The other sports activities thread.

Any topic you want. Put your suit on and enjoy the bubbles. Just don't make your own!

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

JAlvey
GT

Re: The other sports activities thread.

Postby JAlvey » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:47 pm

i think we'll need to update this with a surfing vid next week from chula vista>>>

Jackie
GT

Postby Jackie » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:59 pm

Triathlon season kicks off in about a week with the Icebreaker sprint tri in American fork then the next weekend in st george for the SHAC sprint Tri then back up to Orem the following week for the Telos Timp tri let the fun begin tired of training let's get racing!!!
Follow the fanny pack to the finish

ogr13
COG

Postby ogr13 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:34 pm

Go Jackie, Go!
Need to do a COG TRI jersey... 8)
Dave Cote
Crazy Old Guy

b2
Not a Troll!

Postby b2 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:27 pm

I little edit from snowboarding yesterday: click.

Ron DeHeer
Huffy

Postby Ron DeHeer » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:03 pm

Clay and I started road riding this week to get ready for the salt lake century ride in may yes that's a 100 mile ride not bad for a 9 yr old. Anyone want to join us its may 19th

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:37 pm

Brent, I think we left up around 4 tickets on the table for Brighton. We just didn't have enough time to use all of them this year. :roll: Love the Ministry track.

Yesterday D did the 4th Street Sprint Tri up a the U of U.
She smoked her swim & had a very good transistion considering it was 43*'s outside. This event was a Mt. bike race so they took off from the Huntsman Center & rode up by Red Butte & around the bench then back down. She was gone for a long time & I knew something was up. She broke her chain right near the top & coasted back. She ran her 5k & still ended up 1st in her class but she was really bummed because she was in contention for the overall female title.

Ron,
Good for your kid! Iv'e done a few of these & they are not easy.

b.
“Sometimes if you want to see a change for the better, you have to take things into your own hands.”

Jackie
GT

Postby Jackie » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:41 am

I have knocked out a couple of sprint triathlon's so far this year. I had personal best's in both races and won my division down in st george. I usually race clydesdale ( over 200 llbs ) but in st george they did not have that division so I had to go head to head with the skinny small guys my age and I won by 4:00 and had my best time at 1:04:42 very pleased. Will be heading back down to St george May 19 for the SG tri first open water event , this course is comparable to the National Championship course so looking forward to testing my fitness against where I want to be at the national championships in August.

Looking forward to some "speed work" out at the track soon
Follow the fanny pack to the finish

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:25 pm

Nice work Jackie.

Is anybody doing 5-Mile Pass this Saturday?
D & I are & I am really looking forward to it. Iv'e been training my ASS off for the past 2 months & if I don't do well, I'll be very disappointed. 12 miles of pain & suffering, here I come. 8)

b.
“Sometimes if you want to see a change for the better, you have to take things into your own hands.”

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Sat May 05, 2012 3:48 pm

May 5th, 2012. Showdown at 5-Mile Pass MTB race.

Well, it's raceday & we got up early, alot earlier than I expected courtesy of my neighbors dog barking at 1:30am this morning. I couldn't really get back to sleep so I wasn't too happy when 5:30am rolled around. We took off at 8am & made good time out there. 5-Mile is just west of Eagle Mt. heading to Tooele.
I felt like I was prepared both physically & mentally for this race so after warming up, we went to staging & waited for our class to go. I saw & talked to Mike Oblad a few rows up in the clydesdale division. He looked great. I also saw Stephan Anderson, 30 something intermediate. I eyeballed my comp & it looked to be about 15-20 of us in 40-49. The stager got us going & I settled onto the leaders wheel. After about a 1/4 I turned around & noticed we had a pretty healthy gap on the field, that made me feel good but the guy I was following put the hammer down & I just couldn't keep the pace. The guy was an animal climbing. I made really good time but was caught by 2 of my comp. We all settled into a cat & mouse game & I knew I was in a fight if I wanted to get a top 3.
Right before the 1/2 way point there is the nastiest hike & bike section imaginable. No riding & it's so steep few are able to jog up it. 150 yards straight up. I was able to catch my comp here & at the top, where some guys are actually puking, I felt ok even though my heart wanted to jump out of my chest.

We were still together for the next couple of miles until the downhill section came up. It's balls to the wall, super fast, technical 1-line. If you get off line at speed your dealing with gravel, sand & rocks the size of Kisslingers head. About 500 yerds down & was leading & I couldn't hold a fast corner line. I started feeling my front end drift then finally wash, I KNEW this was going to be bad & hurt like hell. I landed on my right side & came to a stop. The guy behind me blasted right on by, the guy behind him stopped to see if I was ok. I waited for a few seconds & realized other than the searing pain of roadrash up & down the right side of my leg, I was ok. I managed, I don't know how to miss any & all rocks that were everywhere. I hopped back on my bike & was pumped. The adreniline kicked in & I was flat out. I passed 3 riders & nearly my comp that almost ran over me.

After this section it's nothing but nasty little hills that take you into granny gear & you just have to mentally tough it out. The guy behind me passed me & I couldn't hang. I started to really suffer at this point but just toughed it out. Everybody at this point is in the same boat so you just get through it. I finished strong & felt like I left nothing out on the course.

So I went to the scoring table & I was bummed that I placed 4th. I podiumed but from the 1st to 4th place times were 3 minutes total apart. After me, the next guy was 5 minutes back. I figured my crash took me about 30-45 seconds out of my overall, 3rd place beat me by 1 minute so I don't know if I could of caught him but 2nd & 3rd place was decided by 5 seconds so I like to think I could of been in the hunt. I'm pretty hard on myself after these types of races but I came away pretty happy. I was in the mix & it looks like if I keep after it, I might have a shot at a win this summer. I can also tell you that XC mtb racing is by far one of, if not the toughest type of bike racing out there. It's a sprint for, in my case, 1hr & 15 minutes for 11.5 miles.

Danita raced & got 4th in her class, she had a good time but really wasn't excited with her result & time. 1hr 43 minutes. So, being the Dirt Diva Sparten she is, she's running a 5k right this moment, 3 hrs later. :shock:

Oh yeah, I would love to be sporting a COG mtb jersey! (hint, hint).

b.

onephastkiss
GT

Postby onephastkiss » Sat May 05, 2012 8:30 pm

how far is a YERD? Is it like how far my head can roll in 30 seconds! sounded fun. And your neighbors dog...I know a guy!

Ron DeHeer
Huffy

Postby Ron DeHeer » Sun May 06, 2012 12:29 am

Good job on the race 5 mile is a fun and hard race I have done it a few times myself. Love the downhill section that is where I make up time pedalin downhill. Have you done the snowbird race I think the hill climbs on that are worse but still a fun race. Who else does mtn ridin racing I am always lookin for people to ride with

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Sun May 06, 2012 9:43 am

Thanks Ron.
Go to page 1, post 6 or so to check out the Snowbird race report. I'll be doing that again this year.

b.

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Sat May 19, 2012 2:52 pm

I-Cup MTB series, Hammerfest at Soldier Hollow.

I tried my luck again in mtb & entered this race. I wasn't excatly confident for this race, I had not pre-rode the course & I only got to train twice in 2 weeks since the last mtb race.

The race was set in the foothills surrounding S.H. & it's stunning. Absoultely beautiful. It looked like there was a ton of climbing thru out on single & double track. I gridded up & we had about 10+ guys in 40+. The course starts off on some very steep pavement climbs then off onto the dirt. The bell went off & I fell into 2nd place from the getgo to try to hang with the leader. 100 yards into it my chain fell off my granny gear(!) I stopped, put it back on but was already behind. I gased it up the climb & settled into 2nd again. So the pavement ends & heads up the mt. I wasn't paying attention & kept on riding on the pavement(!!)
One of my competitors yelled at me & I turned around & found myself at the back of the pack, pissed off.

So about another mile or 2 of up & down stuff we were all together & I see some really steep & long double track coming up. I decide to make a move & crush this pack on this climb. I feel GREAT. I put my head down & hammered for awhile, 1st chance I get I turn around & see nobody. I look ahead & can see the leader in the distance.......maybe I have a chance of catching him. So about the 1/3 mark I have to grab granny for a very steep climb & BOOM, my chain sucks off the big cog & jams beteen the hub(!!!) I knew this was trouble, I was redlined & couldn't believe it. I effed with it for at least 1 1/2- 2 minutes when here comes my comp passing me. I took me another 30 seconds to either pull it out or break something, the chain came out & I was off. By this time I knew I was not going to be a contender.
I got back up to speed but couldn't see anybody. So, about another mile or 2 the trail went acoss a ridgeline, singletrack on a steep hillside. I had to gear down for another section & my derailer caught something, I stalled & FELL over on the downside of the trail (!!!!). I went head over heels & landed about 10ft down onto some trees & scrub brush. I could feel myself bleeding & scratched up. It took me another 30-60 seconds just to get out of that situation. I just shook my head & basically thru in the towel.
I put it on cruise control & just was pissed off. I kept at it on the hills & decended like a bat out of hell. About the last 2 miles or so, there was still some really steep, long climbs left. On the 1st one I saw a pack of riders & told myself just try to catch them, so I put out the effort, decended good on the other side & at the next climb I saw that it was the group of guys in my class. I put hammer down again (I'm really suffering btw) & passed all of them. One guy stepped it up & hung onto my wheel.

Him & I dropped the others & it was on till the finishline. The descent was big ring FAST single track. I decided to let him lead as I didn't know the trail. One last grinder of a hill left & he barely made it over with me thinking on passing but after a quick check, nobody was behind us so I played it cool. The last mile was bomb city & I had to really over ride my hardtail to keep up, he was on a full susp, he tried like hell to drop me but I stayed on him.

Going into the arena there is a good 100 yard flat finish. I locked out my fork, geared just right & waited on his back tire. With 50 yards to go I pulled out & pulled his ass & beat him by a bike length. The timer had me beating him by .01.... 8)

So I damn near collapsed after the finishline & dropped everything. I was pretty discusted on how my luck went down in this race. So I kicked around for a few minutes, went over to that guy I beat & shook hands. I went over to the results board & no crap, here's my tag saying 3rd place..... :shock: :shock:
My jaw hit the ground.

This is the first time I have placed 3rd or better at a cross country MTB event. That definatly took the sting out of all the crap I went thru. Persistance I guess is the word of the day for me.
Next stop is to the bike shop to see wtf is up with my Shimano XTR derailer & shifters......... :roll:

Thanks for reading.

b.

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:39 pm

Congrats to all the BMX family that finished Ragnar. D dragged her butt in the house late Saturday night. Hobbling & bruised but happy she did it.

b.

b2
Not a Troll!

Postby b2 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:19 am

bnd wrote:Congrats to all the BMX family that finished Ragnar. D dragged her butt in the house late Saturday night. Hobbling & bruised but happy she did it.

b.

Zach Coon, Missy Hartley, Jonas & Devin Harmon, Devin's cousin Weston and I were in a van together. It was actually very fun--and I HATE running! It's quite a challenge but a good time. I know Jackie Muterspaugh was doing it--probably on an elite team. I heard Chris Morley was on an elite team. I'm terrible with names--but I ran into another BMXing dad at South Summit High School... Who else?...

Return to “UtahBMX Hot Tub”