The other sports activities thread.

Any topic you want. Put your suit on and enjoy the bubbles. Just don't make your own!

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

bnd
Information Minister

Re: The other sports activities thread.

Postby bnd » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:12 pm

City Creek Bike Sprint.

I don't know how many of you know where this canyon is, it runs North - South next to the Capital, bordering the Aves. This event has been going as long as I can remember, the first time I did it was back in the early 90's. Waking up this morning it was freaking cold & my windshield was frozen over. It's always been like this for this race, cold & wet.
I loaded up my MTB & headed up. The turnout wasn't bad, maybe 50-70 riders. I only counted 6 mt. bikers including me. It's been about 8 or more years since I last did this race & even though I've raced this event a dozen times, I forgot the in's & outs of the canyon it's been so long.
The bell sounded & we took off. I wore tights & my go-to long sleeved, cold weather jersey & it was spot on. I drafted as much as I could & had plenty of riders doing the same to me. About halfway through the 6 mile race it gets steep, really steep. I paced myself & knew that the guy I was following was in the lead in the MTB class. I trailed him until I saw the finish about 100 yards ahead. I dropped a few gears & jumped him. I dropped him no prob but set my sights on a roadie who was drafting me the whole way, passed me about a mile back & he was struggling big time. I gassed it & passed him about 10ft. before the finishline. That felt great coming off the finsh I had last week at the cyclocross event. Take that, roadie scum!
I finished with a time of 32:05 but I know I could shave 2 minutes off that with slicks & giving it a better effort. I didn't feel 100%, tired legs & only halfway motivated for some reason.
There was snow on the ground at the top & it was cold, really cold. I waited for the results to get posted & saw that the organizers screwed up. I ended up winning my mtb age group plus the mtb overall but they had my name in the road bike class(!). They also didn't get the guy who won 50-59 right either. After they announced the winners we talked & I didn't say anything. The guys they gave our medals to looked like they just won the lottery so I didn't want to ruin their day. No big deal.
The ride down the canyon was brutally cold. I couldn't feel my toes until I was halfway home. Anyways, I had a good time & now it's time to get serious & get back on the "Robby Patterson " training program, like I was 2 years ago.

Thanks for reading.

b.
“Sometimes if you want to see a change for the better, you have to take things into your own hands.”

McCauley
GHP

Postby McCauley » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:57 am

Nice Riding Bruc , see you at indoor

McCauley

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:16 pm

We will be at Brighton tomorrow (Monday) snowboarding if anybody wants to join us.

b.
“Sometimes if you want to see a change for the better, you have to take things into your own hands.”

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:28 pm

The conditions were ok, they do need some more snow but overall it wasn't bad. NO people though which was nice. Going back up in 2 weeks.

Our little shredder. 8)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mr5KAFaxuE&list=UURHaDEJ5S0xpI4kjmAzUIlg&index=1&feature=plpp_video

b.

b2
Not a Troll!

Postby b2 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:07 pm

some friends from work and I put in a little over a half-day on Friday, 2-17, @ Brighton. My buddy had his GoPro and we got a little bit of footage and from that, here's a little edit he made: http://youtu.be/YFIGzwqcDo0

I'm in the green jacket/silver helmet. I wore the camera in most of the footage. dig it!

The song is Voices, by Phantogram.

sixstringsteve
GT

Postby sixstringsteve » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:15 am

Great filming, editing, music and riding! Man, I need to hit the slopes at least once this year. Were you using the chest mount for most of that? It's one of the first videos I've seen that didn't use the super wide angle. It looked great.

b2
Not a Troll!

Postby b2 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:00 pm

sixstringsteve wrote:Great filming, editing, music and riding! Man, I need to hit the slopes at least once this year. Were you using the chest mount for most of that? It's one of the first videos I've seen that didn't use the super wide angle. It looked great.

yup. chest mount while I was wearing the camera. i was trying to make sure it was getting the other guys while i was wearing it, too. i would even angle my body and/or the camera a little to help with that.

i had no input on the editing nor the song, but really like how it came together.

thanks.

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:26 pm

Great footage Brent.
We are are going to Brighton next Monday, hopefully some fresh snow will fall Sunday night.

b.

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:14 pm

We went to Brighton today & the conditions are ok if your into the groomers & borderline ice. We put Grady back into a lesson & he's off his edgy wedgy & skiing free. My snowboard boots were KILLING me so before I picked up Grady & went back to the car & put the skis on. First time in 20 years Iv'e skied. I LOVED it! It all came back so fast & I honestly felt better than I ever have. I
I'm going to give them an all-mountain shot in 2 weeks when we go back. I raced Grady a few times on the bunny hill & he scared me with his flat out speed, no lie.

They need like two big dumps up there.

b.

b2
Not a Troll!

Postby b2 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:34 pm

get some new snowboard boots! it's all in the boots! i do need to try to ski at least once in my life, though.

hopefully getting some snow this week...

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:43 pm

Yeah, the boots I have are pretty thrashed. I use Clicker bindings & the boot selection I think is limited, at least last time I checked. Danita runs Flows & I might get a used set of those because we have have 3 extra sets of regular boots. Too late in the season to drop money on new gear unless I find a screaming deal.
Like I said, I was totally surprised on getting back on skis. I thought I would be all over the place & I felt great after 1 bunny hill run. The skis we have are only a few years old as are the boots so I imagine the technology has come leaps & bounds since last time I skied. Really stable.
I would imagine you would pick it up fast. I'll let you know when we plan our next day. Maybe you can rent a set & head up with us.

b.

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:26 pm

Epic powder day at Brighton, finally!

b.

b2
Not a Troll!

Postby b2 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:06 pm

bnd wrote:Epic powder day at Brighton, finally!

b.

I was up there yesterday. Wish I would have played hooky and gone today! 32" in 48 hours.

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:17 pm

We got up there at 9:45am & the parking lot was 3/4 full. We put Grady in another lesson & we were able to ride by ourselves until noon. It was soooo nice to hit knee high+ pow for a change, I LOVE riding in those conditions. I picked up Grady & we all went up Majestic a few times. I traded out the board for skis too. I learned really quick that when you attempt to get off the groomers into the powder on skis, the game changes bigtime. I got thrown forward & ate it the 1st time then learned you really have to lean back. Even then it takes alot more skills to ride in the stuff. The last run of the day for me was by myself down Great Western & I was able to go faster & really work on my technique. I had to stop twice because my quads were burning so bad.
I still had a great time on the skis & want to make it a goal to become a very good skier in the future.

b.

b2
Not a Troll!

Postby b2 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:39 pm

bnd wrote:We got up there at 9:45am & the parking lot was 3/4 full. We put Grady in another lesson & we were able to ride by ourselves until noon. It was soooo nice to hit knee high+ pow for a change, I LOVE riding in those conditions. I picked up Grady & we all went up Majestic a few times. I traded out the board for skis too. I learned really quick that when you attempt to get off the groomers into the powder on skis, the game changes bigtime. I got thrown forward & ate it the 1st time then learned you really have to lean back. Even then it takes alot more skills to ride in the stuff. The last run of the day for me was by myself down Great Western & I was able to go faster & really work on my technique. I had to stop twice because my quads were burning so bad.
I still had a great time on the skis & want to make it a goal to become a very good skier in the future.

b.

Sounds like a great time. I was with a friend who was still learning but we had some great runs off of Crest... and a 12 year-old kid challenged me to a race... he didn't win... by a long ways.

I was aching to hit Milly and/or GeeDub. Those lines down off the cat into the Snake Creek area are a blast when there's all that new snow.

Return to “UtahBMX Hot Tub”