in springfield mass on my way up to vermont, what a treat!!! What a cool place highly recommend for you hoop fans if you get a chance GO

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:19 pm

8-20-11.1st annual Big Piney, Wyoming dualathlon.

This was orginally supposed to be a Tri but the high school decided to pull out of the swim at the last minute. Doesn't hurt my feelings because I still need work in that area.
Bike - 13miles, hilly course. 5k flat course. Elevation roughly 7000 ft. :roll:

Since this was the towns first event like this & there was hardly no advertising (last minute thing) there were 10 participants. The comp was tough though.
The race started & it quickly turned into a 4 person race for the lead with me & 3 other dudes. One guy was fully kitted out in an 8k tri bike & looked very professional. I was the only guy on a mt. bikew/ slicks. It was a full-on drag race. We drafted & realized I was going to have a hard time keeping up. about mile 5there was a nasty hill & Imade a move, went into a full ou tof the saddle sprintfor about 30-45 seconds to try to break away but those guys hung on. I stayed with them until I got dropped off the back at about mile 10. My bike was just not rolling as fast as theirs. I didn't give up though & hammered all the way to the transistion & saw that I wasn't far behind. As I was entering, those guys were leaving. The ride was as fast as Iv'e ever ridden, redline, full-tilt the whole way.

The run. It was the first time Iv'e gone from the bike to a run & it was weird. My legs were still trying to turn circles instead of running. It took about a mile before I found my legs & got into my rythem. I passed one of the guys at about mile one stooped over & walking back. He was in pain & was having issues. One of the other guys was part of the relay race & his son was doing the running. So that left tri-guy & I could see him up about a 1/4 mile ahead. Istarted feeling really good about the halfway point & turned it up. I started catching him & the last 1/4mile I was reeling him in but couldn't quite get him. He beat me for the overall #1 by 18 seconds! Another 200 yards & I think I would of had him.

What a fun event!
Bruce 1:08:57 bike - 41:29, run - 26:32.
Danita 1:26:30 bike - 48:38, run - 36:26.
D hurt her knee & limped the last half of the run. Hopefully she will be ok for next weeks event.

Big Piney says they are going to make this an annual event.

b.

Return to “UtahBMX Hot Tub”