The other sports activities thread.

Any topic you want. Put your suit on and enjoy the bubbles. Just don't make your own!

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

b2
Not a Troll!

Re: The other sports activities thread.

Postby b2 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:55 pm

PS: looks like a fun ride. I might really need to think about those big funny bikes...

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:04 pm

Here's a little re-cap of my trip, from what I can remember because we drank like fishes after each ride.

We decided to try our luck & stay at the Sand Flats Campground area. The traffic heading into town was busy so I didn't think our luck wasn't going to be good. The Ranger said they were full but if we see an empty site, it's ours. The 1st campsite on your left, we pulled in & low & behold there's an empty space! We ask the neighbors it they are coming back & they said no, so we were set.
We hit up Slickrock around 1pm Friday & we took our time. Had a blast & I talked my bud into dropping in to the halfpipe. We ended up staying there for at least a 1/2 hour moving over to the left drop in area, little by little, till it was a huge drop (at least it felt that way). Good times. Even though I was sleeping in my cargo trailer I froze my ASS off. I was too tired to get up & dig around for my spare sleeping bag.

We had a friend drive down Saturday morning & join us for the weekend. We decided to do Porcupine Rim......from our campsite........yeah.
It actually wasn't too bad until the end. Still my favorite ride (so far). We ate a good lunch at the look out point & met a few cool dudes that ended up joining us. One of them was on a full ridged, early 90's GT w/ a bike rack! Dude was in his mid-50's & hard as hard comes. Skater helmet & hiking boots topped off his look. BTW, the LLDR's were in full effect at the lookout. I never really noticed but after a thread on here they stood out like sore thumbs. One gal tipped over 50ft from the top, right in front of everybody. She also couldn't get unclipped & just layed there under her bike until one of her teammates helped her out.
We took off & I was able to get over a pretty knarly step/wall that got the better of me years ago. I was also feeling pretty good when I came up onto the "diving board" area & went big. Actually got a few compliments from the LLDR crowd standing off to the side. On the last part of the trail, I hooked up with a couple who not only had skills but were going pretty fast. The female was fricking awesome when it came to skills. At the end of the trail we all shot the Zip a de doo da, regrouped & headed back into town. The ride back to the campsite sucked the big donkey d**k & overall, that one ride was the longest & hardest Iv'e ever done on my MTB.

Sunday we decided to do the Poison Spider Trail. I hated it & with the wind that kicked up & the endless sand pits it wasn't worth the effort the scenic lookout point IMO.. The overlook was awesome though.

Everytime I go to Moab I ask myself why the hell don't I come down here more often? It's right in my backyard. Next trip, The Whole Enchilata &/or Mag 7.

So here's my one & only rant & one observation.
- It never ceases to amaze me that when riding SlickRock you encounter the tourist who is riding a rental, wearing Levis & have 1 small water bottle. Not to mention little to marginal bike handling skills. How many times have I been asked, "How far is it to the end?" by somebody that has absolutly no biz being out there, looking like they KNOW they bit off more than they can chew.
- My job demands great customer service & I pride myself on doing my best in that dept. I expect the same from others. I went to Poison Spider Bikes twice, once on entering town & the other passing thru when we were heading to the campsite off of Porcupine Rim. The flunkies that were manning the front cash register were absolutly worthless on EVERY level. Un-friendly, un-informative.....efffing worthless. Giving my change back by putting it on the counter, not saying a word & walking away. I'm sure all the employees are not like this but I am never going back there again.
.....On the other hand when I was hopping on my bike, shaking my head after the 2nd time, I was trying to remember the bike shop that was off a side street & it didn't take long to spot their sign as I pedaled thru town. I stopped by there on the way out of town Sunday..............Rim Cyclery.
I hadn't been in there in 10 years & they haven't changed. As soon as I walked in the big dude in the back came out & offered his help. The staff was extremely friendly & helpful but not overbearing. Dude even gave me some free RC stickers. As I was walking out the gal at the front counter, who didn't even deal with us wished us well. They have my business till I die.

Anyways, I took a ton of Go-Pro footage, I'll try to get some up soon.
Thanks for reading.

b.
“Sometimes if you want to see a change for the better, you have to take things into your own hands.”

Pbandj19
Huffy

Postby Pbandj19 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:02 pm

Great write up! Me and a few guys are doing a weekend down there next month. Looking forward to it!

crash
GT

Postby crash » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:39 pm

Love Moab even though we don't go enough. My thoughts on customer service there are about the same as your experience it seems that there are a ton of self absorbed narcissist granolas with Zip a de doo da for attitudes, that only work there so they can make enough to stay and climb, ride, whatever. I always thought that it would be good to open a place and offer good service like your friends place and you would rule the place. Such a cool place with so much potential.

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Mon May 06, 2013 8:15 pm

Jackie,
Are you still doing a lot of tris this season?

b.
“Sometimes if you want to see a change for the better, you have to take things into your own hands.”

Jackie
GT

Postby Jackie » Tue May 07, 2013 8:02 pm

Yes sir !!! I have done 3 so far this year and 3 5k races. I am racing in bountiful this weekend and then in st George next weekend . I ran ragnar southern California 3 weeks ago and will run ragnar Wasatch back in June and RAGNAR nappa valley in September. Plan to do 12 tri's this year in total . I am slightly addicted that is for sure. I hope to sneak out to the track Thursday for a few gates this week.

Always hit me up for a mountain bike road bike, run , swim , drift Trike session !!! yes I built 4 adult size drift trikes so we need to get out and shred big wheels !!!!
Follow the fanny pack to the finish

bnd
Information Minister

Wolf Mt. Mayhem/DH/SD/ June 8-9th.

Postby bnd » Tue May 28, 2013 8:36 am

Wolf Mountain Mayhem
Wolf Mountain Resort
Super D on Saturday, June 8
Downhill on Sunday, June 9

I want to race the Super D event, being a 1st timer I would like to hook up with anybody going up. Also, what can I expect from this course? I'll be racing my Reign XO. What class should I enter, the same as the other BMXers I see in 40-49 Cat 2? Full face helmet?

Thanks.
b.

joeynsophia
Intense

Re: Wolf Mt. Mayhem/DH/SD/ June 8-9th.

Postby joeynsophia » Tue May 28, 2013 9:45 am

There will be a bunch of us up there. We would love to see ya there and you are welcome to hang in the Lake Town pits. You will see both full and half shell helmets. It gets pretty dusty, so I would recomend full goggles regardless of what you choose to put on your noggin. Based on reputation (I have never seen you mtn bike but know you have great skills) I would sign up as a Cat2. You may want to talk to Phil at Lake Town as he has raced many of these and knows the competition, course, and set up you should run.

See ya up there!

LocoTone
GT

Postby LocoTone » Tue May 28, 2013 1:13 pm

I'm already registered for this event, and I believe Dave and Ty Cote plan on riding up with me for a riding/practice day since Ty is going to be racing the DH on Sunday. I'm sure Doug Cheney will be racing this SuperD considering he's been racing the series for a few years, and this is probably his home turf. Chris Cogsdil and Stephen Anderson have both shown interest as well. Feel free to call me, maybe we can all ride up, or at least meet up for some breakfast on the way. See ya at Legacy on Sat.

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Thu May 30, 2013 10:13 pm

Last straight/climb to finish at Corner Canyon.

I wonder if this lookback would of gotten me dq'ed at RC? :P

b.

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:49 pm

b2 wrote:
bnd wrote:33rd Annual Snowbird Hillclimb.

I looked around this morning in staging & saw that I was only about 1 of 5-6 people on Mt. bikes out of a couple hundred roadies. I put some slicks on my bike & went for it.
1990 & 1994 was somewhere around 1:20ish range.
1998 was my previous best of 1hr. 18 minutes & 30 seconds.
2003 - 1:21:11.
2004 - 1:20:13

Today - 1:15:58. 8)

Just getting better with age baby.

2 minutes into the race my heart rate jumped up to the high 160's - mid 170's & stayed there. My average heart rate was 171 with a max of 178.

Next up, my first sprint Tri in Big Piney, Wyoming next weekend.

b.

WOW! Great work OLD man! :)

I couldn't do the Snowbird HC last year but I'm back this year for the events 35th time. Looks like D is 50/50 on this as she rolled her ankle at the gym Friday. It looks like a few people are also in so the more the merrier. It's this upcoming Saturday at 9am.

b.

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:54 am

35th Snowbird Hillclimb.

I knocked 4 minutes, 5 seconds off of my time 2 years ago, came in at a personal best @ 1hr. 11 minutes & 48 seconds. My goal is to hit 1hr flat by the time I am 50 in 2 1/2 years from now.
Danita, doing this as a 1st timer got in at 1 hr. 53 minutes. Very proud of her.

Next stop, the Draper Fall Classic Mt. bike race next weekend in Corner Canyon.

b.

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:07 pm

2013 Draper Fall Classic, Corner Canyon. 25 mile race.

Here's my little write up on todays racing at the Draper Fall Classic in which I raced in the 25 mile option.

The Bad.
Not much to complain about other than me going the wrong way (again) nearing the finish line coming into the tunnel. Making a left instead of a right. The signs were laying on the ground & it doesn't take much to confuse me. :wink:
Litterbugs! Jeez, stop dropping your gel paks on the trail during races. I'm sure it only takes a few hikers to complain that "all those racers are littering up the trails". It only takes one, I saw a half a dozen.

The Ugly.
So I was heading into the Anns trail section right on the back wheel of a Jr.
I decided to follow him & it ended up as being one of the highlights of my day. The kid was named Brynn(?), maybe 14 & rode for DNA. I found out right away this kid had excellent desending skills. I got right on his butt & he turned it up a notch. Him & I re-created that speeder scene in the forest in Return of the Jedi. We were FLYING, warp 10. I was very impressed with his smoothness & speed. Seriously, it was the fastest I have ever rode down that section & we were killing it. We were about 3/4 of the way down when we came around a blind corner that tightened up. His elbow caught a tree, my handlebar caught the same tree...........BOOM, high speed death.
I went otbs in the middle of the trail & it wasn't pretty. Knees & elbows took on rocks & roots & I lost. I had the air knocked out of me for a few & I got up to gather myself, Brynn stopped & asked it I was OK a few times, I managed to blurt out a OK & he was off. Class act that kid is & his parents shoud be proud. I sat for a few minutes in a lot pain, bleeding from all sorts of places & saw as my competition started passing me one after another. At this point I almost decided to call it a race & ride down to the finish but something or someone in my head started screaming at me..... was it Zosa? Was it Cobes?? Screaming at me to "Suck it up swingset!!!, nobody quits in mt. bike racing!!!"
After about 5 minutes I rode down to the tunnel & spent another 5 minutes at the 7.5 mile point to adjust bent bars & decide to either finish or call it a race.

The Good.
I decided to finish the race & even though I am paying for it now, I'm glad I did. I actually started feeling better as the miles came, I loosened up & pretty soon by the time I hit BSL/Clarks & was feeling like I was on fire. Catching all the riders that passed me & feeling good going into Rush. I passed Bruce Argyle at the beginning of Rush & said hi but I don't think he knew who I was. Finished on a strong note & knocked about 30 minutes off of my time last year with time considered from my crash.
About the event, I thought the 8:30am start was awesome. The weather was good except for the wind. The course changed up a few things & that nasty climb about a mile in on the service road took me by surprise. Bypassing the Silica Pit didn't suck either, thanks!
The volunteers ruled, thanks. I passed what seemed to be 30 trail builders along the way & tried to thank them for their work, thanks. I was able to catch up with Adam, Sally (thanks for the encouragement) & Cory Spencer. The UTMB Team are lucky to have such nice & decent people/racers on their team. Nice catching up with you guys. See you at CX?
At the finish I caught up with Brynn & we talked about what happened. He said he had a BMX background (of course 8~) ), he should try his hand at Super D, Enduro too IMO.

Overall, great event, I LOVE this venue & as I sit here with ice bags on my legs, got about 5k mgs IB in me & am on my 3rd Stella waiting to chow down on brats & looking forward to the Ute game..........holy crap, Adam has a Y sticker on his helmet :lol: , I had a GREAT EFFING DAY.

Thanks for reading,
Bruce. Go Utes!

joeynsophia
Intense

Postby joeynsophia » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:12 pm

Canyons DH Grassroots race

Come on out and race or watch...Should be a good time

9 am registration.....Practice 10am till 2pm....Race at 2:30.

LocoTone
GT

Postby LocoTone » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:44 pm

Here's a handful of us headed up to the Canyons Resort on sat the 28th for a proper send off to the summer riding season. Half price lift tickets, bike rentals, and good times.

Return to “UtahBMX Hot Tub”